Huntbuggy is lifted !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(Officially, aligned this afternoon and enjoyed the new ride until late!)

Thanks all for the feedback early on on deciding on parts for the project, discussion and chiding. Good advice and support during the install - which I stubbornly did alone just to learn the vehicle - was totally invaluable and could not have got it done without the people and content on the forums.

:big_banana_Dance:

Now on to the winch install ($?) and new wheels and tires... Jeeps.
Never done.

So this is what she looks like so far. Looking more like a Huntbuggy I think.

attachment.php

The rear is now refitted with a Superbumper again to keep souped Civics from slipping underneath (again). The ride is unbelievable - I think the old rear shocks must have been completely destroyed because it is smooth as silk over bumps, potholes and <ahem> curbs ;)

attachment.php

The alignment was pretty gruelling, but visited the tech often for moral support - definitely got my money's worth. Before the inside camber was totally insane.

attachment.php

Next time around will replace the LCA bolts as it's still off a tiny bit on the driver's because of the rusted bolt is pretty seized up inside the metal core of the bushing and could only go so far. Tech said no problems usually with the bushings, just replace the bolts/cams but they can be a pain to find but will get on ordering soon. It drives totally fine, but as he predicted, notice a very slight pull at high speed to the right - no shimmy or vibration or driveline effects I have noticed driving it all evening/night - <knock wood>. I guess if it had been the other side would never notice with road curvatures - so will have to drive in the fast lane when there is one :happy175: Printer was busted but will pick up a printout next time I swing by. Only lost about 1/8 inch after alignment so just a hair over 22 7/8 (actually even both sides) but expect some settle and perhaps driver's sag?

attachment.php

All in all a bit more blood, sweat and tears than expected but it rides like a new truck and I'm really liking how it's looking. Can't wait for big*ss tires :)

Thanks again all - you know who you are.

:party52: (...but will keep coasters in the glovebox - no beer rings on the new ARB, eh?)

Last edited:

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(I know I know the side pics are coming - want to park with some other Liberties first as is the custom - side by side at the local BeerStore perhaps...)

sparkman70

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:waytogo:Looks good it makes me want tuseday to come faster so i can get my lift in.I love the the front bumper too

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
That is lookin sweet and I can tell by pics even without the side view,you got boat loads of fender well clearance!. Where did you get the rear Honda protector? link:?
By the way in pic one you can tell that front end looks too black & shiny!
Get some off road time in and bounce those new clean springs in a lot.
How does it feels over speed bumps....??

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks nice! I like your civic stopper, I need to get one of those. Only I want one with teeth to leave prominent bite marks. :)

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:waytogo:Looks good it makes me want tuseday to come faster so i can get my lift in.I love the the front bumper too

Ha! you haven't read his thread have you? LOL. Just kidding...

Looks really good. What's the center to flare measurement? Congrats!!

..oh yea, Needs tires! and the cover off the spare!!! ... and some red paint!

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ROFL - Red paint is on the JBA arms - where it belongs :badger_1:

I have the rear Sparebumpers/Superbumpers on all our vehicles... when my wife is driving for some reason her rear end is like a magnet. :icon_twisted: Maybe that's why I married her!

Now the Superbumper testimonials.... Have had three people literally go under the Jeep and just meet the gas tank armor, my body shop loved us so found this thing on another vehicle forum and gave it a shot. The Liberty since had a parking lot incident where an old F-150 backed up on us and the Superbumper took nothing but a little corner scrape and the truck's rear bumper had a nice cylinder-end ding an inch deep. Her new SUV got a dinger on the Superbumper at a drive-thru entrance which took out a kid's Mazda's cowl and rad bottom so not a scratch yet on the new car. They're pretty solid steel, a quick rub of emery paper on the impact spot and a squirt of gloss black and they're back to new.

