Howling noises from front end?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fango925

Reaction score
Hey guys! Just yesterday my 2006 3.7l KJ started making a howling noise from somewhere in the drivetrain. To me, in the cabin, it sounds like it's from somewhere in the front axle. I'm guessing either a wheel bearing or an issue with the front diff. At first, we thought it was the U-joint on my front driveshaft from my T-Case to my front diff. After pulling that, and finding out how worn my U-joint was (And in need of replacement) we figured we solved the problem. However, it's still howling away.

Problems:
-Loud Howl (Same pitch as my K02's, but way, way louder.)
-Sounds like it's from the front axle
-Dependent on wheel speed, not engine speed
-No clicking, grinding, or other metal on metal sounds
-Wheels don't have any play other than what's expected
-CV joints have a small grease leak, but it should be fine. Doesn't sound like it's the CV Boot (no clicking)
-Wheels are brand new and should have been aligned less than 1k miles ago
-Lug nuts are tight
-Rotors are fine
-Sound completely stops while turning right, but doesn't get louder when turning left

I have to drive 200 miles back to college tomorrow. Anyone know what this issue could be? Along with that, is it safe? Thanks for the help

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If sound changes at all with steering change my first thought would be brng/hub assy. Sometimes the trick is determining which side.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Check your left bearing/hub first
turning right puts more pressure on the left side so will "most times" cause the noise to stop

shortyfelic

Reaction score
Hi my 06 does the exact same thing sounds like big off road tires howling drives fine nothing loose on front end it starts about 25mph and gets louder the faster you go no difference if you put it in 4wd changed tires still same sound so annoying im stumped pleease!!! any suggestions thank you

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shorty, you didn't mention if noise changes with steering wheel movement. THAT is surest indication of hub assy. Anything else will be considerably more expensive.

Bob

shortyfelic

Reaction score
There is a slight change when i steer to the left but only a very little nothing to the right thank you

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jack it up, check for play. Rotate by hand and listen/feel for any roughness.
Bob

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have just (in the last few days) developed something similar, only it sounds as though it may be coming from the rear. Appeared the day after driving through the worst storm Southern Germany has had in years. I'm touring on holiday, so no access to tools or a dealer. Any suggestions?

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just found that the howling on mine was a bearing breaking up in the rear diff, so it looks like I could be in for an expensive repair. You might want to check your front diff in case its something similar.

Fango925

Reaction score
Whelp! You guys were right. Just a shot wheel bearing. Got it fixed, and now it's good as new! Thanks for the help everyone!