HOW TO: Install an EVIC or OTIS (overhead computer)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you have the premium BCM I'm thinking it will fly. You will need that temp sensor, probably some TPM sensors, and preferably as much of the wiring harness as you can get from another KJ so you'll have the proper connectors.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you have the premium BCM I'm thinking it will fly. You will need that temp sensor, probably some TPM sensors, and preferably as much of the wiring harness as you can get from another KJ so you'll have the proper connectors.

What wiring harness? Isn't getting EVIC on ebay enough? is there some special kind of harness that's required as well? I thought its just red/black power that needs to run to the fusebox...

I'm planning on getting the ambient temp sensor but not the tire pressure sensors probably (too expensive).

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your KJ didn't come with an EVIC installed, then you'll need the EVIC wiring harness to get the connectors and wire to hook up the EVIC to the computer and the temp sensor. Cheapest to get it from a junkyard. Also, I believe your EVIC will require TPM sensors. Otherwise, after you get it up and running it's going throw an irritating chime and warning message at you every time you start up saying the TPM sensors are "bad/missing".
Do a search on this forum about new EVIC installs...there's LOTS of info.

Bruceb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I'm trying to beat this thread to death, but...
Have an 06 Renegade, already ebayed a Grand Cherokee unit that I'm not sure will work. I'll have to hit my pick-n-pull, which is right down the street from my company's home office. Looking for EVIC # 56010520AD along with the retainer 5072348AA, and part of the wiring harness. If this looks wrong, let me know.
I have fog lights, so I think I have a good BCM according to the write up from "Anthony".
Interesting thing, after ordering a temp sensor I found My Jeep ALREADY has the ambient temp sensor installed, I hope that means this will be easy.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know how the install went. Do you have TPMs installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruceb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let us know how the install went. Do you have TPMs installed?

I do have tpms but It looks like I need to replace at least 3, they are 10 years old and supposedly dead, but I will update my progress.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to any pull a part/junk yard and any Chrysler vehicle that has the evic module uses the same harness (from my experience) I added mine on my own. My Liberty was a base sport with no options. I now have the limited trim, factory fog lights cruise control and Evic. I pulled my evic from a Chrysler LHS I believe or something similar. They're all the same and look the same. I just tore the headliner down on the junk car and cut off maybe 3 feet of the harness because I didn't feel like taking anything else off and just added my own wiring. Added the temp sensor, and it worked. Drove around in a circle for a minute and then the compass worked. Good modification to have. As for yours having a sunroof, I don't know. They might be different but since I don't have one I don't know what the harness looks like

You must be registered for see images attach

Bruceb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to hit my reclaimation yards in south Sacramento.
I recieved my 03 Grand Cherokee unit, it had a 3 pin connector, 2 sets of black, pink, and yellow wires.
If anyone has any wire up ideas. let me know. I kind of do it for a living, so I don't mind soldering in my own wire harness, but the wires really don't match what I've seen written up.

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have tpms but It looks like I need to replace at least 3, they are 10 years old and supposedly dead, but I will update my progress.

If they're 10 years old you should definitely replace them all, even if any of them appear to be working. It will save you lots of trouble in the long run.

Bruceb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

So I got a hold of an 03 Grand Cherokee module, that I combined with the one I already had and was able to combine everything so I have the main module, dome lights that work, and parts of the wiring. As you can see, I fabricated wire harnesses with male/female connectors ( I work with copiers, I have access to a lot of junk wiring). I had already spliced the dome light connector, I use tap splicers with them and with the wires of the diagnostics plug under the dash. It's easy when you can solder, use heat shrink, and diagram your wires colors.

I plugged my unit in, and it worked perfectly, except the temperature. My 06 already had one installed, but I had bought one, and installed the new one. Still no temp. Also no tire pressure, my units don't work supposedly.

So I now am trying to dig up an 05 or newer unit, I have feelers out with the local yards.

BUT, success with the wiring and harnesses.

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the temperature sensor signals were re-routed starting in 2004...going thru the PCM to the EVIC instead of directly from the temp sensor. I can't quote a black-and-white source for that though...I think I found it in one of these forums. Congrats on the wiring success!!!

fatelvis

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

So I got a hold of an 03 Grand Cherokee module, that I combined with the one I already had and was able to combine everything so I have the main module, dome lights that work, and parts of the wiring. As you can see, I fabricated wire harnesses with male/female connectors ( I work with copiers, I have access to a lot of junk wiring). I had already spliced the dome light connector, I use tap splicers with them and with the wires of the diagnostics plug under the dash. It's easy when you can solder, use heat shrink, and diagram your wires colors.

I plugged my unit in, and it worked perfectly, except the temperature. My 06 already had one installed, but I had bought one, and installed the new one. Still no temp. Also no tire pressure, my units don't work supposedly.

So I now am trying to dig up an 05 or newer unit, I have feelers out with the local yards.

BUT, success with the wiring and harnesses.

I have left-over -07 Liberty module.

Jari

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have left-over -07 Liberty module.

Jari

Would an 07 module be worth it if I have an 05?
I don't have TPMS and don't care for the HomeLink
I think I'd have to go to a junkyard to get one because they're $70-$90 on eBay (with sunroof controls, which I don't have) so no need to pay that much
Anyone know how much they usually run at junkyards?

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would an 07 module be worth it if I have an 05?
Seems to me like it would work. I would definitely not go any older than 05.

I think I'd have to go to a junkyard to get one because they're $70-$90 on eBay (with sunroof controls, which I don't have) so no need to pay that much
Anyone know how much they usually run at junkyards

As a rule the junkyards in my area are pretty damn proud of their stuff, and seem to line up with ebay prices for the most part. That's why I just avoid the driving and use ebay.

lkwoods

Reaction score
I've had an 04 EVIC in my 07 for 3 years now, and I'm getting tired of being nagged about the lack of TPM sensors every time I start up.:emotions122:
So I'm curious if anyone has figured out part numbers.
I'm looking for one that has home link, but not TPM...

I currently have P/N: 56010438AD.
I've narrowed it down to knowing I need P/N: 56010520xx. There's AE, AD, AA, & AB.
Does anyone know of which one of those has home link, but doesn't have TMP? :shrug:

Also might add that I live in rural Alaska, so going to a junk yard isn't an option. sad2.gif

Bruceb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had an 04 EVIC in my 07 for 3 years now, and I'm getting tired of being nagged about the lack of TPM sensors every time I start up.:emotions122:
So I'm curious if anyone has figured out part numbers.
I'm looking for one that has home link, but not TPM...

I currently have P/N: 56010438AD.
I've narrowed it down to knowing I need P/N: 56010520xx. There's AE, AD, AA, & AB.
Does anyone know of which one of those has home link, but doesn't have TMP? :shrug:

Also might add that I live in rural Alaska, so going to a junk yard isn't an option. sad2.gif

The 56010520"AD" version has the homelink but also has the tpm alert, if that helps.

Last edited:

Bruceb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally have my install solved, a Renny 06 that already had the temp sensor installed. I found a 56010520AD which worked, it had the tpm warning on startup and homelink.

But thanks to a member here, FatElvis (Jari), who graciously sent me a unit and then waited for payment after I knew it would work, I also found that 56010527AE worked great. Thanks to jari for the Jeep camaraderie and help!

I will also mention I used a "WJ" mounting tray, that I had to dremel down to fit, but it sits great. I dremeled the dome light area down from where it drops down a 45 degree angle, straight down, and the the rear area (with the screw hole mount) cut down to about finger size. Sorry, no pic before I slipped it under the head liner.

I hope this helps someone.

Latest posts

Members online