I know nothing about the Daystar lift.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tried by many KJ owners on this board and LOST and found to be the BEST..

Front = OME# 927 HD with Rancho #17505

Rear = OME#948 HD with Rancho#17004

Dave

rphamil

Reaction score
i was thinking of putting the ome rancho combo on the front and the daystar with ranchos on the rear is this a good combo and if so, is the only thing i would need to get is the 2 bump stops or just use hockey pucks

rphamil

Reaction score
does it really matter, i was trying to go the cheapest way, its mostly for looks because its my wifes ride and its hard to get her to let me take it off road

lilmidget08

Reaction score
well i dont have a lot of money. i know that a spring lift is the way to go but buyin new struts and springs it just outta my league. my brother had the spacer lift in his tacoma a few years back and it wasnt bad. ehh i dunno ill figure somehting out. thanks for all the input guys. you all know a ton more then i do about these jeeps. but if you got any honda questions let me know, im a honda tech. thanks again

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does it really matter, i was trying to go the cheapest way, its mostly for looks because its my wifes ride and its hard to get her to let me take it off road

im sorry but this is kinda a dick thing to say. The daystar kit can put certain front suspension parts at risk. I know it can put extreme stress on the upper ball joint and others. this can be a safety hazard, do you honestly want to risk your wifes safety just so a liberty can be a little taller. Not going to lie i used to not wear a seat belt but ever since i got that crappy lift kit i have my seatbelt on all the time. I dont trust it

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
im sorry but this is kinda a dick thing to say. The daystar kit can put certain front suspension parts at risk. I know it can put extreme stress on the upper ball joint and others. this can be a safety hazard, do you honestly want to risk your wifes safety just so a liberty can be a little taller. Not going to lie i used to not wear a seat belt but ever since i got that crappy lift kit i have my seatbelt on all the time. I dont trust it

Good point!
But I don't want to sound like a dink...
But regardless of any lift kit, you should be wearing your seatbelt as soon as you get into your vehicle!
You see, I do want (OK, it should of read "I don't want...:rolleyes:_ to see you or anyone else get hurt due to somebody not wearing their seatbelt!
Not to mention, people already pay enough for for insuance and dont need to pay more because peopledon't waer their seatbelts!

Last edited:

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya ive gotten back in the habit, In my other car the talon its all about safety with a roll cage and 4 point harness that is always used

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. I have heard enough. Time to ruffle some feathers. My comments regarding the Daystar kit are for the gasser 2.5" kit. The 2" Daystar CRD kit has issues. Ask Tony for the details on that one.

1. Yes, the OME Springs and Rancho or OME shocks is probably the "best" lift for the KJ. I think we can all agree on this. And to "do it right the first time" it is going to cost you around $650 for springs, shocks, and bumpstops.
2. The Daystar spacer kit is probably the "best" spacer lift available. Yes, the kit only costs $155. But... that does not include new shocks, and you are relying on your stock springs to hold up.
3. No, you don't have to replace the shocks when you do a Daystar lift. But do you really want to tear the front suspension down again just to replace the shocks later? I did not replace my front shocks when I installed my Daystar kit. I had about 20k miles on my KJ when I installed the kit. It rides fine with the stock shocks still. But I AM going to replace them with Ranchos. I got a good deal on a set from another member on LOST, and I am sure it will ride better with the Ranchos since I now have almost 35k miles on the stock shocks.
4. Do you have to replace the rear shocks when you lift? Nope. You don't have to. I haven't yet. Been running it with stock rear shocks for 15k miles and not a single problem yet. But... (there is always a Butt) I don't have the droop in the rear that I would/will have when I upgrade to Ranchos. But that is not a real problem for me since I don't really wheel my KJ. If I did, I would have gotten the longer shocks when I lifted.
5. The Daystar kit (for gassers) is not going to put more stress or strain on the front suspension than ANY other lift out there including OME or Frankie. When you lift a vehicle with ANY kit, you change the angles and geometry of every component in the suspension to something different from the original design specs. Doesn't matter how you lift it, it is still going to wear different than it would at stock height. But the Daystar kit works fine as long as you extend your bumpstops.
6. The Daystar kit DOES NOT over-compress or put any additional pre-load on the stock springs. Yes, it adds a 2.5" spacer. If that was all it added to the shock/spring assembly up front, then yes it would have way too much pre-load and would destroy your springs in no time. But it also comes with a new top plate. This new top plate allows the spacer to be added and then re-assembeld with the same amount of pre-load as stock.
7. Would I buy the Daystar kit again, or would I go with OME? I would absolutely go with the Daystar kit. I would have changed the front shocks to begin with, but other than that, I wouldn't change a thing. But I have a 2WD and I don't wheel it aside from cutting thru the ditch to get around traffic on a regular basis. Every person has to decide what works best for them. If I took my Jeep offroad on a regular basis, or planned to add an Arb front bumper and/or a winch, I would have chosen OME HDs to begin with. Use common sense. Don't get in a hurry and just buy the Daystar because you can afford it today. For me, it is all I need. For others, really think about how you use your Jeep. If the Daystar will work for you too, Great! Go for it Like I did. But if you need more than that, save and go for OME.

