HOW TO: Install a Frankenlift *Lots of Pictures* COMPLETE!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Cuts install time by half if you do and for the taller lifts you need to seperate the UBJ from the knuckle.

Times two, lot less time and energy spent by taking the UBJ off, sway bars and tie rod ends, those come off in like 4 minutes per side so why fight it. So much easier. Of course I've only done about 14 and helped with others so what do I know;):D:rolleyes:

jinstall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only talk about the OME 2.5" lift and the H&R 1.5" lifts and both of these were fine without taking any of the joints loose. The only real issue was the rear on the OME lift and had to use ****** jack stands to get the rear spring in. Taking our time and waiting for odds and ends and taking several breaks, 4 hrs for the complete lift and shock install and clean up. IDK it was pretty easy for me to do it this way. I think most of you try and take the front out as a whole unit and I seperate it while it is still on the Jeep. The hard part is keeping the strut and spring from falling out as you take the last nut off from the strut bearing.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
airbox

You must be registered for see images attach

How do you remove this little tube? I tried the other day and it wouldn't budge, i didnt want to break it either.

Is there a replacement part for it, whats it called? Hopefully i dont break it but if i did would i have to get it from the dealer or would napa have it?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score

How do you remove this little tube? I tried the other day and it wouldn't budge, i didnt want to break it either.

Is there a replacement part for it, whats it called? Hopefully i dont break it but if i did would i have to get it from the dealer or would napa have it?

you lost me ... there are half a dozen tubes in that shot and the one in hand is already disconnected ;)

if you mean the PCV valve... on the oil filler neck... push in then turn counter clockwise 90 degrees-ish... gently :)

they are cheap, dealer has them, probably Napa.

Last edited:

Scottybones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only talk about the OME 2.5" lift and the H&R 1.5" lifts and both of these were fine without taking any of the joints loose. The only real issue was the rear on the OME lift and had to use ****** jack stands to get the rear spring in. Taking our time and waiting for odds and ends and taking several breaks, 4 hrs for the complete lift and shock install and clean up. IDK it was pretty easy for me to do it this way. I think most of you try and take the front out as a whole unit and I seperate it while it is still on the Jeep. The hard part is keeping the strut and spring from falling out as you take the last nut off from the strut bearing.

100% agree with not removing the UBJ. I did both sides without having issues at all. Just need to jack the LCA up and down as needed to add clearance. I wish I could say it took 4 hours though, lol.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
100% agree with not removing the UBJ. I did both sides without having issues at all. Just need to jack the LCA up and down as needed to add clearance. I wish I could say it took 4 hours though, lol.

Small lifts only, not the bigger ones, trust me done enough to know
Plus for the small amount of time needed to remove the UBJ its so much easier

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a shame Photobucket ruined all these wonderful write-ups. I'll be referring to this thread shortly.....

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It's a shame Photobucket ruined all these wonderful write-ups. I'll be referring to this thread shortly.....

Its all very simple to install alift on a Liberty
one of the simplest vehicles I've lifted in the last 40 plus years except maybe early Broncos F150s etc

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm lucky enough to be able to figure things out on my own but I don't mind skimming through the write-ups. You guys been there done that and could save me some troubles / show me some tips and tricks

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see the heavy duty tow hooks you have under the front of your vehicle. I was thinking of getting the ARB bull bar as well and need to get some tow hooks installed. Do those tow hooks attach to the ARB bumper or do they mounted on the frame some how? And where/how did you mount them?

*a cloud of dust rises as the old man stirs*

They answer is yes and no. The bar had dedicated points for a tow hook bolt to go through.

View from the passenger sice, note triangular protrusions with the clean round holes.

The bar itself was bolted directly to the frame, in a way that allowed very very strong head on impact resistance, and robust pulling strength if needed.

View from the passenger side, inside the winch hole, where bolts to the frame are visible.

EDIT:
Seems I answered this 11 years ago.... wups.
See ya'll in another ten years, cheers!

Last edited:

gmusso

Reaction score
Can anyone show me a picture of the bolt on top the strut assemble for the 927 lift?

I had a shop assemble the struts for me since I don’t own a spring compressor...well they over tightened one and messed up one of the struts.

the one that they didn’t mess up I have and I don’t want to install it yet if they over tightened that one also.

Aceofspades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The piston rod is threaded only to a certain point... did they use a washer under the nut? Pictures ?

Latest posts

Members online