I'm looking to make some bumpers...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robocody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm thinking about designing and welding up some bumpers for my '03 KJ, but It is -15 out right now, and I'm not able to use my garage... I figure I can just draw the parts up now and have my brother do the assembly work in his shop. The only problem is that I have no clue about the mounting points used for the front and rear bumpers, and it's too darn cold and snowy (1.5 fee all around the jeep :D) to go out there and measure at the moment.

Does anyone have the measurements off hand for the mounting points on a front and rear bumper? If so, that would be awesome... and I'll make a CAD template for the bumper and make it available to everyone. While I'm at it, if anyone has the dimensions for the mounting holes on the various skid plates, I can also draw up some CAD templates for those.

Thanks,
-Cody

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet sounds cool. I may be scanning in the front end of a KJ (with bumper off). I can export the scan data to anything you use (Catia, SolidWorks, AutoCAD, etc...). It may help in development. Unfortunately this may not happen for a few weeks because we are currently completing other work.

Zylfrax791

Reaction score
The only problem is that I have no clue about the mounting points used for the front and rear bumpers, and it's too darn cold and snowy (1.5 fee all around the jeep :D) to go out there and measure at the moment. Does anyone have the measurements off hand for the mounting points on a front and rear bumper? If so, that would be awesome... and I'll make a CAD template for the bumper and make it available to everyone. While I'm at it, if anyone has the dimensions for the mounting holes on the various skid plates, I can also draw up some CAD templates for those.

Little background here. I previously owned a 2002 KJ until 2007 and I've worked on probably over 50 collision damaged KJ's at my body shop. Needless to say, with the exception of pulling the motor there isn't any part of one I haven't worked on. That said, there isn't really any good place to mount anything sturdy on either end, especially on the rear end. I think ARB made a front bumper that mounted where the optional stock front hooks were mounted but I don't know where you would really mount anything on the back. Once you take the rear cover off there are typically one large or two small plastic energy absorbers that are riveted to the rear body panel and thats about it. Maybe in the rear if you could use the factory hitch mounts to mount your custom bumper. Good luck.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Little background here. I previously owned a 2002 KJ until 2007 and I've worked on probably over 50 collision damaged KJ's at my body shop. Needless to say, with the exception of pulling the motor there isn't any part of one I haven't worked on. That said, there isn't really any good place to mount anything sturdy on either end, especially on the rear end. I think ARB made a front bumper that mounted where the optional stock front hooks were mounted but I don't know where you would really mount anything on the back. Once you take the rear cover off there are typically one large or two small plastic energy absorbers that are riveted to the rear body panel and thats about it. Maybe in the rear if you could use the factory hitch mounts to mount your custom bumper. Good luck.

There are companies making rear bumpers and they find places to mount them;)

Robocody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll probably just end up making a "Bull bar" for the front, and mount it to the factory tow hook holes (Anyone know the bolt pattern?) All I need is a couple recovery points... I have stock Fogs. I might even make some tow hooks with D-rings. $70 for the pair isn't that cheap for the OEMs when I can have my brother make some for free.

And as for the rear, I plan on making a full bumper and mounting it to the Hitch spot, if anyone has any Idea about the width and bolt holes for that...

If Nobody does, I can just wait a couple weeks and go out and measure them myself:D

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll probably just end up making a "Bull bar" for the front, and mount it to the factory tow hook holes (Anyone know the bolt pattern?) All I need is a couple recovery points... I have stock Fogs. I might even make some tow hooks with D-rings. $70 for the pair isn't that cheap for the OEMs when I can have my brother make some for free.

And as for the rear, I plan on making a full bumper and mounting it to the Hitch spot, if anyone has any Idea about the width and bolt holes for that...

If Nobody does, I can just wait a couple weeks and go out and measure them myself:D

Here's a picture of the bolts from my tows hooks. This is the passanger side hook. The Driver side is the same way but revsered. The two bolts on the left is actaully an M Bolt. and for the single one on the other side there was a insert that you slide in so there is something the bolt can go on too. I don't know the measurements but at least you got a ruff idea now incase you never looed under the bumper.

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You may want to really look at how other companies do theirs , ARB for example does not use the tow hook bolt holes only, they have 3 bolts per side into the front frame rail then also have two bolts which go in from the front into the frame part in front of tyhe radiator spreading the load force if you hit something or are pulling on it, same way with the rear

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe in the rear if you could use the factory hitch mounts to mount your custom bumper. Good luck.

There are companies making rear bumpers and they find places to mount them;)

You may want to really look at how other companies do theirs , ARB for example does not use the tow hook bolt holes only, they have 3 bolts per side into the front frame rail then also have two bolts which go in from the front into the frame part in front of tyhe radiator spreading the load force if you hit something or are pulling on it, same way with the rear

Exactly.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope there is no way to safely mount a steel rear bumber that is totally functional and provides outstanding protection at all:rolleyes:.
You must be registered for see images attach

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL (tjkj)....

As for the ARB I assisted with the installation of one and it does use additional mounting points to the frame to keep it from loosing structure strength.

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm thinking about designing and welding up some bumpers for my '03 KJ, but It is -15 out right now, and I'm not able to use my garage... I figure I can just draw the parts up now and have my brother do the assembly work in his shop. The only problem is that I have no clue about the mounting points used for the front and rear bumpers, and it's too darn cold and snowy (1.5 fee all around the jeep :D) to go out there and measure at the moment.

Does anyone have the measurements off hand for the mounting points on a front and rear bumper? If so, that would be awesome... and I'll make a CAD template for the bumper and make it available to everyone. While I'm at it, if anyone has the dimensions for the mounting holes on the various skid plates, I can also draw up some CAD templates for those.

Thanks,
-Cody

let me know when you got them fab'd up ill most likely make a purchase if possible. I've been looking for a cheaper bumper than ARB's $795 price. and some good recovery points.