how to disable DRL??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any issues after the change the country code? I heard can give problems if you have aftermarket remote starter

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I tried the hid on mine and they work perfect. If you buy the ones are coming with halogen bulb for the hihg beams and hid bulb for the low beams (both are mounted in the same base of 9007) you will be fine. Just add a small resitor between the ballast and the OEM plug and you are good to go. Don't forget to adjust your headlights at the lowest point so you will not blind other drivers. I have the hid for one week now and no one complaint. I asked my friend to drive my car and I was driving another trying to see if the hid are blinding people and I saw that they are fine. I know are illegal for some states and provinces so pay attention to the law.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I tried the hid on mine and they work perfect. If you buy the ones are coming with halogen bulb for the hihg beams and hid bulb for the low beams (both are mounted in the same base of 9007) you will be fine. Just add a small resitor between the ballast and the OEM plug and you are good to go. Don't forget to adjust your headlights at the lowest point so you will not blind other drivers. I have the hid for one week now and no one complaint. I asked my friend to drive my car and I was driving another trying to see if the hid are blinding people and I saw that they are fine. I know are illegal for some states and provinces so pay attention to the law.

Unless you have an OEM HID system, its 100% illegal period. The FMVSS have never changed the law to allow actual aftermarket set ups. Kits claiming to be DOT Legal are not actually. They have to be tested by the SAE before being considered legal.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They claim are legal where I installed them

You can use that claim when you're pulled over all you want but the fact is in A LOT of states there is a crack down on HID's in standard Halogen set ups because there is no legal HID aftermarket system. So you can take the wording on a box that says DOT Legal when in fact you can bet it was never DOT or even SAE tested in the first place or you can do a true retrofit which involves using actual HID projector lenses how its supposed to be done and reduce your chances to 99.9% not catching any flack from an officer who thinks you're driving with your high beams on only to realize you threw in an illegal kit opposed to retrofit, once you're pulled over.

Gave the same type of speech to a guy who tried to shovel ''its legal'' BS in my face when I worked in Auto Service, told me he was going to Ohio. I warned him it was illegal and he would get a ticket. Guess what, Ohio pulled him over and gave him a ticket. Its like Radar Detectors, law allows them to be sold on the Federal Level but states make them illegal to use.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can use that claim when you're pulled over all you want but the fact is in A LOT of states there is a crack down on HID's in standard Halogen set ups because there is no legal HID aftermarket system. So you can take the wording on a box that says DOT Legal when in fact you can bet it was never DOT or even SAE tested in the first place or you can do a true retrofit which involves using actual HID projector lenses how its supposed to be done and reduce your chances to 99.9% not catching any flack from an officer who thinks you're driving with your high beams on only to realize you threw in an illegal kit opposed to retrofit, once you're pulled over.

Gave the same type of speech to a guy who tried to shovel ''its legal'' BS in my face when I worked in Auto Service, told me he was going to Ohio. I warned him it was illegal and he would get a ticket. Guess what, Ohio pulled him over and gave him a ticket. Its like Radar Detectors, law allows them to be sold on the Federal Level but states make them illegal to use.

jimgas is from Montreal. Perhaps the laws are different in Canada? :shrug:

Ocelot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in Manitoba retrofitted HIDs in conventional reflector buckets aren't legal but it's not widely enforced.
It's going to be though.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jimgas is from Montreal. Perhaps the laws are different in Canada? :shrug:

Yes and no, Canada follows the FMVSS standards as well, but have their own differences such as a 15 year import rule where the US is 25, winter tires only in the winter in most Providences, lets see DRL's mandated, the metric system but over all the exact same base federal safety mandates we have for crash and safety standards.

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i asked a friend that his brother is a cop here in Canada and he said he never pulled over someone because his lights are blueish. He pulled over people only to give them a 48h warning if their lights are blinding other drivers. I asked him no ticket at all? He said no, just a 48h warning. You have to fix them 48h after the ticket. I think i have to look into it cause i dont want to be illegal.
I see though 1 out 5 cars here in QC that they have HIDs on halogen reflectors.
Definitely ill find whats going on the with law here. Thanks

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys i just found out that Volvo was making their XC90 with HIDs in halogen reflectors. Is that possible?

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys i just found out that Volvo was making their XC90 with HIDs in halogen reflectors. Is that possible?

Ford/Shelby did it with the previous gen Mustang, putting HID in a halogen reflector bowl. Though the castor shields were heavy covering 3/4ths of the halogen bowl. So more than likely either the Swedes figured out a bowl design or they're going to use similar to FMC/Shelby and go really heavy on the castor shields.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i asked a friend that his brother is a cop here in Canada and he said he never pulled over someone because his lights are blueish. He pulled over people only to give them a 48h warning if their lights are blinding other drivers. I asked him no ticket at all? He said no, just a 48h warning. You have to fix them 48h after the ticket. I think i have to look into it cause i dont want to be illegal.
I see though 1 out 5 cars here in QC that they have HIDs on halogen reflectors.
Definitely ill find whats going on the with law here. Thanks

Blue headlamps used to be illegal, but they're not anymore though they're worthless in bad weather and in the city. They burn too bright on the kelvin scale, fantastic to use in the country side though on a clear night I ran arctic blue on my Focus for 4 months then swapped out because I had to rely on my fogs in the city and in rain otherwise I couldn't see two feet past the hood. Unless you live in the country and the weather is good most year round you'd be fine. If you live in the city don't bother with it, better to use a good solid white so you can physically see the city streets at night.

Latest posts

Members online