Howdy from Texas !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my first post in your forum. Thankfully, I am having no trouble with my Liberty at this time (knock on wood), but I was cruising the internet to find out about my fuel pump and fuel filter. It's a pretty day outside, so I decided to crawl under the hooptie to see how difficult it would be to change out the fuel pump, should the need arise (the hooptie has 146k miles on it, and it's never been changed).

I found a thread to this site, and decided to join up. The hooptie is basically a grocery-getter (2003 6-cylinder, 2wd). It got me through most of college, and law-school too. I love this little heap ! As far as modern cars go, it's gotta be one of the easiest I've ever worked on. The water pump went out this summer. The AC compressor took a dive back in 2008, along with the crank sensor. I replaced the coils and spark plugs that same year.

I found a 13' piece of 3/8" chain (with hooks) in the road this week, then found a 5' piece of 3/8" chain (no hooks) the very next day. Now, I've discovered this site, dedicated to the venerable Jeep Liberty ! All in all, it's been a good week !

Thanks for having me :)

:favorites13:

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome Moon!!
So bored and looking at what all it takes to replace the fuel pump?
Then I read you replaced the spark plugs in 2008, hopefully that wasn't the last time you did that. If so there's your project for the day!!!:happy175:

Moon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome Moon!!
So bored and looking at what all it takes to replace the fuel pump?
Then I read you replaced the spark plugs in 2008, hopefully that wasn't the last time you did that. If so there's your project for the day!!!:happy175:

Haha. Yeah, I don't clean the hooptie nearly enough, but I do like to keep it regularly serviced. Essentially, I was looking for the fuel pump to crap out on me at 100k miles, but it has not. I know it's gonna give out eventually, so I figured I would at least take a look at it to see what it was going to take.

The spark plugs were changed in 2008, and not since. I drive like an old man (60mph, turn signal on with no intention of turning, etc), so hopefully the lack of aggressive driving will amount to an extended life on the hooptie. I just thought of something though... I probably do need to change out the differential fluid. It's never been changed. :doh2:

:cheers:

Moon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of photos of the hooptie :)

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a year newer than yours, and its pretty much a grocery getter too! Nothing wrong with that.

Welcome to the forum! Hope it comes in great use for you like it has for me. :emoticondancer:

Moon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a year newer than yours, and its pretty much a grocery getter too! Nothing wrong with that.

Yessir. The car I owned before I got the Liberty was a 1991 Grand Wagoneer. I loved that shit-pile dearly, but the fuel mileage was horrid. The whole car was starting to fall apart, and I was needing to move all the way across the state (eliminating my access to a serviceable work-space and tools). Long story short, I needed a newer model ride that was less likely to crap out on me. I wasn't looking for an off-road mudding machine, I just needed it to get me from A to B, all of which involved a paved surface. I did get it stuck once, with both passenger-side tires still on the road.

I found this one in someone's front yard with a for-sale sign on it. 22k miles, and it looked like it was brand new. I went to the bank, signed a promissory note, and I've been driving it ever since.

LaneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yessir. The car I owned before I got the Liberty was a 1991 Grand Wagoneer. I loved that shit-pile dearly, but the fuel mileage was horrid. The whole car was starting to fall apart, and I was needing to move all the way across the state (eliminating my access to a serviceable work-space and tools). Long story short, I needed a newer model ride that was less likely to crap out on me. I wasn't looking for an off-road mudding machine, I just needed it to get me from A to B, all of which involved a paved surface. I did get it stuck once, with both passenger-side tires still on the road.

I found this one in someone's front yard with a for-sale sign on it. 22k miles, and it looked like it was brand new. I went to the bank, signed a promissory note, and I've been driving it ever since.

Neat story. I've always loved the body style of the Grand Wagoneers. Mine was purchased brand new for $26k off a local car lot in the fall of 2003 by my parents. They drove it until December of 2010 when they got a 2011 Grand Cherokee. Nice car. When I got it, it had 103K on it. Now, actually today, it has exactly 108K on it and still going strong. I love that car.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well if you drive like an old man all the more reason to do tuneups/diffs/trans fer case/ ****** / antifreeze, oil changes way over due on all of them I'll bet from the sound of it
And the fuel pump, mines got 166,000 and no problems buddys got over 190,000 and stock fuel pump
Now of course tjkj has changed his more times than you've tuned yours up ha ha

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that a Autoboatjeep KJ. Heard of them but never seen one before.
LOL

Moon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you drive like an old man all the more reason to do tuneups/diffs/trans fer case/ ****** / antifreeze, oil changes way over due on all of them I'll bet from the sound of it
And the fuel pump, mines got 166,000 and no problems buddys got over 190,000 and stock fuel pump
Now of course tjkj has changed his more times than you've tuned yours up ha ha

Haha. I change the transmission fluid semi-regularly, but perhaps not regularly enough. I got it changed at 47k, 100k, and I'm about to have it changed again this week. How come ya'll change your spark plugs so often ?? Honestly, I didn't see much wrong with the spark plugs that I took out from 2008, but changed them anyway.

The coolant shouldn't be a big problem. When my water-pump went out this summer, it took pretty much all of the old coolant with it.

Latest posts

Members online