So now let the flames begin. I have thick skin.

Oh, and just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the stock ride height measurements are from center of wheel to bottom of fender? For a brand-new, non-saggy KJ that is. It would be nice to let everyone know how to tell how much their springs have sagged.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Amen Brother LTT! And no flaming needed (or wanted!). Your post says it all and you have hands on experience with this kit. Thanks!

I don't know, I just use my hand. When I was stock I could fit 4 fingers between the tire and the fender flare. Now after my lift my whole fist fits in there with room to spare for another half fist. ...hmm this is a weird post. Must be my sick mind. :D :p

www.boulderbars.com

I just knew it....Ryan you are evil....(J/K) :D :D :D

And....
You must be registered for see images attach
Yep, that.

AND WHO is talking about *******???:D:D:D

Last edited:

lilmidget08

Reaction score
well since you asked about saggy springs i have a 03 freedom edition with the stock 17inch wheels. ok i just replaced the stock 235/65/17 tires with kumho road venture A/T kl78 tires in a 245/65/17 size. i love the look if the little bit taller tire and the more agressive tread. ok now i can stick 4 fingers between the top of the tire and the finder flare.. ok now everyone has different size hands for argument sake my 4 fingers measures about 3 1/4 inches so at 97000 miles on STOCK FACTORY suspension i still have 3 1/4 inches of clearance in the front and rear with the tires (and the new tires measured only a half inch taller) so i dont think my front end is sagging at all. and the rear has a gap of maybe a quarter inch more. l love how it rides and just want a little more lift.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Don't want to make a new thread, but hows mine look???

First 2 front, last rear....

lilmidget08

Reaction score
take a side shot of the whole vehicle and look at the gap between the front wheels and the finder and look at the rear wheels to the finder, thats just a pic of your springs its hard to tell if its sagging from there. look at the link with the red one that i posted a few posts back. they have before and after lift pictures.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
take a side shot of the whole vehicle and look at the gap between the front wheels and the finder and look at the rear wheels to the finder, thats just a pic of your springs its hard to tell if its sagging from there. look at the link with the red one that i posted a few posts back. they have before and after lift pictures.

I'm sure there not as bad as the red one, which is liberty84's, and I cannot fit a finger thru the front coils......

I wish we had new specs somewhere....to compare....

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I just started a new post that shows how to measure the fender height.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39094

Hopefully we can gather enough data from it to be able to tell what the stock height was. Anyone have a local Jeep dealer that still has any 07 KJ's sitting around as leftovers?

No, but we have some 07 Magnums left over...I have some time next week, and maybe I can find a low milage 07.....