Check out www.superbumper.com I've dealt personally with the CEO Jeff Mohr and can attest to the service. He'll replace your gear if you sustain an accident and keep photos of how it saved your truck, and was really cool about international shipping to Canada cheaply and quickly. Was nice to have the president and developer take a personal interest in what vehicles his bumpers were going on and sending extra rubber buffers/springs and hitch pins when we ordered a couple and spoke to him about our experiences.

Incidentally, it makes for a really good hitch step with the grip strip about where it should be to get up on the roof to get at racks or clean off guano...

And Sparkman70 - all I can say if you're doing your own lift is be boy scout prepared for unforseen stuff. I thought I was and ended up with about double the time forecast up on stands than I had planned - actually mostly because of waiting for parts and not having enough time in a day to finish stuff after hours. Another thing is if you can afford it, don't wait to order JBAs - do it now and installation and alignment will be waaay easier. (Plus once you have everthing stripped out of the engine bay like battery area and intake you may as well do them - the UCA bolts look challenging but are pretty easy with the right tools).

Hope some of my posts here and LOST go into future searches for people up against the same challenges I had... and stupid questions I asked.

All in all pretty satified with the results.

Just cleaning up the garage today and organizing tools and such.

Next thread - making a giant KJ toolbox that will be permanently in the Jeep, and a giant rubbermaid bin for recovery gear and spare parts.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Both in Ottawa..That is what Tim Horton's is for...you should meet..
I like Ottawa..in Hull the bars are open late../off sales..too!:party52:

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only lost about 1/8 inch after alignment so just a hair over 22 7/8 (actually even both sides) but expect some settle and perhaps driver's sag?

It's a good idea to get it aligned again in a month or so when everything does settle.
Which reminds me, I need to take mine in for an alignment again..... you think we can get a group discount on the alignment? :smokin:

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both in Ottawa..That is what Tim Horton's is for...you should meet..
I like Ottawa..in Hull the bars are open late../off sales..too!:party52:

It's not Hull anymore it's all Gatineau :freak3:
But the bars were fun back in the day...

Jeep Night at Tim Hortons.....why not lol

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good idea for an Ottawa coffee park and chat...

Noticed one on www.jeepscanada.com but looks like their site is DEAD the last week or so!

There was some stuff also on www.jeepkings.ca where a lot of guys from Ottawa Valley Offroaders seem to mill around. ( www.ovo.ca ) Or maybe some of the www.eotb.ca guys might actually live around here... but haven't heard of any KJers at events before.

Will have to go searching around for other KJers too - found one guy in Kanata and my guy in the service dpt Mike says he has another client in the East end here somewhere who has another (spacer) lifted KJ and she apparently drives it in the Jamborees.

Would be cool to see 4-5 of us and compare to other Jeepers and 4x4s... locally.

Hit up the Larose forest log roads this morning and this thing is awesome now, but probably needs tires to get to my fishing holes when the season opens soon... might have to bite the bullet sooner than later.

Am looking at Frisby Tire for Cragars and Duratracs - it appears there's a $20 point of sale discount on Goodyears all spring long! :)

huntbuggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a good idea to get it aligned again in a month or so when everything does settle.
Which reminds me, I need to take mine in for an alignment again..... you think we can get a group discount on the alignment? :smokin:

Am going to wait until I get wheels and tires probably. Perhaps in next couple months. Have a few Moog parts to throw in at the same time (tie rods ends and stab. links, maybe LBJs too?) and will probably get some Daystar stab. bushings while I'm at it. Should be a good point to try for the alignment again.

Will hopefully have found brand new LCA bolts/cams by then and will have the old ones cut and hammered out and replaced to get aligned close to perfect or at least below a degree?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Fountain tire/Good Year has sales on 4 for price of 3 until end of April.
I think the promotion comes directly from GoodYear so any tire store should have deals.
The listing for DuraTrac was $100 less (for 4?)
http://www.fountaintire.com/tires/promotions
Just helping ya to remember.. Just Empty Every Pocket! (lol)

Latest posts

Members online