HOW TO: Change Transmission Fluid & Filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
The metal shavings, if any btw, stay in the pan(filter/magnet). They don't get sucked up through the ****** when you siphon fluid out the ****** dip stick.

I'd checked the fluid I've pulled out very closely. It's a reddish brown with no metal shavings. None that the naked eye can see anyway.

ATF+4 is a long drain interval oil, so I could of left the old fluid in there t'ill 60-70k miles. But I decided to do the drain/refill to get some fresh fluid in there, boost up the additives.

If it's reddish brown then your current fluid is reddish brown too.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After doing a 14Qt drain/refill? Nope. It's ruby red. I'm gonna have to take a pic of the ****** dip stick then to shut you up:p lol

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't you say you did it in INTERVALS and not all at once?
Yeah intervals. I will admit that the first 2-3 intervals the color was still brownish, but by the 7th interval it was ruby red. Very very close to fresh ATF+4. According to the excel spreadsheet I got, I'm now at 95% fresh fluid. Looks about right. I still have a few Qts of fresh ATF+4 leftover. I'm gonna do the 8th and perhaps 9th interval this weekend. I'll be good t'ill 60K miles when the owners manual calls for a pan drop/filter change.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You did it in intervals, so your fluid is still old.

95% new/recent. I did 5 mile intervals, not 3000 :p

Got some fresh additives in there, color is ruby red. It's not a flush, but close to it. At 1/3 of the price, I'm quite happy. So is the ******. I can definitely feel smoother shifts.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
LOL just drop the damn pan and change all the shit and put new in...screw the pulling out 2-3qts or w/e the hell it is!

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL just drop the damn pan and change all the shit and put new in...screw the pulling out 2-3qts or w/e the hell it is!
1- no lift
2- that's a PITA.

I did a drain/refill using intervals. Now I'm set for another 30k. At 60k, I'll get the ****** serviced at the dealer as per the owner's manual recommendations.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
1- no lift
2- that's a PITA.

I did a drain/refill using intervals. Now I'm set for another 30k. At 60k, I'll get the ****** serviced at the dealer as per the owner's manual recommendations.

1-Ramps and go under the jeep
2- PITA i love them!!

sharpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

lol thats what i say too.. im gonna do just that soon in fact.
its not that bad of a job....messsy tho lol

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dropping the pan only changes out half of the ****** fluid. So your getting 50% new fluid. With my method I'm now at 95% newdrive.gif

sharpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i was thinkin this is my 1 st change so i should change the filters now.

at 60k ill do the flush routine.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Not trolling, just letting you know. Ain't ThunderbirdJunkie's $4,000 transmission or his ride home, so he doesn't care about YOUR KJ either way. He just doesn't want people to take your advice and make the same mistake.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trolling, just letting you know. Ain't ThunderbirdJunkie's $4,000 transmission or his ride home, so he doesn't care about YOUR KJ either way. He just doesn't want people to take your advice and make the same mistake.
It's not a mistake. Dropping the pan or doing a drain/refill like I did accomplish the same thing. Both change out a certain % of fluid. One changes out 50% of the fluid, the other 95%. The only real way to change out 100% of the fluid is by doing flush.

I'd rather do a drain/refill because it's easier and less messy than dropping the pan.

A flush at 60K, 120k, 180k,... though is a good idea.