Im curious

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many people reach 4k rpms on a regular basis in their libertys?

I hardly ever get over 3500rpms and thats when passing people on the hw. When Im accelerating, sometimes Ill reach 3k rpms IF its needed.. Other than that, I stay around 2500.. :)

2003KJ

Reaction score
Atleast once or twice a month i'll hammer it to the floor and run the doo doo out of it.....good for the soul :D

That and, I know that should I ever need to run it that hard....say to get out of a situation gone south real quick, that she'll still go there.

Then theres the one idiot who ****** me off royally....and if i'm not feeling gas conservative at the moment, i'll punch it to blow by them.

About 90% of the time, it's under 2500 for me as well.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Or the question is when don't I run below 3500 rpms! haha

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a manual ****** and I try to keep it below 3 grand as much as possible, which is easy to do. No need to wind it up unless I feel like it :)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info guys. I was wondering b/c the guys that drive at work hit at least 4k everytime they pull out and I was amazed. I could understand if you were needing to get outta the way or was in a hurry, but I just dont see the point of it. They act like they are in a hurry and floor it, then drive like a granny once they are up to speed.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only do occasionally when I either want to pass somebody, get on an on ramp in a hurry, or if I just wanna have a little fun. Otherwise I don't hit 4k that much. 3k maybe, but not 4k. Besides, I like to get good gas milage. :)

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of places I go where when I enter onto the freeway I almost always have to floor it while swinging into the passing lane to pass the sheeple that don't know how to merge into traffic.

These are the few times I approach or pass red-line and it's kinda fun as long as long as I have the opening I need to slingshot out like that.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was looking into the Libby, you guys on here were saying that gas milage isn't too bad if you keep it below 2500. I thought to myself "how on earth will I ever do that?!??"

I have a Grand Prix 3.8L that I've modded a bit. It's a fairly torquey engine, and she'll poop it and go when I want it to, it's darn quick for what it is. Thing is, even just doing some normal acceleration, I'd usually have it up to about 3500.

In the libby, I see myself rarely going past 2500. There's been a few times I've opened it up or put it up to 3500 or 4, but it's got enough torque to accelerate normally without running it up there.

I will say this, in my opinion it's best to open 'em up once in a while. My wife never does in her G6, so like last night when I was out alone in it, it got a decent workout. I feel it cleans out some carbon and whatnot. I've driven all my past cars like I've stolen them, and then seem to last quite a long time.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree Atrus, its not good to always drive around like a granny. It will let carbon and such build up on the valves.

I noticed the same thing in our hemi Grand. You would think that it wouldnt need to get up around 3500rpms when accelerating, but the rpms will fly right up under normal acceleration where my liberty will hang around 2500. Im sure that Im accelerating faster in the grand given the same rpms. I probably just do not notice. I know its ALOT easier to pass people on the hw in that thing. Getting up to speed to merge isnt a problem either. :D

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the sound it makes when it downshifts and RPM jumps to redline.
i Hate the delay!

Vrrr...hit the pedal..it makes engine noise as if it downshifed, but it doesn't. It revss....... VRRRRRRR.. wait.. BRRRRRRRR downshift.... go
wake me up when you downshift

Sometimes I decide not to, so it acts all confused.. VRRR vrr VRR Vr VRVRVrvr.. finally it applies engine brake

so yes, I redline everyday.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well to tell you the truth I was pushing the Liberty in the 3500 - 4000RPM range for a long time. Over the past few months I have decided to keep it at, or around, 2500RPM and see what changes in MPG I can obtain. I went from an average of 14.8-15.2 up to an average of 16-16.5MPG.

To me that is more than enough to justify driving at 4K, all the time. Also, having my Magnaflow on I can hit a nice gurrggle while driving under 2500RPM.

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
phil, yes we are still waiting for the better sounding video without car wash noise! :p

If i had aftermarket muffler, I would be revving the hell out of it.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Normally when accelerating getting on the highway where the speed limit is 65, I'll let it get to 3500 or so then settle to 2200 or so on the highway and flip on the cruise control. 70 is about 2200 rpm on mine. But every once in a while I'll let it go to 4 or 5k getting on the highway but not often. It's probably good for it every once in a while. Driving around town I never get near that high on the tach - usually way under 3k.

Dave