I know nothing about the Daystar lift.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AMPlibby06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking into a "body?" lift for my KJ. I literally know nothing about suspension. I've heard that it is possible to pay for a cheaper "spacer" lift rather than new shocks? but that this is not as smart as older shocks don't hold up as well? or something like that. So it seems like a daystar 2.5 lift is the cheaper alternative. I'm a broke college student, so I'm looking for a little height, at little cost. If I had this done, I'd either start looking on KJ forums for someone I could drive to meet, to do it for me, or I'd have it done at a shop. I googled the lift and found this for $155, is it really complete? I'd need to buy nothing else?

2.5" Front & Rear Complete kit (poly parts, sway bar bushings, upper strut plates & boots) KJ09115 $155
http://www.boulderbars.com/kjproducts.htm

I've heard that its smart to buy new ranchos. Does that refer to struts or springs or both? At this point, I don't think I'd get them, but I might upgrade later when I have the money.

Sorry if my ignorance to suspension is annoying, or if I'm repeating this thread for the 2304973247th time.

Thanks!

alex

Dave08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no such thing as a body lift. The Daystar is the best of the cheap assuming your springs aren't shot. Get Rancho 17505 struts ( I believe ) and 17004 shocks + daystar kit.

SDLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking into a "body?" lift for my KJ. I literally know nothing about suspension. I've heard that it is possible to pay for a cheaper "spacer" lift rather than new shocks? but that this is not as smart as older shocks don't hold up as well? or something like that. So it seems like a daystar 2.5 lift is the cheaper alternative. I'm a broke college student, so I'm looking for a little height, at little cost. If I had this done, I'd either start looking on KJ forums for someone I could drive to meet, to do it for me, or I'd have it done at a shop. I googled the lift and found this for $155, is it really complete? I'd need to buy nothing else?

2.5" Front & Rear Complete kit (poly parts, sway bar bushings, upper strut plates & boots) KJ09115 $155
http://www.boulderbars.com/kjproducts.htm

I've heard that its smart to buy new ranchos. Does that refer to struts or springs or both? At this point, I don't think I'd get them, but I might upgrade later when I have the money.

Sorry if my ignorance to suspension is annoying, or if I'm repeating this thread for the 2304973247th time.

Thanks!

alex

Yes that is correct. Rancho 17505 and 17004s Longer bump stops for the front (teraflex) and cut a rubber mallet in 1/2 to drop in to rear lift discs. Hockey pucks will also work. Do a search on Daystar lift kit, There is a well of information on this kit

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Daystar kit on my KJ. I don't wheel mine. I am only a 2WD. I love the Daystar kit. I installed it myself in about 4 hours on the driveway. Easy to do if you follow the how-to. I don't remember if it was the how-to here, or the one on lostkjs. I have an 07 model and I did the Daystar lift with a 3/8 clevis lift to level it out and get rid of the factory raked look. I pounded the pinch welds and trimmed the front fender liners. I also trimmed the bottom of the front bumper. All are very easy mods to do. I put Crager Black D's 15x7's with 4" BS on and I just put 31x10.50 tires. I love it. They look really good and make it ride a lot better than stock. I kept the stock shocks front and back when i did it. I will upgrade to Rancho's next. Should have done it to begin with. Here is a pic of mine after the 31's were put on.

You must be registered for see images attach

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, If you buy the KJ09115 instead of the KJ09116 Kit, you get the extended front bumpstops already included from Daystar.

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine installed on my 4x4 3.7l gaser with no additional bump stops front or rear and have had zero problems and i offroad often. I did replace the rear shocks with Durango shocks for added flex. $30 some bucks from napa.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine installed on my 4x4 3.7l gaser with no additional bump stops front or rear and have had zero problems and i offroad often. I did replace the rear shocks with Durango shocks for added flex. $30 some bucks from napa.

whats the part number on the durango shocks you got

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats this i read about daystars not fitting on a 02 gas because of something with with the control arms, what can you guys tel me about this or how to fix this

