Hypertech power programmer installed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJDevildog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed a hypertech Max Energy programmer last week, ordered from Amazon for about $330 on sale from $500 something.

After about a week of driving I've already noticed significant fuel mileage increase. Typically was getting around 70-90 miles on the first quarter tank, this last tank I got 112 miles before hitting the quarter tick. Only other modification is an Amsoil drop in filter.

Also noticed the Jeep does not downshift nearly as often, which is nice I guess. Though I do enjoy the growl of the 3.7 pulling up to 5k+

Feels more potent around town and definitely nicer to merge onto the busy freeways down here in SoCal.

Plan on giving a AEM intake a shot some time soon, I've read better things about them then the KnN systems.

Will also be putting a KnN drop in into the Jeep next week in place of the Amsoil to check if there is any difference.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone here will tell you that you won't get any gains from a CAI. I don't know, so its your choice. What all options are available on the Hypertech, as I was thinking of getting one?

KJDevildog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone here will tell you that you won't get any gains from a CAI. I don't know, so its your choice. What all options are available on the Hypertech, as I was thinking of getting one?

With the hypertech you don't get the full range of options available, but what you do get is as follows:

Adjust top speed setting
Adjust rev limit
Adjust cooling temp
3 power settings (Stock, Regular, Premium)
Plus it adjusts shift points/firmness

Mumbo

Reaction score
I was on Hypertech's website, I didn't see the Liberty listed. Did you order it for another 3.7L application?

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might have to try it then, the SCT isn't able to do anything with the trans and the shift programming is what I hate the worst.

KJDevildog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered mine from Amazon, but I thought I saw the 06 liberty supported on the website. Let's have a look...................

The page with the Jeep Ok well my link was broken. But I easily searched for 06 Jeep Liberty at the top of the page and it came right up.

The dyno chart http://www.hypertech.com/Performanc...subishi_Truck_SUV_Non_Tire_and_Gear_52501.pdf

The part number Part #52501

When I ordered it it initially came for Chysler/Dodge/Jeep 3.7l truck. My liberty wasn't supported, and I had to update. Took about ten minutes.

Last edited:

holmadik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Devildog i hear you its embarassing having to drive a hyundai xg-350 around when you have a jeep with new tires to play with.

KJDevildog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Devildog i hear you its embarassing having to drive a hyundai xg-350 around when you have a jeep with new tires to play with.

While I'd hate to roll around in an econobox while my wife drives my Jeep, I'm rather fortunate to drive around in this beauty! 1977 BMW 320i with all sorts of goodies.

You must be registered for see images

ACWeller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a k&n filter kit and took it off and put the stock intake back on. I may give ya a deal on the k&n if interested. I'd like to know more about tbe hyper tech and your opinions of it aswell.

KJDevildog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a k&n filter kit and took it off and put the stock intake back on. I may give ya a deal on the k&n if interested. I'd like to know more about tbe hyper tech and your opinions of it aswell.

What made you take the KnN kit off? I know what the rumors are about it, that you lose MPGs and power and it is a terrible setup, etc.

My opinion on the Hypertech is this:

Get it. It may not be the best programmer available for vehicles, and it may not net huge HP gains. But as our options for the Liberty are extremely limited, it is the best tuner we can get for it's price. I'm pretty sure the only other tune available is the B&G tune, which requires you to send either your ECU in or a spare.

If I'd had had $500 to spend on a tune, and the ability to have my families primary car go down for a little while I would have sent my computer to B&G, as their tune is a lot more powerful.

But with the Hypertech you have the ability to set your own parameters and it also doubles as a code reader. It will also work on other vehicles, as long as you only tune one vehicle at a time. Which means if you plan another Jeep in the future, or just about any modern Chysler(Dodge/Jeep/Ram) then you have a programmer which will most likely work for it.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any CAI is a bad setup as they let more crap into the engine. I used to have one but removed it as there was a buildup of dust inside the intake where as with a stock box there was none. And besides the stock box supplies the engine with all the air it will ever be able to use and maybe even a bit more.

KJDevildog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little update on this programmer.

Yesterday I drove from San Diego, CA to MOAB, UT which is around 800 miles.

On previous trips on this same loop the Liberty usually gets 16-17MPG. This is due to 75-80mph speed limits, a lot of hills, and usually strong winds.

This trip we managed a solid 18.6+ MPG doing a usual 75-85 mph with a very bad wind directly against us for a good section of the trip.

Torx

Reaction score
Picked up one of these for my rig as well. It does show some noticeable gains in seat of the pants HP. I bought mine so I could also change the computer after I put on bigger tires, mine is an early 2007 and still had some 2006 electronics in it so the programmer can't change the tire and gearing selections as it states in the ads. Just something to be aware of if you have a 2006 or older Liberty.

Austerity

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up one of these for my rig as well. It does show some noticeable gains in seat of the pants HP. I bought mine so I could also change the computer after I put on bigger tires, mine is an early 2007 and still had some 2006 electronics in it so the programmer can't change the tire and gearing selections as it states in the ads. Just something to be aware of if you have a 2006 or older Liberty.

I have a 2006 and mine changed the gearing but not the tire size.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

threadjacked.gif

Hey Torx, every time I see your sig I'm reminded of a trip we made to Victoria and I seriously enjoyed having Nanaimo bars for dessert - and breakfast, and lunch, and dinner, and...

I mean, how do you keep from gaining 50 pounds a year with those as a regular sweet treat?!?!????

Sorry for the hijack gang :sorrysign:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Still not sold on these
Doesn't provide enough for what they cost
I pull 18 and better with a 5X8 trailer with garden tractor, tools, etc
and no programmer

Last edited: