I want your opinions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My in-laws have a 06 Liberty. They are letting me borrow it for awhile until we get my wife's van back from the body shop(she decided to take out a small wall and it tore off a side of the front bumper :happy175:). My wife seems to like it. They have been trying to sell it for a few months no with no luck.

I want my daughter to drive a decent vehicle that is safer then a small car and I feel the Liberty is perfect for her. The thing is, she is only 13 right now. I know where this Liberty has been and I can get it pretty cheap from my In-Laws. It needs a paint job for sure(which I would do as its really bad), and it only has 93k on it. Other then that, they kept up with the servicing, the engine is great and there is nothing else really wrong with it.

Now, would you pull the trigger and buy it knowing it will be sitting there for close to 3 years before it would be driven by your kid? It will be a backup vehicle if my truck or wife's van needs to go in the shop again, but that's really the only time it would be driven within those 3 years.

What would you do?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
As long as you drive it once in a while it should be fine
of course there will be some lines you may have to replace from deterioration over time. But that would be if you drove it or not .
But you know the back story to it so......?

Is t black by any chance ??
Looking for another 02-04 black one LOL
Oh wait its an 06 never mind

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nope, blue. Yeah, I would drive it every so often to keep the gas from going bad and to charge the batteries.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
KJ's are a safe vehicle, especially for your daughter, once she has her DL.
Fairly low miles and known to be family maintained sounds great!
No salt/rust if it is an Arizona KJ total bonus! (unlike my muffler that is soon to fall off LOL)
It would give you time to drive it/ fix er up, even get your daughter involved in learning/maintenance?
Who knows maybe Shaggy might even start a maintenance/ build thread ha ha..:gr_grin:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with tommudd.

As far as keeping it in the shade as mentioned, there is no shade in Arizona as I'm sure you know. Build a carport.

Dave

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I will not paint it right away. It will be garage kept or at least covered. I might throw some add ons on to it over the next 3 years. I just wanted all of your opinions if it was a smart decision on paying it now rather then waiting till she is actually 16 and getting something else.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you can financially afford to take it, then I would. as others have said, drive it periodically. I try to make a point to drive everything at least once a week, and to get it up to full operating temperature for a while. A-periodic long hauls would be perfect.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Install a lift kit and wheel it every couple of weekends. In 3 years you'd just give your daughter your truck instead ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk