I got a new rad, please help with pic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok guys, so i got a new rad but I think its different i cant see those 2 conections on the rad i got on the jeep right now, i havent taken it out yet so....are those things in mine too, or did they give the wrong rad??

BTW i have an external ****** cooler.

????????
You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those 2 ports are for the KJ's with a 45RFE trans,don't worry about then,just plug them and install.

tjkj my kj is equipped with the 42rle,

so those things are nothing to worry about? i should have those plugs too ?

what concerns me is that coolant is gonna come out of there.

ooooooo ( i had to read ur post again sorry :D), so where do i get the plugs????#-o

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tjkj my kj is equipped with the 42rle,

so those things are nothing to worry about? i should have those plugs too ?

what concerns me is that coolant is gonna come out of there.

ooooooo ( i had to read ur post again sorry :D), so where do i get the plugs????#-o
Those ports are the trans cooler for the 45RFE,they will not leak unless the radiator gets damaged(cracked) in that area.Just find some rubber caps and plug them.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is the in-radiator trans cooler (45RFE models used that cooler). Jeep cheeped out when they switched to the 42RLE and decided to use an undersized external cooler. If you want to you can get a couple of fittings and use the in-radiator cooler and the external cooler together. Why? The external cooler alone ***** at controlling temp spikes (like when towing or wheeling), with both coolers together you will extend the life of the transmission by allowing it to operate at a cooler temp.

But that radiator will fit w/o any problems.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those ports are the trans cooler for the 45RFE,they will not leak unless the radiator gets damaged(cracked) in that area.Just find some rubber caps and plug them.

o ok is not like they have to be thight or anything right? cuz coolant is not gonna go thru there with the 42rle as it has its own radiator.....right??

thankx tjkj i just dont know about some things and i get too worried:(

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
o ok is not like they have to be thight or anything right? cuz coolant is not gonna go thru there with the 42rle as it has its own radiator.....right??

thankx tjkj i just dont know about some things and i get too worried:(
Yeah there will be no liquid leaking from those ports unless you hook your trans cooler lines to them.Anything can be used to plug those ports,just keeps the junk out of that cooler and corroding it and causing a leak.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah there will be no liquid leaking from those ports unless you hook your trans cooler lines to them.Anything can be used to plug those ports,just keeps the junk out of that cooler and corroding it and causing a leak.

got it!!!
thankx u sooo much man, ill get o it tomorrow morning:D

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got it!!!
thankx u sooo much man, ill get o it tomorrow morning:D
Helpfull hint.....................

Remove the battery tray,makes it alot easier to get the radiator in/out.Also a good time to change the t-stat(engine side of the lower radiator hose) and install new upper/lower radiator hoses while you have it all apart anyways.Remember HOAT coolant only(Zerex G05).

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is the in-radiator trans cooler (45RFE models used that cooler). Jeep cheeped out when they switched to the 42RLE and decided to use an undersized external cooler. If you want to you can get a couple of fittings and use the in-radiator cooler and the external cooler together. Why? The external cooler alone ***** at controlling temp spikes (like when towing or wheeling), with both coolers together you will extend the life of the transmission by allowing it to operate at a cooler temp.

But that radiator will fit w/o any problems.

In case I wanted to use both radiators, do you have an idea of how to do it, or has it been done before?, I guess I'll have to split to the lines that come from the ****** to th cooler and redirect them to those ports

Wouldn't that need more coolant? And if so, I'm gonna look into the fittings maybe I'll do it on a weekend

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Helpfull hint.....................

Remove the battery tray,makes it alot easier to get the radiator in/out.Also a good time to change the t-stat(engine side of the lower radiator hose) and install new upper/lower radiator hoses while you have it all apart anyways.Remember HOAT coolant only(Zerex G05).

Thank you tjkj, I replace the t-stat and the water pump less than 6K miles ago, o and yea I'm gonna go get the coolant from autozone,

I don't want to blame the coolant but......when my water pump seal went bad and it started to leak I kept redilling it with none HOAT coolant, maybe that helped to crack my radiatoe, idk but I won't make that mistake again, HOAT only from now on.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In case I wanted to use both radiators, do you have an idea of how to do it, or has it been done before?, I guess I'll have to split to the lines that come from the ****** to th cooler and redirect them to those ports

Wouldn't that need more coolant? And if so, I'm gonna look into the fittings maybe I'll do it on a weekend
To do that you will need to tie into the existing cooler line(just one is all) that comes from the trans to the cooler(hotter of the 2) and cut it,route the one side(the one from the trans) that you cut to the radiator internal cooler(top port) then route another line from the bottom port back to the other side of the OEM trans cooler line you cut(the one going to the AUX cooler).No more coolant will be needed but about 1/2qt more ATF+4 will be needed.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To do that you will need to tie into the existing cooler line(just one is all) that comes from the trans to the cooler(hotter of the 2) and cut it,route the one side(the one from the trans) that you cut to the radiator internal cooler(top port) then route another line from the bottom port back to the other side of the OEM trans cooler line you cut(the one going to the AUX cooler).No more coolant will be needed but about 1/2qt more ATF+4 will be needed.

ok, doesnt sound very complicated, i look around for those fitting for a weekend project , cuz as of right now, i NEED to get it running.

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 hours worth of labor and I'm done, I took lots of pics , I'll make a how to in a couple hours thankx to everyonw that help me

kskj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I hooked into the aux cooler in the radiator on mine the fittings I found that worked were for a chevy fuel injection with a rubber o ring.