I'm looin for new tires!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
We have M/T R Kevlar right now and they are an absolute excellent tire alround!
They just don't wear worth a shit!
In 14 months with regular tire rotating and keeping the KJ properly aligned, the tires are at 50% wear!
Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining!
Hell, I consume more than the price of five tires annually in alcohol so...

We are expected to have a really bad winter here this year and I am thinking of a set of four of these by the end of the month:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...Goodyear%2BWrangler%2BTerritory.jsp?locale=en
In either a 225-75-16 or 235-85-16
And have them studded.

I figure that the 235-85-16 would perform really well in snow conditions.
The 225's would probably be better in deeper softer snow.

Any thoughts folks?

Cheers
Ry'

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those tires look pretty good. I've looked, and those appear to be made specifically for Canadian Tire, which means I can't get 'em here. I wonder if they would throw a set on if I made a day-trip up there...lol.

I'm not sure about your winters, but that would get me through just about anything here (in OH).

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well with 7000 miles on my Toyo Open Country MT's and they still have 19/32" tread on them(21/32" new) I'm very pleased,they did extremely well last winter as I never had to lock in the hubs once to go anywhere I wanted with them.They do make them in 245/75R16 and 235/85R16 sizes,there are only 2 things that suck about them and 1 is the price and the 2nd is they are heavy for there size.

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-mt

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I liked the Toyo Open Country AT's I had on my Dodge Ram. Those MT's look pretty sweet, and VERY similar to the Territory's. I'm kind of torn....I want something more for DD, and don't want to go too aggressive. Plus, it was my understanding that most MT's suck on wet pavement, which is primarily what my Jeep would see. (I know, pavement pounder...say what you will...lol)

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I believe PTSB5A on here runs those (GY Authority). He lives in Cold Lake, so he'd know about snow for sure. :D

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Are you looking for winter tires, or full time replacements?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Are you looking for winter tires, or full time replacements?

Just winter tires HJ.
We don't want to get caught out in the cold "So to speak"!

My anatomy is feeling good enough to try cross country skiing again.
(It's been 6 years since the last time my body has co-operated!)
So the last thing I need are tires that are going to get us stuck in a snow covered parking lot cause the tires rubber is to hard and won't grip the snow and ice!

Jen and I want to go cross country skiing/snow shoeing this Christmas...

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ry....

The Goodyear Duratrac's are snow rated, they have that mountain & snowflake symbol on them, so far they've gripped the hell out of every other surface I've had them on, but the jury is still out on snow since we haven't had any since getting these tires.......

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Goodyear Duratrac's are snow rated, they have that mountain & snowflake symbol on them,

as most of you probably allready know, just because a tire has those symbols on them dosen't mean they will perform in snow. seen it on market place some time ago.
tire manufactures can put that symbol on any tire.
buyer beware.
not being sarcastic, just passing along some info.