HOW TO: Install an EVIC or OTIS (overhead computer)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwc9

Reaction score
Tried to post in the wanted side and could not. I am looking for EVIC w/sunroof, no tpms that will work on a 2004 liberty. Anybody have one. Drop me a pm if you do. Thanks!

jwc9

Reaction score
Ok. I found an OTIS, supposedly out of a 04 liberty. #04760145BF. Got it installed and of course all works ok except the temp. I have looked on here and other sites for the correct part numbers for an 04 libby. Does anyone know them? I would prefer a EVIC. Seems on ebay the sellers do not show what it came out of and if they do you cannot always trust them.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
02 limited with premium BCM. Swapped out the Otis for evic. Literally plugged it in and hung it.

Everything works, I get all menu functions that are important to me at least. The problem I am having is that the auto lock/unlock feature doesn't actually change what the vehicle does. Switching it to "yes" opens the sub menu for auto unlock, so the evic is working fine. Doors still do not lock at 15mph.
Actually, none of the programmable features affect the vehicle. All mpg readings work, all mileage works.

I should say that I did have the dealership turn off the auto lock when I had new keys programmed (only came with one so I could not do it myself). Could this have disabled the ability for evic to take control of that?

I actually like auto lock....but only when the default function of it is to auto unlock the doors when in park and opening driver door. I never remember to switch the unlock button, get to the back of the jeep to open the gate, and get irritated that I have to walk back to the door to unlock, or grab the key fob. I ship a lot, so this is actually a problem.

Any thoughts?

rcjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the size of the hex head bolts in the A-Pillar? I can seem to find the one that fits correct. I don't want to go buy the wrong socket. Thanks

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old thread...but a related question. Will replacement of the OE EVIC in my 04 Limited with a non-TPMS EVIC get rid of that annoying "bad/missing sensor" chime at start-up? I'll be swapping wheels/tires every winter and summer and I haven't yet decided if I want to deal with the hassle or expense of TPMS sensors.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old thread...but a related question. Will replacement of the OE EVIC in my 04 Limited with a non-TPMS EVIC get rid of that annoying "bad/missing sensor" chime at start-up? I'll be swapping wheels/tires every winter and summer and I haven't yet decided if I want to deal with the hassle or expense of TPMS sensors.

The short answer is "Yes." The EVIC doesn't know there are supposed to be sensors it is to listen for - and it doesn't have the brains to listen for them anyway. So no annoying chimes :waytogo:

Bob

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any such thing on planet earth like some kind of database that shows the functions and capabilities of all of the different EVIC and OTIS part numbers for the KJ? There must be hundreds of them...

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say there are hundreds of them. There's a table of model years, vehicles and part numbers. I'll try to find the document and post it here for you Kal-El.

The EVIC has more functions than an OTIS. For example the OTIS provides instant MPG while the EVIC provides average MPG.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sure seems like hundreds, considering all the compatible models from the 300, Libby, Cherokee, etc. If you do find that table it would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sure seems like hundreds, considering all the compatible models from the 300, Libby, Cherokee, etc. If you do find that table it would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Unless you have an '05 which only works with '05 and '06 Liberty OTIS units, of which there were 2 (one with tire psi, one without). All the other ones result in only partial functionality (like no Temp sensor). I've got a collection of them laying around the house right now. :emotions34:

WestlakeOH

Reaction score
I have a 03 Liberty Sport and 05 Liberty Renegade (with sunroof). I upgraded the 03 with an EVIC i pulled from a junkyard and it works great. A little later I found and pulled what I thought was an EVIC from an 04 Liberty from the junk yard for the 05 Renegade. I wired and installed and then realized it was an OTIS that will not display the temp. I've looked through the 05 & 06 parts manuals for the proper EVIC w/sunroof that can be used with a 05-06 Liberty. The only EVIC numbers I've seen are #56010520AD & #56010527AD neither of which show the sunroof switch in the illustration. Is there a different Part Number for a 05-06 EVIC with Sun Roof Switch? Does this EVIC w/sun roof switch used in any other Chrysler 05-06 vehicle like my 03 EVIC came out of?

Lynx47

Reaction score
ok i got the no temp thing. i have a 2003 liberty sport and i got a evic off ebay part number 56010438AC it said its for a 2002 to 2004 liberty. did I buy the wrong one? and if so what one should I get?

Hdale85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I have an OTIS currently, can I just swap in the EVIC with TPMS? And do I need certain TPMS modules to be able to pair it with the EVIC?

Kal-El

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I have an OTIS currently, can I just swap in the EVIC with TPMS? And do I need certain TPMS modules to be able to pair it with the EVIC?

Probably, as far as I know...depends on the year. Also, it would really help if you knew exactly what vehicle your EVIC came out of, then look up the corresponding TPM sensor.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I install EVIC 56042756AJ on 03' Sport KJ (w/ sunroof)?
Do I need to separately buy the outside temp sensor for it to work?

Latest posts

Members online