HOW TO: Change Transfer Case Position Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huge thanks to Downtown for the walkthrough, and to ptsb5a for finding the best price for us. I too was told by my local dealership it would be $80 for the switch, and two hours of shop labor to "adjust" it after it was installed.

dugkim

Reaction score
Engage/Disengage

Does the sensor have anything to do with the extent of engagement or disengagement of the 2H/4H system. the light problem started simultaneously with a whining sound that although it drives like its in 2H, sounds like it hasnt fully disengaged. thoughts? suggestions?

pmarcotulli

Reaction score
hey, i have this problem, but according to the part number the sensor si a 5-position one. I have a 2006 kj renegade without full-time transfer, so im wondering if the same sensor works with this

alphred

Reaction score
Hello,
I have try to do it today.
I have a liberty crd 2005 (TRANSFER CASE: NV242 SELEC-TRAC)

When i try to reach the positon switch, it was not at the same place of the picture on this post. It's like 1/2 under the floor. I have no place for the 1 1/2boxe.
My jeep was parked in a slope, can it change the angle to reach the switch?

Thanks

redpoint5

Reaction score
I just changed out my T-case position sensor. The part was $64 shipped from MoparOnlineParts.com

It was very easy to change out from underneath the vehicle. The Jeep was already on stands because I changed brake rotors/pads, so I figured it was a good time to swap out the sensor. It took 1min to remove the sensor once I figured out where it was. Putting the new one back in took 10min because it was difficult to line the threads up just right without being able to see it. I found that placing the T-case in 4Lo made installation easier since it depressed the switch the least. It was difficult to thread the sensor in when the button was depressed and resisting my effort to install.

A vice grip was all I used.
You must be registered for see images attach

Location of sensor.

Reuse the O-ring.

The old sensor was flaky and often went open (no resistance) throughout the range of motion. Here are the resistance values it had:

2WD-------------------------1183 (very inconsistent)
4WD PART TIME --------------684
NEUTRAL(Full Time,242)--------410
NEUTRAL----------------------220
4WD LOW ---------------------open (malfunctioning)

The new sensor had the following resistance values with no fluctuation:

2WD-------------------------1182
4WD PART TIME --------------684
NEUTRAL(Full Time,242)--------410
NEUTRAL----------------------210
4WD LOW ---------------------60

The post by tjkj was extremely useful for troubleshooting my old sensor, so I'm hyping it below.

OPERATING MODE----SENSOR RESISTANCE (ohms)

2WD-------------------------1124-1243
4WD PART TIME --------------650-719
NEUTRAL(Full Time,242)--------389-431
NEUTRAL----------------------199-221
4WD LOW ---------------------57-64

vettenuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did my daughter's today as well. Did it from underneath with the car on ramps. Hardest part was getting the electrical plug off, sensor came right out.

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10 minutes under the Jeep. Piece of cake. Thanks for the How To!

Rennagade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this same issue. It started happening when I had my transmission replaced (at about 80,000 miles). I thought they just installed it incorrectly. It always bugged me. Not sure I want to spend $100 to remedy it. I have almost 130,000 on her now. She's still young.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do I replace the front end pinion seal 2002 liberty?

Better to start a new thread in the "KJ General Section" as more people will see it.

Welcome to the forum joanne.

Dave

The_Jeff

Reaction score
This is great. My part time light has been on for 2+ years. Was in the cold and snow in 4Hi and it has stayed on since. This looks to be an easy fix after all. Time to track down the part!

Thanks!!!!

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the How-To... very helpful. Was NO WAY IN HECK that I could change it from the underside. That light has been irritating me for weeks now, but I cheaped out and decided to try and just clean my old sensor before replacing it. Used brake cleaner, then WD-40, then brake cleaner again. Switch has been working for the last 50 miles no problem.

92fox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went through a nice water hole that turned out to have a foot of goo invisibile beneath this evening, almost got stuck but floored it and got out. When time came to leave that particular part of the trail, I decided to go around the hole and in doing so rubbed a tree down the side of the Jeep (my Jeep has turned from an above-average shape 2007 to one with trail-pinstripes and many dents in just 6 months of ownership...I love this thing) and ran over a sapling. Either between the drivers side of my Jeep being submerged (two feet total of water/muck) very briefly or running over the sapling, I messed up this switch (when in 2WD "Part Time" shows, when in 4-Hi nothing shows, and didn't try neutral of 4-Lo yet). I'm either going to pull one from a junker or disconnect it...definitely not paying $50+ to make a pointless light on the dash turn off.

But all the same, thanks for the write-up on this with pictures ;)

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went through a nice water hole that turned out to have a foot of goo invisibile beneath this evening, almost got stuck but floored it and got out. When time came to leave that particular part of the trail, I decided to go around the hole and in doing so rubbed a tree down the side of the Jeep (my Jeep has turned from an above-average shape 2007 to one with trail-pinstripes and many dents in just 6 months of ownership...I love this thing) and ran over a sapling. Either between the drivers side of my Jeep being submerged (two feet total of water/muck) very briefly or running over the sapling, I messed up this switch (when in 2WD "Part Time" shows, when in 4-Hi nothing shows, and didn't try neutral of 4-Lo yet). I'm either going to pull one from a junker or disconnect it...definitely not paying $50+ to make a pointless light on the dash turn off.

I don't think it's good to drive with it disconnected, could be wrong but Im sure it interacts with the computer somehow.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think it's good to drive with it disconnected, could be wrong but Im sure it interacts with the computer somehow.

It actually does. In low range, it sends a signal to the ecm to change the timing and fuel trims to increase low end torque.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You'll also get 1 or 2 CELs like I have. I'm actually going to replace mine ASAP.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.