HOW TO: low profile cross bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Should be. The weight in it will also keep it down.
What size box? This is what I use:
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/cargo-carrier/car-top-carrier/thule-sonic-xl-_-1680026
You'll be fine with the right cross bar spread. The boxyness of the KJ is great since you don't have to worry about the rear glass hitting it, so you're free to set the cross bars up for best weight distribution. On the WK I had to shift everything forward so the gate would clear, which meant having a narrower spread. Didn't cause any issues with the box though.

I think the boxes are the weak link. I got mine for $200 at REI since it had a crack in it, fixed it with fiberglass. The clamps are ****** feeling to me, my box has one that probably should be replaced. Don't be surprised either if it moves on you after a long highway drive, at first that alarmed me that it moved around, but since learned it's not going anywhere and you'll go mad trying to keep it in one spot.

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sears.com

• With an 18 cu.ft capacity and a maximum weight load of 110 lbs.
  • Passenger side opening designed for easy loading and unloading
  • Two locks keep luggage safe
  • Made from high-density polyethylene, it's high-quality and sturdy
  • Item Weight: 32 lbs.
  • Dimensions: 52"(L) x 39"(W) x 21"(H)

definitely not as aerodynamic as your thule but it was only $40

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got mine installed today.

Used the chain-link fence t-clamp from lowes (home depot does not carry them).
bought 3/4" IMC conduit from home depot due to the requirements I had with the existing cargo box u bolts.

Had to cut 4x 1" and halved them to be JB weld on each end of the crossbars to increase the thickness on the end for the T-clamps.

Did not need to bend the conduit. the IMC I chose had a good wall thickness to make it very rigid.

Used some furniture bumper and RTV to seal the ends of the conduits. The ugly JB weld and RTV all hide within the T-clamp. used some pieces of bicycle inner tube between the T-clamp on the roof rails.

Didn't want to deal with painting the galvanized surface so left it as is.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got mine installed today.

Used the chain-link fence t-clamp from lowes.
bought 3/4" IMC conduit from home depot due to the requirements I had with the existing cargo box u bolts.

Had to cut 4x 1" and halved them to be JB weld on each end of the crossbars to increase the thickness on the end for the T-clamps.

Did not need to bend the conduit. the IMC I chose had a good wall thickness to make it very rigid.

Used some furniture bumper and RTV to seal the ends of the conduits. The ugly JB weld and RTV all hide within the T-clamp. used some pieces of bicycle inner tube between the T-clamp on the roof rails.

Didn't want to deal with painting the galvanized surface so left it as is.

Pics? Curious to see what you did with the T-clamps. I simply used some insulation and tighten the bottom bolt to bend and "wrap" the clamp around the stock rail. As I said earlier...wasn't the way I wanted it. So doing it again I would use OP's style clamps. I bedlined the galvanized piping.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll take some pictures tomorrow I guess.
a little embarrassed since the clear coat on the roof is all gone to shizzle.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GET THAT CLEARCOAT FIXED BUB- kidding, kidding
Looks good though, hopefully those can hold weight because they don't look to be very strong
Prove me wrong!

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like I may need to put a fairing or twist some cord around the crossbar.
Getting a loud howling noise at highway speeds.

Anyone else with similar experience?

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure that's being caused by the air space between the 2 halves of your clamps. Try filling it with a little black RTV or wrap it up well with electrical tape to confirm that's the cause first. Doesn't take much of a air gap to create a whistle at driving speeds.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I actually thought you used the style clamp that I had on mine. Looks pretty good! They are a bit thin looking though.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure that's being caused by the air space between the 2 halves of your clamps. Try filling it with a little black RTV or wrap it up well with electrical tape to confirm that's the cause first. Doesn't take much of a air gap to create a whistle at driving speeds.

I'll be taping up the clamps to see whether that's the cause but I suspect that since the front cross bar is close to the roof, the air forced underneath it is causing the howling noise.

Interesting. I actually thought you used the style clamp that I had on mine. Looks pretty good! They are a bit thin looking though.

Nah. I'd have had to buy your style online and they cost a fortune which at that point I might as well buy some decent looking ebay crossbars online.
Mine iss the same style as the OP and you did say you wanted to use the OP's version as well.
That is my concern too with this design .... will see how this goes...
No sound issue with yours?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine are down low between the side rails and I get no noise. I do have a fairing on the front of the basket but it covers the basket itself, not the lower end of the crossbars.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt it would change anything, but looks like your crossbars are set closer together than the OPs.. looks like his are as far forward and backward on the rails as he can get them

But if the noise persists I'd just get some cool looking paracord.. fill the holes in with rtv, and wrap up the ends..
If that doesn't fix it, sounds like it's time to throw a light bar up there to push the wind up over :D

Been wanting to go this route as well on making mine so I'd love to know how it turns out!

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I taped up the sides and it did not change anything.
The ends of the pipes are already plugged.

The reason why I had my cross bars at those specific locations are for my cargo box.

My front cross bars are pretty low to the roof so I suspect that is the cause.
I'll try wrapping the front crossbar next.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt it would change anything, but looks like your crossbars are set closer together than the OPs.. looks like his are as far forward and backward on the rails as he can get them

But if the noise persists I'd just get some cool looking paracord.. fill the holes in with rtv, and wrap up the ends..
If that doesn't fix it, sounds like it's time to throw a light bar up there to push the wind up over :D

Been wanting to go this route as well on making mine so I'd love to know how it turns out!

Some get wind noise with light bars so could make it worse.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
so I taped up the sides and it did not change anything.
The ends of the pipes are already plugged.

The reason why I had my cross bars at those specific locations are for my cargo box.

My front cross bars are pretty low to the roof so I suspect that is the cause.
I'll try wrapping the front crossbar next.

Mine I had on the 04 at first were even lower,( in 2005 or so ) no wind noise from them