I was talking to my 02' tonight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While swapping the front bumper from my 02' onto my 04' I discovered a ambient temperature sensor, that I don't have on my 02'. I just wonder what that is for?

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While swapping the front bumper from my 02' onto my 04' I discovered a ambient temperature sensor, that I don't have on my 02'. I just wonder what that is for?

Probably a outside temp readout in a display someplace. Gauge cluster ? Maybe a button simple to cycle to it
In the XJ and commander it's a sensor near the middle of the front grill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sounds to me like you're going to be scouring eBay for an EVIC :waytogo:

Bob

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The EVIC sounds cool. I will look around, and see if I can find one.
Also, when looking at your pics, I noticed you have a power steering cooler.
My 02' has the power steering cooler, but my 04' does not. Unless they moved it somewhere else? But my 04' has an external transmission cooler... What's with that?
I'm not sure if having one or the other is better... But someone said they all have power steering coolers? I wonder if I can use the one from my 02'?
It looks like the power steering hoses go up under the left headlight, and connect to a round looking thing. Hard to see without removing the headlight to see it better.
I just wonder why it doesn't have the power steering cooler, or does it? You know, the rectangular mini radiator looking thing, in front of the condenser, on the drivers side?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The EVIC sounds cool. I will look around, and see if I can find one.
Also, when looking at your pics, I noticed you have a power steering cooler.
My 02' has the power steering cooler, but my 04' does not. Unless they moved it somewhere else? But my 04' has an external transmission cooler... What's with that?
I'm not sure if having one or the other is better... But someone said they all have power steering coolers? I wonder if I can use the one from my 02'?
It looks like the power steering hoses go up under the left headlight, and connect to a round looking thing. Hard to see without removing the headlight to see it better.
I just wonder why it doesn't have the power steering cooler, or does it? You know, the rectangular mini radiator looking thing, in front of the condenser, on the drivers side?

You might have the rare KJ that doesn't have a power steering cooler. Every one I've ever seen has one - it should be in a similar spot as on your '02 :shrug:

Your '02 has the 45RFE ****** which uses an in-radiator transmission cooler; very early '03's had the same thing but then Chrysler switched to the 42RLE ****** and went to the external ****** cooler.

You can actually buy the '02 radiator and do a mod on your '04 to use your external cooler in series with the in-radiator cooler. Very easy to do and requires less than $10 in fittings and hose from NAPA. I did the mod to mine and I believe it does a better job of preventing temp spikes and maintaining steady temperatures in the transmission. I have no data to back me up - just 95,000 miles worth of seat-of-the-pants driving :waytogo:

HD Cooling (and in-radiator cooling line mod)

Bob

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the HD fan shroud in my 04' but it just has an electric fan. I didn't know it's a two speed fan. I never noticed it running at different speeds. I would like to do both of those mods. Because overheating is why my 02 dropped a valve! So your saying you have both electric and mechanical fans installed? And as far as the transmission cooler mod. I just put a brand new radiator in my 02' shortly before it died. So I can swap it into my 04' and use both the external and radiator trans cooler. It what order are you running the lines? Does the trans fluid run through the radiator or external cooler first? Thanks!

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the HD fan shroud in my 04' but it just has an electric fan. I didn't know it's a two speed fan. I never noticed it running at different speeds. I would like to do both of those mods. Because overheating is why my 02 dropped a valve! So your saying you have both electric and mechanical fans installed? And as far as the transmission cooler mod. I just put a brand new radiator in my 02' shortly before it died. So I can swap it into my 04' and use both the external and radiator trans cooler. It what order are you running the lines? Does the trans fluid run through the radiator or external cooler first? Thanks!

In Bob's thread, his picture shows that it goes to the in-radiator transmission cooler then to the external one if I am not mistaken.

The easiest way to tell if your e-radiator fan is two speed versus 1 speed (technically variable speed since the jeep's brain varies the PWM) is to look at the number of wires by the connector of the e-radiator fan. 2 speed will have 3 wires and 1 speed will have 2 wires.
Since you already have the HD fan shroud, just move the clutch fan from your 02 to your 04. All the waterpump's pulley should have a threaded area in the front to install a clutch fan.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Bob's thread, his picture shows that it goes to the in-radiator transmission cooler then to the external one if I am not mistaken.

The easiest way to tell if your e-radiator fan is two speed versus 1 speed (technically variable speed since the jeep's brain varies the PWM) is to look at the number of wires by the connector of the e-radiator fan. 2 speed will have 3 wires and 1 speed will have 2 wires.
Since you already have the HD fan shroud, just move the clutch fan from your 02 to your 04. All the waterpump's pulley should have a threaded area in the front to install a clutch fan.

^^^That^^^

That's exactly how mine is run. There were a few '04's that came with the HD shroud but no mechanical fan - I always thought that was kinda goofy on Chrysler's part. JeepJeepster here on JeepKJ.com has the same thing, though he just added the mechanical fan to his also. Do a search for a thread Brian/uss2defiant posted about notching the bottom of the HD fan shroud. Makes it so you don't have to remove the mechanical fan just to remove the shroud. Will take all of 10 minutes with either a sharp utility knife or a Dremel.

Make sure your '02 radiator has the tabs on the front of it to hold the external trans cooler. If it doesn't it won't hold the cooler and you won't be able to swap it over to the '04. If you buy a new one for an '02 it WILL have the tabs and you can do the 2-cooler mod :waytogo:

Bob

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The radiator doesn't have any little tabs, as I remember. But it came with a few extra pieces, that I might of thrown away already.

Anyway, the Rad on the 04' seems fine. I think it has connections for the trans cooler, but not sure. I thought I seen two plastic plugs, that were left in there...

But the other radiator is only about 6 months old!

For now, I'm just stripping the 02' for "everything" I can take off by myself.
If I get some help, perhaps I can save the trans and transfer case!

I already swapped the front bumper fascia, and one inner wheel splash guard.
She sure looks funny with no grill, bumper or fender flairs!

Trying to keep it movable for now. (She still starts and runs...smells like raw gas out the tailpipe). Plan on I'm removing the engine parts last.

Latest posts

Members online