how to disable DRL??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, well the HID's are in. Work great. For the moment I have been turning my lights on whenever I drive to avoid the "flicker" problem encountered when you supply lower voltage to the ballast. After days of searching and Googlin' I have come up with nothing. I would like to have the option to not have to run the HID's all the time. If anyone knows how to disable the DRL system please let me know.

Cheers!

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HHmm, I went through the owners manual fuse/relay section. They didn't list a DRL relay. Maybe they don't label it so we cant disable it. What number relay is it in yours? Mine is a 07.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also just downloaded a owners manual from jeep.com and did not find a DRL relay or fuse listed in there...

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe find a site that sells drl kits and see if you can find some instructions on how to install drl relay, then reverse? i might be wrong but its an idea. is it required by law you have to have them on?

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its required that they work for a safety check. I want to have it so my marker lights turn on as day time running lights rather then the high beams. A lot of Chevrolet vehicles use the markers as daytime running lights. especially older truck and it works fine. Thanks for the idea! :)

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will probably go with a kit to stop it during the summer. But for right now it would be great to just disable it. I already have a anti-flicker kit installed and it doesn't work. Hey tjkj2002, which relay do you pull to disable it, what is its location number?

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I was able to find the DRL relay. It is in the interior fuse box at the top right. It is not labelled in the manuals but the inside of the cover does say DRL. However removing the DRL relay not only disables DRL but also your high beams.... there is no winning here. But with the HID's I don't really need high beams.

jake1234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the socket to the left of the DRL relay, its empty. That empty socket is for the hi beam relay. KJ's with DRL's have a relay only on the DRL socket and KJ's without DRL's only get the hi beam relay. I believe the other difference between the two is different BCM programming. But you should just put a relay in the hi beam socket with the DRL socket empty and see what happens. You can just borrow a fuel pump relay, wiper (there's 2), starter motor, a/c, ****** control which are in the box under the hood. Or you can pull the door lock or fog light relay behind the interior block which is harder to get to.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will for sure give that a shot! Thanks. I'm headed to the local dodge dealership tomorrow for EVAP issues and a oil change. So I will also ask them about programming the BCM to change how the DRL system operates. I would love to have the fog lights come on as DRL's. But I do plan on putting a HID fog light kit in this summer... Oh well.

Thanks!

lkwoods

Reaction score
I will for sure give that a shot! Thanks. I'm headed to the local dodge dealership tomorrow for EVAP issues and a oil change. So I will also ask them about programming the BCM to change how the DRL system operates.

Thread revival! (deadhorse)

I was wondering if you found anything out about the DRL.
Was there BCM reprogramming to be done?

I'm in the states and trying to get DRL. So I assume if you have to reprogram to get rid of DRL, you'd have to reprogram it to get them.

Last edited:

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thread revival! (deadhorse)

I was wondering if you found anything out about the DRL.
Was there BCM reprogramming to be done?

I'm in the states and trying to get DRL. So I assume if you have to reprogram to get rid of DRL, you'd have to reprogram it to get them.

yes to activate the DRLs you have to first purchase the DRL relay. Install it and remove the regular headlight relay then take it to a dealership and the dealership can change the country of use from US to Canada.

lkwoods

Reaction score
yes to activate the DRLs you have to first purchase the DRL relay. Install it and remove the regular headlight relay then take it to a dealership and the dealership can change the country of use from US to Canada.

Is it just a regular 4 plug relay you can get from Autozone?

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Canada guys so I have drl which personally I don't want them at all. If I pull out the drl fuse I will lose the high beams as well? What if install this drl fuse to the high beam fuse place? Thanks

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just always turn on my lights manually. i always run my lights on all my vehicles. even on my 70 maverick, i just pull the switch and turn them on. i feel its def safer.

Ocelot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never looked on the jeep, but I have my drls disabled on my 04 ram.
I had to have a dealer connect with a DRB III scan tool, before the drl menu would even show up, they had to change the country code to USA. they could then access the menu to turn off the drls.

I'd recommend the danial stern drl relay to turn you turn signals into drls.

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I guess I have to go to the dealer. Do you know how much they would charge to change the code from Canada to USA? Thanks

Ocelot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my case, they charged 35 bucks, I had my rams drls turned off so I could use the high beam wiring cct to enable the relay for my aux high bemas.