If your Auto Trans is downshifting from 1-2 hard, check this first...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Overlord475

Reaction score
After replacing my KJ's starter this past weekend the transmission had begun down shifting from 1st to 2nd hard, and on occasion the upshift as well. I was getting a P0700 & P0731 code from the 3-Key On/Off Odometer Display Test. Which is for a TCM error and 1st Gear Ratio Mis-Match.

I couldn't figure out what I could have possibly done to cause this seemingly unrelated issue to that of a start replacement.

However, during the replacement I did have to remove the forward drive shaft coming from the trans to the front transfer case to remove the starter. And in doing so somehow bumped loose the forward transmission speed sensor.

From what I understand the Liberty transmission doesn't run on bands and oil pressure, but rather a ratio'd signal sent from a speed sensor at the input side of the trans (crank) and the output side (driveshaft) which then selects the correct gear by engaging the appropriate solenoid from the transmission solenoid pack located in the transmission.

This ratio'd signal is sent to your TCM (Transmission Control Module) where there is a factory speed set point for each gear to crank speed ratio.

Regardless, if you trans is hard shifting check the two connection below (Items 1 & 3).
Of all the potential culprits of a hard shifting trans this is your cheapest potential guy, then check your fluid level ;)

You must be registered for see images attach