How to do a Clevis Lift in 20 minutes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't used those JBA clevis spacers, but they look like they're made of plastic or PVC. If you want a little more reassurance instead of leaving a gap, then cut a piece of sch 40 PVC pipe to the length you want, cut a slot on one side, score the inside of the opposite side, open it up, and put in place. Then hold it together with a clamp or zip tie. Sure beats having to take everything apart to get conduit washers in there.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't used those JBA clevis spacers, but they look like they're made of plastic or PVC. If you want a little more reassurance instead of leaving a gap, then cut a piece of sch 40 PVC pipe to the length you want, cut a slot on one side, score the inside of the opposite side, open it up, and put in place. Then hold it together with a clamp or zip tie. Sure beats having to take everything apart to get conduit washers in there.
Nah they are metal.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With basically no weight or force on the spacer (with a well tightened clevis), I don't see an issue with using PVC. I'd be willing to bet you could probably balance the weight of the entire Jeep on a slice of PVC.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question: I know we need to use 2" diameter conduit nuts...Are all conduits 1/8" thick? Thinking of throwing these in there at some point just to make sure my measurements are accurate.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Question: I know we need to use 2" diameter conduit nuts...Are all conduits 1/8" thick? Thinking of throwing these in there at some point just to make sure my measurements are accurate.

Yes 1/8 inch thick, 3 are 3/8 inch thick then so 3/4 inch or real lift

bjohnson3827

Reaction score
Any other tricks to move this damn clevis? I loosened the bolt and did the bottle jack trick and the celvis wouldnt move. I can tell its loose as i can see it wiggle but it will not move up or down at all. I also used a large crowbar and 2x4.Any ideas would be much appreciated.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mark the cam bolts for the lower control arms so you know where they were for alignment. Loosen the control arm bolt nuts. Loosen the lower fork mounting bolt. Could also remove the sway bar links to separate the left from the right sides. With everything loose you should be able to get them to slide. After getting them where you want and tightening the shock to fork bolt, reinstall the sway bar links, and tighten the lower fork bolt. Lower the Jeep on the ground. Tighten the control arm nuts with your marks lined up.

Drive around the block a couple times, then loosen the control arm nuts and re-tighten. Do this because the control arm bushings are bonded to the metal sleeve. When you drive around the block the suspension will settle back down, stressing the bushings, so loosening them and re-tightening them will allow them to relax.

After all this, it's best to go get an alignment done asap.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
would NEVER loosen the bolts on the LCA, seen and heard too many driving sideways down the road to alignment shop
No need to do that anyways just to do a simple clevis lift

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get yourself some wiggle room by removing one bolt from sway bar and maybe loosen bottom of clevis but do not mess with the alignment bolts, that's just asking for trouble. Other than the adjustment made tighten everything up with the Jeep back on the ground.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Any other tricks to move this **** clevis? I loosened the bolt and did the bottle jack trick and the celvis wouldnt move. I can tell its loose as i can see it wiggle but it will not move up or down at all. I also used a large crowbar and 2x4.Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Tap it with a hammer a little bit, spray some lube down in there, rusted more than likely
With sway bar link off helps in most cases
Leave more room ( more clevis ) on the left side ) just a bit more not a lot.
No more than 3/8 of an inch
So why are you doing this ? Do you have a lift on now ?

There fixed that one word

bjohnson3827

Reaction score
Yeah... I have 926 on the front that are sagging and need a free face lift before I buy new springs 927 and shocks. It's been impossible for me to move the damn clevis though. I will try it again with some lubes and will try taking off the sway bar end links.

Thanks Tom

bjohnson3827

Reaction score
Well tried the easy method to no avail.

I ended up having to remove the lower ball joint, sway bar end links, and lower clevis bolt before it would actually move. Wasn't to bad doing it that way though would have much rather have done it the easy way lol.

Latest posts

Members online