I got check engine light.. darn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes.
But i wonder what was the cause, is it wear and tear.. suddenly fuel pump seal goes bad?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Usually fuel pumps last 100K+. Maybe it was just one of those things.... OR a erroneous code. It happens. Darn computers.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Weird, it finds me.. I am going back tomorrow night with pulling to the right issue.. I don't know if this "i got problems" is a sickness or some sort of addiction... =;

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can take the exit on a highway.
I can see the steering turn to right after I move it back to straight.
It wasn't this bad before. Maybe following LBJ & swaybar bushing job, something is bent or not adjusted properly. It wasn't this bad.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does that too hyedipin. Ive had my jeep aligned by someone i know very well and watched them do it. If im going straight, my steering wheel is turned to the left alittle to keep the jeep going striaght.. It cant hurt to get an alignment though..

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, at least let them try it. Especially after driving a WJ, which went straight even at curved road. It might be better this way, with pulling and all because it requires your attention at all times and you cannot let the wheel go.. but just feels weird, tilted steering wheel, jeep going straight. :) Only in a jeep.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am back, and it was aligned. They said it is not covered under warranty, I told them you made the pulling worse after the Lbj & brake job, so it should be related to that. They said OK and took a look at it.
When I was back there to pick it up she said it was aligned & rotated the tires. No rotation was done, as far as I can see (i know my tires) but probably alignment was done, and now there is no more pulling to the right. I drove through the same street where it would always pull towards to curb, and no more. I drove back to see if it was pulling to the left therefore evening it out, no pull the the left either.

Pressure is now at 32 cold 35 hot, I will be pumping them to 40 this weekend to see if there is any difference. It handles sloppy when it is low.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check Engine Light is back on...
Code worked....
This time it is CODE P0441
What the heck is "Evaporative purge flow system not working properly" ??
Something to do with gas? Maybe I got bad gas? Is it the beans... is it the beannnss!???

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check Engine Light is back on...
Code worked....
This time it is CODE P0441
What the heck is "Evaporative purge flow system not working properly" ??
Something to do with gas? Maybe I got bad gas? Is it the beans... is it the beannnss!???

Since 1971, fuel tanks on cars have been designed as a closed system in which vapors that evaporate from the gasoline in the tank are not released into the atmosphere The system is sealed and under pressure so that excess vapors are shunted to a container filled with charcoal known as the evaporative canister.

The evaporative system purge test is used to determine whether fuel vapor stored in the evaporative canister and present in the fuel tank is being properly drawn into the engine for combustion. If the purge system is not working properly, the evaporative canister can become saturated and start to vent hydrocarbons into the atmosphere. In addition to causing HC emissions, failure of the purge system wastes gasoline.

The purge test id conducted while the vehicle is undergoing the IM240 on the dynamometer. Purge flow is measured by simply inserting a flow meter at one end of the hose that runs between the evaporative canister and the engine.

Determination of an acceptable purge rate is based on the total volume of gas that flows through the system during the IM240, not by instantaneous flow rates. The vehicle must have a minimum of 1 liter of volume in order to pass. Most cars in proper working order will accumulate as much as 25 liters during the IM240 cycle. As soon as a vehicle exceeds 1 liter of volume, the purge test is complete. The entire IM240 driving cycle ends as soon as final results are determined for the emission test.

The purge test requires a flow meter that can measure the total volume of flow over the transient cycle. Additionally, hoses and universal fittings are required to hook up the flow meter as indicated below. Finally, a computer is needed to control the test process, collect and record the data, and determine the pass/fail status.

Not sure if that helps or not. Is this part of emission tests? I know we don't require them here in Michigan.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far I didn't get any emissions test done. They do it after 3 or 4 years I think. Best bet will be head over to the dealer and have them check or refix it.. It hasn't been a year since the last code that referred to similar issue.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Yes it is part of the emissions test.....speaking of which, mine gets inspected today...emissions and safety inspection :)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't you see the news? Due to global warming we had to add one more day.
Marlon.. yes it is due then, if you ever see your jeep from those crooks who sent you the letter. :D

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noverember?

just kiddin ya.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update, 42000 miles, the light is back. I did the switch-on-off-like-a-maniac to check it, yes, it is P0441 again. No visual sign of damage, unless some piping or hoses are cracked.. Damn!

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is due for emissions and safety inspection this year... Neverember 32, 2007. :)

Is that from YOUR STATE for an inspection??? That's enough to make you want to move across the border!!

Dave

Members online

No members online now.