I finally did it :)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I finally pulled the trigger. Both orders have been submitted today, and as long as the shocks are available, I will hopefully be receiving the parts to do my lift! YEAH!

I decided to go the DIY route. I ordered 926/948 OME springs, and Rancho RSX shocks, as well as Terra Flex bump stops. I still need to figure out some bump stops for the rear....what is this hockey puck/rubber mallet thing everyone is doing?

So with any luck they'll be here by this weekend, and if so, I know what I'll be doing. :)

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
grats mine is on the way too..
i also would like to see examples ( not installed) of both the puck and mallet stops..

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, just as Budke has listed there, the hockey pucks are a piece of cake. This was one of my bigger concerns installing the lift and ending up being the easiest part :).

Well except maybe the angle drilling...just took a little elbow grease.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Should have thought to point out the rear hockey pucks in my set up to you yesterday... totally slipped my mind. :rolleyes:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh - I'll e-mail you pictures from yesterday when I get home tonight.

dogem

Reaction score
Dropped my daughter's off at the shop this morning for them to install the new KYB/OME lift. Seemed kind of weird that I had to explain the hockey pucks and Tereflex bumpstops to them but like the guy said, whatever works.

We were going to do the lift in my garage but have not been able to coordinate schedules with my helpers and didn't see any open dates in the near future. Plus I was a little skeptical about doing a suspension myself, something that my daughter would be driving. I took it to the same place that did the lift on my F150 and all they do is suspensions and front end alignment. It cost me some money but I can rest assured that it was done right - $300 to install the lift, alignment and replace the u-joints.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
honestly, $300 doesn't sound too bad, since it also included an alignment and u-joint replacement. i can't wait to do mine, but like you, i don't know when i'll have time. weekends are the only days open for me, and even then half of them are already booked this summer!

thanks for the hockey puck how to!

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang I need to start charging to do lifts

Well, all I know is it took about 7-8 hours to do the body lift on my old Ranger...that was a fun day.

So you figure the average shop charges something like $80/hr, plus extra for alignment and u-joints......

I didn't say I would pay it...lol, but for someone who needs to, it's good to see they aren't getting *****.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woo-Hoo! Got shipping confirmations today. Looks like it will all be here by Friday! We'll see, I would like to try to do this but we have plans for Saturday, and I hate starting something on Sunday knowing it needs to be fixed by Monday. I may have to wait till I get a 3 day weekend.

BTW, on average, how long do you think it would take to do this? I've replaced coil springs before, and I have a decent set of tools, plus a garage, jack, stands, etc...just trying to get a ball-park idea of how long I'll need to plan for it.

Thanks!

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome OSUfans! (go blue)

You will be pleased.

no! not until after mine! ( directed more to scott than you !! lol)

You seem to be unaware of ThunderbirdJunkie's entertainment fee when he watches Scott work.

It is one 12 pack of Michelob Amber Bock, one pack of Camel Wide Lights, and one NES game that is not already in ThunderbirdJunkie's collection.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lifted!!! Started Friday evening, finished Saturday. Only small problem is I need to drill one more hole on the driver's side for my rear bumpstops. Apparently I wore out my drill bits on the first hole, and then of course I broke one on the next hole, so I'll revisit that down the road. No off-roading in my near future anyways, as I don't have skids or tow-hooks.

Sorry for the bad pic, just snapped one off with the phone real quick. Need to wash it and get an alignment before I put any high-res photos up here...lol

I may have to look into doing a clevis lift or boiler's plates, as I think it sits a little nose down. We'll see, maybe the rear coils will settle after a bit.

I didn't get a chance to measure before, but it was sitting right about 22" in the front after. I haven't measured the rears yet.

I will say one thing, the ride is spectacular! You feel the contours of the road, but you don't feel like the road bounces you around, and no more of that swaying up and down.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: