How to test A/C clutch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the compressor replaced for the locked up clutch about 3 years ago

this past weekend went to turn ac on/ and it didn't get cold, I hooked up a refill gauge and it showed high pressure so I didn;t add any, the clutch never kicked on, I checked the fuses, and swapped still didnt work

I feel that maybe the compressor died, but would like to jump the clutch to make sure,(did not have that horrible sound like when the clutch locked up)

my question is, do I just run a hot wire from the battery to one of the 2 prongs in the connector at the front of the compressor,

thanks for any help

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could just jumper the pressure switch that sits on top of the silver tank ( accumulator ) .

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could just jumper the pressure switch that sits on top of the silver tank ( accumulator ) .

Thanks, Just put the jumper wire in the plugs, got an (very slight increase engine power noise)

But the A/C compressor clutch did not engage

does that prove that the compressor went bad again, any other test?

Thanks for the quick response

02liberty3.7

Reaction score
inject with power probe or +12,the best way to determine electromagnetic condition is check draw,partially smoked will have higher flow rate approaching fuse or breaker rating.

02liberty3.7

Reaction score
no compressor clutch engagement

power it,engagement means high limit or low limit open,or no a/c power.no engagement directly powered,rusted up or electromagnetically smoked(which can be determined by DC resistance check,open or short)rusted up will resemble short with DC resistance check but visible engagement eliminates the mechanical seizure possibility.

w4jvc

Reaction score
My 2006 has refrigerant, and the clutch won't engage. The clutch will engage if jumped, compressor runs, and yes, cold air cometh.

What is wrong? I'm reading about pressure switches, low and high. How do I bypass them to see where the problem is??