How to upgrade exterior plastics/maybe Rhinolining?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keseleth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I've been having far too many issues with the exterior plastics on my 03' Renegade, and I am determined to do something to improve them.

Anyone know of any coatings/additives to make the plastics less susceptible to waxes/spills/compounds/life etc?

I've considered Rhino-lining, but I've never used it before. What kind of prep would I need to do to the surfaces? Just sanding/degreasing? Also, how rough of a surface does it dry to?

Any tips or ideas would be much appreciated! And Happy 4th to those in the States!

~Kes

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Haven't heard many issues but if you're having problems.............
Buddy of mine had his done with Line-X back in 05 or maybe 06, still looks like new yet, got the extra UV protection.
Forget what kind tjkj used but his has held up very well over the years, check with him.

Keseleth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forget what kind tjkj used but his has held up very well over the years, check with him.

Will do! Thank you very much! I've only recently heard of Line-X, so I'll look into that too. Living in the desert with no garage, extra UV protection would be a definite plus.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While you are looking into a long term solution you could try Mother's Back to Black. It helps on any color plastic.

Keseleth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While you are looking into a long term solution you could try Mother's Back to Black. It helps on any color plastic.

Thanks! I love Mother's B2B...awesome stuff. Unfortunately it doesn't quite work the miracles I need. I've got the plastics on my KJ looking great, but when anything gets on them (and I mean anything) it takes divine intervention to get it off. Dust, wax, pollen, bird doo, bug guts...it gets sucked in and assimilated. (Hmm...a Borg KJ...I think my Jeep just earned its name!)

On the worst spots I've tried 409, Goof Off, Goo-B-Gone, peanut butter, Mother's, and Dawn. The peanut butter hid stuff for a few days, the Goo-B-Gone only worked on non-textured surfaces, and the Goof Off actually melted the plastic (without removing the stain).:bawl:

I would like to find something to coat the plastic surfaces and essentially seal them so they are non-porous, but will not scratch as easily as paint. Rhino-lining sounds like an option, but I need to know what folks are doing to prep the plastic so it adheres.

Thanks all! And any suggestions are more than welcome!

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine with Duplicolor BedArmor spray can 12 bucks ea. at PepBoys.
I used it on the side panels, fenders, bumpers, grill, and badges

here she is with the Tommudd 3.5" Eco lift

You must be registered for see images attach

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't use POR15...looked awesome at first, but didn't hold up. doesn't bond to plastic well and basically peels off over time.

05renny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't use POR15...looked awesome at first, but didn't hold up. doesn't bond to plastic well and basically peels off over time.

Also, regular POR-15 breaks down with UV light. You either have to top coat it with the UV protective finish, or use the POR-15 with the UV protection already in it. I've used POR-15 extensively, and they clearly state not to be in direct sunlight.

Keseleth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine with Duplicolor BedArmor spray can 12 bucks ea. at PepBoys.
I used it on the side panels, fenders, bumpers, grill, and badges

Nice! How long have you had it on and how is it holding up?
I hadn't considered doing the entire bumpers on mine, but seeing yours has changed my mind! :hmm:

hectikart & 05renny: Yikes, I will scratch POR15 off the list of possibilities! UV protection is a must, otherwise I'd be re-painting every few years. :yucky:

Thanks, all!

Rogue

Reaction score
Hey All,

I've been having far too many issues with the exterior plastics on my 03' Renegade, and I am determined to do something to improve them.

Anyone know of any coatings/additives to make the plastics less susceptible to waxes/spills/compounds/life etc?

I've considered Rhino-lining, but I've never used it before. What kind of prep would I need to do to the surfaces? Just sanding/degreasing? Also, how rough of a surface does it dry to?

Any tips or ideas would be much appreciated! And Happy 4th to those in the States!

~Kes

Rustoleum Black paint for plastic bumpers and trim has been on mine for a year no issues. If you scratch its an easy touch up.

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! How long have you had it on and how is it holding up?
I hadn't considered doing the entire bumpers on mine, but seeing yours has changed my mind! :hmm:

hectikart & 05renny: Yikes, I will scratch POR15 off the list of possibilities! UV protection is a must, otherwise I'd be re-painting every few years. :yucky:

Thanks, all!

The front has been bedlined for about 8 mos the rear and sides were done about 3 wks ago. it holds up great easy touch up if needed after wheeling but dont seem to scratch easyseems to stay unfaded clean up good.

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got tons of Line-X on mine. The black Line-x Xtra with the UV protection looks brand new after 5 years. The color matched....well, I'm going to take it back to them to be redone in black. I highly recommend the top of the line black. It's amazing. I would avoid the more costly color matched though.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got tons of Line-X on mine. The black Line-x Xtra with the UV protection looks brand new after 5 years. The color matched....well, I'm going to take it back to them to be redone in black. I highly recommend the top of the line black. It's amazing. I would avoid the more costly color matched though.

PICS!:pics-****:

TheJawsOfDeath

Reaction score
Here's how mine looks with the plastic and bottom of the doors done with black plastidip.
You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't compare plastic dip to Line X
I've got plastic dip on my old set of flares and while it looks OK
wish it was Line X

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to line-x the plastics on mine, but the delay (at least around me. only shop remotely close has a 6 week lead time!) makes that kind of hard.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
The Line-X stuff looks interesting. What does something like that cost if you wanted to do the plastic surfaces?

Members online

No members online now.