HOW TO: Change Transmission Fluid & Filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
A flush is the only way to evacuate all of your old fluid and replace with new. Then afterwards, drop the pan and change the filter.

Any other way is half-assed.

denn57

Reaction score
A flush is the only way to evacuate all of your old fluid and replace with new. Then afterwards, drop the pan and change the filter.

Any other way is half-assed.

This is my 1st post here,I just bought an 02 Liberty a few weeks ago.I'm glad you brought up the flush as I've been reading up on the wynn's transmission flush and am considering having it done.
My jeep just turned over 60k and fluid looks good,like it must of been changed at some point but I don't know that. My question is what is the going cost of having this done? And I also want both filters changed too.
Thanks for any info.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So seeing all the banter back and forth about flushing your transmission...is it really even necessary anymore? I only ask, because in the 41TE the owner's manual specs either NO change, or change at 100K miles or something close to that.

I also read in the ATF+4 thread that it is a full syn fluid with a high additive package....which begs the question...wouldn't a drain/filter replace/refill be all that is necessary?

Just curious....I'm interested to see how much "debate" this question will generate...lol.

sharpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
allways a big debate when talkin ****** fliud lol.

the way i look at is this......

most of the wear is gonna occur at the 1 st 30k miles ......

so why not drop the pan and change the filters then??? lol

then, IF YU WANT TO>>do the flush at 60k and change ALL the fluid.

myself i would be perfectly comfortable with JUST a pan drop and filter change per owners manual reccomendations.

its yur jeep yu can do whateva yu want :D

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i agree with you...i think regular filter/fluid changes are all that are needed. 30K may be a bit early, but every 60K would suffice. and again, my only reasoning for that is now most modern vehicles use a full-syn fluid so i don't really think the breakdown is there like it used to be. this is just me thinking out loud though...if someone knows otherwise please chip in.

Boiler

Reaction score
I don't want to get in an argument, but your excel spreadsheet is wrong. I'm not going to get in a debate on whether or not this works, contaminates, whatever, but the % is not calculated right. If you had 14 quarts of water, removed two, added in 2 quarts of orange juice, you'd have 14.3% OJ. Next time when you remove 2 quarts, you're removing 1/7 of the OJ you added last time. As you do this over and over, you get a diminishing return, causing you to take 20 intervals to reach 95%. I got a flush today for $50 plus my atf4, and you've now wasted 4 quarts of oil to get to 95, assuming you don't mind 5% of garbage in there.

By my spreadsheet (that I just made, and understand...) after 7 intervals you've got about 60% new, because every time you take out 2, you're not just taking out the dirty, you're taking out the "clean" as well.

if you want to see my calculation you can, its not exactly pretty, but it factors in the removal of the clean fluid you added last time.

And to boot, none of this addresses how dirty fluid messes up clean fluid, shavings, burned fluid, whatever. It's just not worth the time, cost, or effort.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I don't want to get in an argument, but your excel spreadsheet is wrong. I'm not going to get in a debate on whether or not this works, contaminates, whatever, but the % is not calculated right. If you had 14 quarts of water, removed two, added in 2 quarts of orange juice, you'd have 14.3% OJ. Next time when you remove 2 quarts, you're removing 1/7 of the OJ you added last time. As you do this over and over, you get a diminishing return, causing you to take 20 intervals to reach 95%. I got a flush today for $50 plus my atf4, and you've now wasted 4 quarts of oil to get to 95, assuming you don't mind 5% of garbage in there.

By my spreadsheet (that I just made, and understand...) after 7 intervals you've got about 60% new, because every time you take out 2, you're not just taking out the dirty, you're taking out the "clean" as well.

if you want to see my calculation you can, its not exactly pretty, but it factors in the removal of the clean fluid you added last time.

And to boot, none of this addresses how dirty fluid messes up clean fluid, shavings, burned fluid, whatever. It's just not worth the time, cost, or effort.

AHHH,there is intelligent life up north.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you say so buddy.:rolleyes: But it isn't MY excel spreadsheet. It was provided to me by a retired SOPUS engineer. So...hmmm...engineer or some forum dude...engineer! And 50$ for a flush... lol3.gif

This forum is funnier than watching comedy central (lol) Keep it up boys! Every time I need a good laugh I'll come here:D

Boiler

Reaction score
By the way I changed my filter and fluid 5 days ago and used a lubelocker gasket and torqued as specified, and I haven't leaked a drop. Cleaning of the RTV was quite a PITA this time, so I'm glad I'd bought it before hand.

The Outlaw

Reaction score
how many quarts do i need to buy for a pan drop and filter change? whats a lubelocker gasket would advanced auto have them?