I got check engine light.. darn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
After another one of the heaviest rains this year, i drove through some deep puddles, I don't know if that's the cause but DARN IT man, at 28k miles I get a check engine light? What's the deal... those were all highway puddles nothing knee deep.. it is impossible.

Without going to the dealer, how can I take a look at it, or at lest guess it?

Oh man this brough me even down'er ... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) confused2.gif confused.gif drunk.gif

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I knew there had to be a topic about this, but as soon as I saw the light, I went wild. I didn't even think about searching it. I hope it is just the gas cap or something, I will try it tomorrow morning. :-&

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mutt said:
I'm interested to see what code you pull up. This is what I got:

456 A small leak has been detected in the evaporative system!

Thats a common one. Fairly easy to fix depending on where the leak is. Usually there is a tube around the gas tank thats been tore or something. O:)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
If that doesnt work, take it to any Autozone and they'll read it for free.

I went to strauss, dude said $105 to run diagnostics.

I called the dealer, the soonest appointment they can give me is Sept. 28th at 9:15 am.. :-# I am holding myself not to curse. She said it is probably nothing too serious, and the system is very sensitive.. I was going to say if it does something that voids my warranty, I hope you will be that calm then.

The accessory on/off method did not work for me at all, I kept waiting for it to come on with a code but didn't. Could I have done it too fast? Or how long do I have to wait at each step..

Method two, which returns the s/w version worked and I saw the gauge check and all lights come on and go off, and finish with something like 4.2 or 4.8, and no error code.

:-&

Mutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Mutt said:
I'm interested to see what code you pull up. This is what I got:

456 A small leak has been detected in the evaporative system!

Thats a common one. Fairly easy to fix depending on where the leak is. Usually there is a tube around the gas tank thats been tore or something. O:)

I can't imagine how that could have happened. I'll have to talk to my wife.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
2003KJ said:
If that doesnt work, take it to any Autozone and they'll read it for free.

I went to strauss, dude said $105 to run diagnostics.

I called the dealer, the soonest appointment they can give me is Sept. 28th at 9:15 am.. :-# I am holding myself not to curse. She said it is probably nothing too serious, and the system is very sensitive.. I was going to say if it does something that voids my warranty, I hope you will be that calm then.

The accessory on/off method did not work for me at all, I kept waiting for it to come on with a code but didn't. Could I have done it too fast? Or how long do I have to wait at each step..

Method two, which returns the s/w version worked and I saw the gauge check and all lights come on and go off, and finish with something like 4.2 or 4.8, and no error code.

:-&

Did you try and autozone or advance auto parts? They all do it for free. I did the ON-off-on-off-on(I think thats how it goes) and it worked just fine for my 04? Idk why it didnt work for you.

Mutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it's not accesory for one thing, it's the run position. It took me awhile to get it to work also. Keep trying, it'll come up.

Accesory is back from the lock position, where run is the spot before you turn the starter, or where the key returns once it is started.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought accessory was strange since it didn't turn on much else than the radio.. I will go back downstairs 7 floors and try again with the ON position.

I asked the dealer lady, how can I check or determine what's the problem "you gotta go through the manual honey", i said thanks and see you on sept 28th......

Thank You.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just tried with ON position as well.. Didn't work.

My version is 4.3 Jeepjeepster, maybe yours were updated in one of your service calls..

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
light is gone....
go figure..
8-[
I will be keeping my appointment for the recall, hoping that I will get my letter by then, or print and go there.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
light is gone....
go figure..
8-[
I will be keeping my appointment for the recall, hoping that I will get my letter by then, or print and go there.
That doesn't mean that the code is gone! Still check for it.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
But if there is no engine light, should I still be getting a code (assuming everything runs smoothly) I will work with my kj to see if I can get the code. Remember last week or the week before that I had my brake light not working, and suddenly it came back after fiddling with lens.. this seems like fiddling with stuff fixes them on a KJ.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
But if there is no engine light, should I still be getting a code (assuming everything runs smoothly) I will work with my kj to see if I can get the code. Remember last week or the week before that I had my brake light not working, and suddenly it came back after fiddling with lens.. this seems like fiddling with stuff fixes them on a KJ.
Yes. the code is kept in the computer for a long while after the light goes off.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta go swiching on and off like a maniac in the morning... I hope I don't get the code "ENOUGH" on the odometer.. #-o

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It didn't give me the error code!.

Anyway, when i was getting recall done I told them to check it up. I picked up the jeep from the dealer, and on the work sheet,

Code:
CAUSE: VERIFY ENG LIGHT ON SCAN SYSTEM FOUND CODE PO455 FUEL PUMP MODULE
14605006 SEAL, FUEL PUMP MODULE - REPLACE ALL
52100410AA SEAL-FUEL PUMP AND LEVEL