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a spacer lift will end up costing you close to the same as an OME/Rancho spring lift
Just as well do it right
Here is the reason
spacer kit cost say $175
OEM shocks and struts are good for 35-40K at best so the cost of those is negated if you have close to this milage as you will need them and both coil lifts and spacer lift use the same strut/shock's
The install cost is the same if you do it or if you pay to have it done
when you do a lift you need an alignment and really when ever you start separating ball joints it is good practice and cost only about $100 to have it done which is less than a set of tires
a set of 4 OME coils can be bought for about $250 that is about $75 more than the spacer lift if you do not do the struts at the same time then you basically wasted money on a spacer kit when you figure
spacer kit ,install ,alignment
new struts/shocks ,install, alignment
hope that your springs hold up ,OEM springs sag or at least mine did
or
new coils and struts/shocks ,install ,alignment DONE for 50K+ miles
saves time ,money and head aches

new springs

lilmidget08

Reaction score
J-thompson why do you say that the stock struts and springs are only good for 30 to40 thousand miles?? i have 96000 on mine as of now and not one problem. the struts arent leaking nothing?? im confused and im not new to the "car" world been workin in a dealership for about 9 years now. i see vehicles come in with over 150000 on stock struts no problem. Please elaborate.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just because they are not leaking doesn't mean that they are still good. They tend to not dampen as good over time. You don't notice it that much either since it is a gradual change. But if you put new ones on, you will feel a world of difference and will wonder why you waited so long.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Any one that knows anything about suspensions will tell you the stock springs/ shocks are pretty much trash at 30 to 40,000 miles. You get used to that mushy ride as they go and you never notice until you upgrade

lilmidget08

Reaction score
well actually i think the thing rides pretty nice. its kinda firm. every time my brother comes in the car from driving his ford escape he tells me that this thing rides stiff as hell.
i dunno what to do. as far as i know almost 90 percent of the 96000 miles were straight highway driven. (previous owner was a salesman) so i think its still driving pretty nice. ill throw the daystar lift in and go from there. im a tech so its not like i dont know what im doing. and suspension work is cake. thanks for the response guys and this forum is great im glad I joined. ill post before and after pictures when i do it.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got daystar lift kit and its really really ******* my struts and will have to replace soon

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It rides hard due to the springs and shocks being worn out...duh! Also installing a Daystar on a KJ with 96,000 will just increase the harshness in the ride, will make it wear even faster, and ....well never mind you already have your mind made up ! Too bad you are not here close I would be glad to give you a ride in mine so you could feel what a well setup suspension feels like!

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok look at my posts, i was the same guy. "my struts and springs are great with 120k" so i went out and boutght the daystar lift kit. Installing wasnt to hard. If i got a penny for every clunk, squeak, and groan from my front end i would have jeepin by als largest kit. Honestly my future plans are to do all new suspension pars and do a real spring lift in the from. i dont have any problem with daystars on the back but the front is terrible. I love the height but it really wasnt worth it. I learned the hard way. spacers are ok in the back but with the front you will want to do it all right. I know your suspension feel great and firm and all and i thought so to. But then put the lift on and it will put a lot of stress on the parts up front and it will change your angles, all of a sudden you will find your struts dieing really fast when they were good just yesterday and the springs will sag from the lift as well so in a year your kj is sitting back at the same ride hight as stock. I fully support finding a budget kit but daystars all around is not the best option to go with at all. Its really funny because a couple months ago i was asking around your same questions and i didnt believe it was as bad as people say, now that i have it i see the other side and wish i did it right to begin with. ok thats enough of a novel

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
When will people learn that there is no "mechanic in a can solution" for leaks, noises, and oil comsumption. That being said, there is no " miracle spacer " lift either. The Daystar will get you lifted, but will cause you more troubles down the road, just bite the bullet and buy proper springs to lift the vehicle.

Spacers under springs mean that the springs will be under a constant compression state, and the fact that the springs will be OEM stockers makes the situation even worse. So, since you need to take the strut assembly apart anyways..why not put new springs and shocks in ??????

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
When will people learn that there is no "mechanic in a can solution" for leaks, noises, and oil consumption. That being said, there is no " miracle spacer " lift either. The Daystar will get you lifted, but will cause you more troubles down the road, just bite the bullet and buy proper springs to lift the vehicle.

Spacers under springs mean that the springs will be under a constant compression state, and the fact that the springs will be OEM stockers makes the situation even worse. So, since you need to take the strut assembly apart anyways..why not put new springs and shocks in ??????

I think that this quote from one of the guys on L.O.S.T. sums it up perfectly!

"It’s called save your money and do right the first time. There are too many people today that are impatient. If you can’t afford doing it right, then you probably can’t afford doing it wrong."

I'm glad I read all the advice here, absorbed it, and just waited until I could buy the best thing going!

I figure I'll pull the inner CV joints as well while I have things apart and machine 3/8's on an inch off on our lathe. What could it hurt?
I going to turn some spacers for the clevis while I'm at it.
I know, It is not a required part for a clevis lift to function, but seeing I have a lathe and material and all the time in the world, WTF!
And depending on how much work and time the inner CV joints are, maybe I'll offer this service to fellow members here for a nominal fee.