HOW TO: Replace the Blower Control Resistor Block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It went AGAIN!

Thanks so much for posting this, guys!!! I had recently lost speeds 1 and 2 on my fan and was dreading a visit to the dealer. Thanks to this thread, I was able to spend just a few minutes and fix the problem.

Thanks again! (cool)

Bob

The above message I am quoting was posted "07-08-2006, 03:13 AM." I still have my Liberty and it is doing just fine, now with over 121k miles on it. But, don't you know, the resistor went out again! Now, I couldn't recall if I bought the first replacement at the Jeep dealer (now out of business) or at the nearby auto parts store. I called the store on a whim and spoke with a guy there, and they had one in stock, although at $27 it was eight or 10 bucks more expensive than what I was finding online with free shipping. Here's the kicker: Theirs was guaranteed for life.

I told the guy I couldn't remember where I bought the one I put in there but that it was either him or the Jeep dealer. He said if I wanted to bring it in, he'd take a look at it and if they could match it up with theirs, he could maybe warranty it.

Tonight, I did just that. It took a few minutes to get the old one out, and off I went. The guy I spoke with wasn't there, but I told the clerk what had been said and she said ok and got theirs out. I pulled my old one out of my pocket and handed it to her and they were IDENTICAL. All the markings. Everything. So, she gave it to me for free. It took her a few keystrokes on her computer and she needed my ID since I didn't have the receipt anymore, etc., but overall it was an excellent experience.

I got home and popped the new one in, and presto! All fan speeds were now restored.

I do not tend to plug businesses, but since this is apparently a chronic/recurring problem, I will. It was the national chain Advance Auto Parts. their home page is here: Advance Auto Parts: Car, Engine, Batteries, Brakes, Replacement, Performance & Accessories

If you are planning on keeping your Liberty, I suggest buying from them, because when it craps out again, it won't cost you anything. And, the OEM unit lasted me four years, but the replacement I got from them went six, almost 7 years, so would seem to be a superior product.

ivantate

Reaction score
I went and did this due to the recommendation.

Hope I don't need to replace it again, but if I do then it will be free. Woohooooooo.