I removed the rear tire and bracket.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JamesK said:
(removed to avoid damage from rear
end collisions or possible theft of tire)

Damage to the TIRE RIM, brainiac! - try to stop and think when you interpret/reply to posts.

Also: wheel locks will not keep someone from slashing/vandalizing the tire.

It is also personal preference - i do not want my spare on the back of my jeep.

MY TURN!

I agree! Your spare is not safe!

But friend! You have left yourself wide open to attack!

Get those damn wheels off the other 4 horrible wheel mounting locations. Damn that DCX and their poor design; I mean, shoot the way they made the Liberty... anyone could just slash our tires and dent our wheels anytime they feel like it!

I'll tell you what though, I wont stand for that garbage, I have quick release lugs and a pile of cinderblocks in my trunk and everytime I park, those damn vandalism drawing, rolling demons, go in the cargo space!

But don't forget the rest of the jeep! What the hell was that damn company thinking when they left our precious paint exposed to potential vandals. I always tow a lock up trailer that I pull in and drive up into, to prevent dings and scratches.

I'm finally safe. Some people may think I'm extreme; but I'll never forget that mans words before it happened. They haunt me every night.

"HEY! Look at that guys wheel! Its wide open! GET IT!"

The next day my precious spare was in the hospital being treated for minor stab wounds to the chest.

Moral of the story. There isn't one, I'm just messin with ya!

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your crazy miah.

It would be awesome to tow a trailer behind you then put the jeep in the trailer when you park!! \:D/

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Your crazy miah.

It would be awesome to tow a trailer behind you then put the jeep in the trailer when you park!! \:D/

Yes, definitely. I wonder why I've never thought of that? hmm... :-k :-s

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget than when it comes off, there will be a small indent in the rear bumper for where the tire would go. I'm also getting ready to relocate my rear tire off the back to the roof, due to a newly developed rattling resulting from it. However, as far as some of the posts in this thread, everyone is more than willing on this website to offer their advice.

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bolt Issue:
Pop off the gates plastic covering inside. Removed the backing for the bolts.

Now you have holes with a few options. Welding or using lead. Or stuffing them with Bondo. A different way would also be to mark the point where the bolts protrude from the gate, cut the bolt to that length. Then bondo the spaces.

Sanding:
I would personally remove the gate so you have a stable platform. Or you can easily pop off the taillights and pop open the glass and cover your work area. I would not sand while the door is open that would equal uneven surafacing.

Paint:
Your best bet for the nicest finish would be to strip the gate completely then starting from scratch primer, a little more sanding (wet sanding) and then the paint coating (from the factory), and fleck finish with clear coat topping.

That is my suggestion. Just be sure you know that painting is the most crucial part of this operation. How you cover up the holes is your own choice, all will work fine. But the sanding and painting are very important to how the final piece works. I am sure given the size of the gate a body shop can seal the holes, and repaint the gate for around 600-700 for a good job. Shop around and see what you get for quotes, Ask some other people who have had general body work done and get their opinions on a place.

Grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think we you missed something. It's a lease. I think the dealer might miss the spare tire mount.

I like the clean look of the of USAFCOP's KJ with the rear bumper.

As far as the holes in the sheet metal after you remove the mount
I imagine you could find a bolt that you could insert into the holes
and thread from inside? or some kind of rubber plug?

DannyP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think you should fabricate a huge sheild for the back of the lib to protect it from getting rearended i think that would be cool as hell !!! why are you so worried about someone slashing your spare?? i can see why you would have alot of enemys though bro.. Anyways enough with the sarcasim i dont think you have many options being a lease as far as a rear impact goes if someone smashs into you the last thing i would be worried about is the spare im sure more will get damaged then just that and the tire might soften the blow i dunno if your more worried about someone slashing it then check out one of those hard plastic spare tire covers?!

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just change neighborhoods or your town. Nothing like that happens where I live. If someone hits you from the back while driving than they owe you a new wheel, anytime your hit from the back it's the other guys fault, it's the law.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
After you remove the nuts off the bolts, you can then remove the bolts themselves all you have left are nuts that are welded in behind the panel you can put either carriage bolts in them, rubber plugs whatever works and paint the same color as your KJ I take mine off every couple of months just to wax under the plates that hold the spare on. Looks good without it on there but if I put my spare on top I cant get in the garage :-({|=

onebigbagostupid

Reaction score
wow, this is an interesting thread

one of the reasons i like this forum is because there aren't petty arguments, thank goodness nobody has ruined that :^o

but in all seriousness i actually purchased something for that exact reason.

You must be registered for see images attach

it cost me three hundred thousand more times than i paid for my jeep but hey, i like it to much for some punk kids like me to trash it.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: wow, this is an interesting thread

onebigbagostupid said:
one of the reasons i like this forum is because there aren't petty arguments, thank goodness nobody has ruined that :^o

but in all seriousness i actually purchased something for that exact reason.

You must be registered for see images attach

it cost me three hundred thousand more times than i paid for my jeep but hey, i like it to much for some punk kids like me to trash it.

Beats the Trunk Monkey any day \:D/

gunflint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a lease and you go ripping into original design like that. I have a hunch the bill is going to cost over a grand from the dealer to put it back. Besides if you're worried about all that crime, I would think that you would want to keep that spare back there. The wheel would help stop the bullets.

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not a bad idea you only need a little shunt from rear end to hit the spare wheel and its gonna cost you dearly, it'll take out the rear door and probably the hinged side rear quarter ,the latter is expensive to repair .

Latest posts

Staff online