Hubs still noisy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03Sport

Reaction score
Howdy-

So I just changed the hubs on my 2WD Liberty. Seemed like it fixed the bearing noise for a couple days, but now it's back. While I was in there, it looked like the ball joints had seen better days. Could bad ball joints be causing the new hubs to make noise, or did I just get some bad new parts?

Thanks-
Brady

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue, but I just lifted my kj. But ball joint wont make a bearing like noise. The only culprits could be wheel bearings, cv axles on a 4wd, and drive shafts, which again you don't have a front shaft.

What brand wheel bearings did you install?

03Sport

Reaction score
They were aftermarket hubs- don't know the brand. yeah, I figured it wasn't the joints making noise, but i wondered if maybe bad joints would put additional pressure on the hubs or something..

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
If they are not SKF or Timken ... that could be your problem. The cheap ones don't last very long even if silent at the start.

03Sport

Reaction score
OK, point taken- but "not lasting very long" should be more than 2 days, shouldn't it?

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should be. Years ago I put $40 hubs on my old Chrysler 300M (same general hub assembly design) and literally got about 5k miles out of them before I replaced them.

Just about 100 miles ago I put a Timken on the kj, and it's noisier than the old bearing that went out. Not sure if it's just noisy or a bad part...either way, seems like the best way to fix is with OEM stuff....but others seemed to have luck with Timken

03Sport

Reaction score
Well, Timken is well-known in the bearing world- not sure about this application in particular, but I guess any manufacturer could have a bad part from time to time. Which could also be true with the ones I installed. Any thoughts on my theory about the bad ball joints contributing to the noise? Joints probably need to be done anyway- just curious if I might be compounding my bearing issue with weak joints...

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Double check your lug nut torques to make sure none of them worked loose. Loose ones can give you a thunking noise, and eventually worse.
For what it's worth, I've used nothing but Timken bearing hubs (they're the name for bearings), on my Liberty, Wrangler, Vette, Explorer...., and never had a bad one. Mine have been good results, I wouldn't really call it luck.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No sure how bad your noise is but when was the last time you had an alignment done.

03Sport

Reaction score
Lug nuts are good- probably does need an alignment, but would like to get the ball joints done first. And I do hear some noise occasionally from the u-joints- mainly when slowing down/stopping and then taking off again. Not always, but sometimes. And that is a different noise than what I'm getting from the hubs. It's got 185K on it and still running strong, but am needing to get some of these issues resolved.

Latest posts

Members online