How-To Full Parking Brake Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roberge5

Reaction score
I did a rear end swap on my 2003 Liberty Freedom edition manual ******, the guy cut the e brake line, how difficult is it to put a new line in? Is it something a garage will have to do?

prboy1969

Reaction score
Just did mine today, and figured I should take a boat load of pictures and hopefully help someone out. I have zero knowledge about most vehicle related repairs...however, I do have a willingness to learn...and the wife always gets kind of weary and tells me to be careful haha...but I refuse to be ripped off. haha. So..here is a quick list of tools that I used starting from removing the tire all the way down:

Your KJ's Tool For Removing Lugnuts
A Jack
Jackstands!
1/2in Socket
Standard Needle-nose Pliers (or needle-nose vice grips)
Mini Needle-nose Pliers
Wire Brush
Flat Head Screwdriver (situational)
Parking Brake Multi-tool (optional)
Hammer (situational)

Let's get started!

Loosen the lugs. Jack her up
You must be registered for see images attach

Then toss under some jackstands. (I used two...cuz i'm weird like that)

Pull off the rubber

The caliper has two bolts. This one:

And this one:

Set the Caliper off to the side....no need to tie it up..

Pull off the rotor. (possible hammer use here)

Pull this side of the spring. Here I used the Multi-tool...but the pliers work just fine too...(I only used it because I spent $8 on it..so may as well)

Set it on the ground off to the side...this will start your physical diagram. Looking at the spring now you can see why the right side won't come off.

Grab the bottom spring (from either side..I'm a lefty) Place it in it's spot on your new diagram!

These clips are a real pain. In this picture I forgot to show how I got it off...but it's coming up on the other side! Once you pull off the clip, and the pin thru the back..the adjuster will probably fall, and your shoe will be completely detached as well

Set it down in its spot!

Ok, here is how I got the clips off! I grabbed it like this...pushed in, and then squeezed once it cleared.

U should have a full diagram now!

Set up your new stuff just like it

Now it's time to clean the whole area with a wire brush...and anything else you want to do with it. Now that you've done that...let's put the new stuff on!

Put the shoe in the spot...put the pin thru the back, and line up the clip.

Now the pins that I got in the new pack have a hammerhead shape...so once you get them through, you then have to turn them. I did this by placing my pliers over the hole they come through, pushed in the clip, when it cleared i grabbed and twisted and thats that! Here is what it should look like!

Insert your top spring just like this..and you won't get frustrated I promise!

After that pull the spring over and put it through the other shoe

This part is a little tricky, and requires a bit of strength. with both of your shoes attached at the top by the spring...simply pull the second shoe back and put it in place. Like this

Now since you're locked in up top, the shoe is going to want to kick out on the bottom...to avoid this...pop in the new adjuster on the bottom...just to keep it from doing that...no need to set it now. Now you can put the pin through the back..and throw on the other clip!

Now you should be at this stage! Both shoes on, clips on, and adjuster.

Grab the bottom spring and attach it on there..again..either way.

And thats it!

Here you can see the hammerhead pin.

Mine pretty much needed to be done....

The dealership quoted me $200 in Labor, plus $90 for parts. Instead I went to Autozone, got the shoes for $60, and the hardware for $30 and did it myself. And like I said before...I don't know much...but I just used common sense on this one. Lol. Obviously the other side is exactly the same! Throw the rotor, caliper, and tire back on and you're all set. If you guys have any questions just shoot me a message. Thanks.

Thanks a ton for the write up. Really helps me out. Appreciate it.

Liberty For All

Reaction score
Just did mine today, and figured I should take a boat load of pictures and hopefully help someone out. I have zero knowledge about most vehicle related repairs...however, I do have a willingness to learn...and the wife always gets kind of weary and tells me to be careful haha...but I refuse to be ripped off. haha. So..here is a quick list of tools that I used starting from removing the tire all the way down:

Your KJ's Tool For Removing Lugnuts
A Jack
Jackstands!
1/2in Socket
Standard Needle-nose Pliers (or needle-nose vice grips)
Mini Needle-nose Pliers
Wire Brush
Flat Head Screwdriver (situational)
Parking Brake Multi-tool (optional)
Hammer (situational)

Let's get started!

Loosen the lugs. Jack her up

Then toss under some jackstands. (I used two...cuz i'm weird like that)

Pull off the rubber

The caliper has two bolts. This one:

And this one:

Set the Caliper off to the side....no need to tie it up..

Pull off the rotor. (possible hammer use here)

Pull this side of the spring. Here I used the Multi-tool...but the pliers work just fine too...(I only used it because I spent $8 on it..so may as well)

Set it on the ground off to the side...this will start your physical diagram. Looking at the spring now you can see why the right side won't come off.

Grab the bottom spring (from either side..I'm a lefty) Place it in it's spot on your new diagram!

These clips are a real pain. In this picture I forgot to show how I got it off...but it's coming up on the other side! Once you pull off the clip, and the pin thru the back..the adjuster will probably fall, and your shoe will be completely detached as well

Set it down in its spot!

Ok, here is how I got the clips off! I grabbed it like this...pushed in, and then squeezed once it cleared.

U should have a full diagram now!

Set up your new stuff just like it

Now it's time to clean the whole area with a wire brush...and anything else you want to do with it. Now that you've done that...let's put the new stuff on!

Put the shoe in the spot...put the pin thru the back, and line up the clip.

Now the pins that I got in the new pack have a hammerhead shape...so once you get them through, you then have to turn them. I did this by placing my pliers over the hole they come through, pushed in the clip, when it cleared i grabbed and twisted and thats that! Here is what it should look like!

Insert your top spring just like this..and you won't get frustrated I promise!

After that pull the spring over and put it through the other shoe

This part is a little tricky, and requires a bit of strength. with both of your shoes attached at the top by the spring...simply pull the second shoe back and put it in place. Like this

Now since you're locked in up top, the shoe is going to want to kick out on the bottom...to avoid this...pop in the new adjuster on the bottom...just to keep it from doing that...no need to set it now. Now you can put the pin through the back..and throw on the other clip!

Now you should be at this stage! Both shoes on, clips on, and adjuster.

Grab the bottom spring and attach it on there..again..either way.

And thats it!

Here you can see the hammerhead pin.

Mine pretty much needed to be done....

The dealership quoted me $200 in Labor, plus $90 for parts. Instead I went to Autozone, got the shoes for $60, and the hardware for $30 and did it myself. And like I said before...I don't know much...but I just used common sense on this one. Lol. Obviously the other side is exactly the same! Throw the rotor, caliper, and tire back on and you're all set. If you guys have any questions just shoot me a message. Thanks.
TY, Excellent description of the procedure. Now, in 2023, this Senior on a fixed income will have the confidence to do mine on my 2005. I guess eyeball the adjusting after the install? Spinn the wheel so it does not drag?

Latest posts

Members online