HOW TO: Change Transfer Case Position Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Downtown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed out the switch earlier today in about 40 minutes. The old one was binding and making a scratching noise when I pushed the plunger. The new one was smooth as butter. Glad I was able to fix it so easily.

Thanks for the "How To" on this!

I'm glad I could help!! :D

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread is what brought me here. I am in the process of doing this repair to my wife's Jeep. I have been calling dealerships to get the part and the only one to return my call said there isnt a t-case position sensor on her '05. I will call later with the part number!

great write up btw!

Last edited:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, does anyone have a source on this sensor? I've searched the forums (lostkjs's etc) and I'm getting some noise that it's a $60part, but my dealer has it marked at $98.00. (see the original message here pricing it at $72)

Anyone else source one of these out for less? If so, where'd you get it? I can't find one for sale anywhere on the web, including RockAuto etc.

Last edited:

mrwrench

Reaction score
I just changed the switch myself from under the car in about 20 minutes.
Used all the same tools mentioned by downtown the wrench was 10 1/2 inches long, I was able to place the whole socket and wrench assembled together over the switch accessing it from the rear and I had enough room to tighten and loosen the switch by placing the handle facing the passengers door and moving it to the rear of the vehicle.
The symptoms were part time light on in 2h, light would go of in 4h and 4 low would illuminate in Neutral.
I asked the service advisor at dealership how much it would cost to replace the switch he said: "Oh you don't want to go throwing switches in there with out knowing what’s wrong, it might need reprogramming or something else....bla bla bla"
The switch cost me $71.7 part number 5083138aa for 2004 Liberty.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed the switch myself from under the car in about 20 minutes.
Used all the same tools mentioned by downtown the wrench was 10 1/2 inches long, I was able to place the whole socket and wrench assembled together over the switch accessing it from the rear and I had enough room to tighten and loosen the switch by placing the handle facing the passengers door and moving it to the rear of the vehicle.
The symptoms were part time light on in 2h, light would go of in 4h and 4 low would illuminate in Neutral.
I asked the service advisor at dealership how much it would cost to replace the switch he said: "Oh you don't want to go throwing switches in there with out knowing what’s wrong, it might need reprogramming or something else....bla bla bla"
The switch cost me $71.7 part number 5083138aa for 2004 Liberty.

Frickin' dealers. They're either demanding you do more work than necessary, or shrugging of work that really needs to be done.

When I called my dealer for the part, he first tried to tell me there was no such thing as a 'transfer case position switch' and tried to convince me I was thinking of a camshaft position switch.

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frickin' dealers.
When I called my dealer for the part, he first tried to tell me there was no such thing as a 'transfer case position switch' and tried to convince me I was thinking of a camshaft position switch.

this same thing happened to me. I called three different dealers before I found a good parts/service employee who showed me what I needed. same part number and price as originally posted here.

ashamed to say I still havent got around to installing it. :eek:

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try http://www.moparonlineparts.com/ , search 5083 138AA, comes up with the switch for a whopping $49.45. I've ordered parts from than before and service was stellar. Took exactly one week to get a box of bushings n stuff through customs and to my door.

Wonder what type of fancy programming is required to use the 5 position switch with the NV241 t-case seeing as it's only got 4 postions. 2hi-4hi-N-4lo while the NV242 has 2hi-4hi ft-4hi pt-N-4lo. Both the Select trac and Command Trac use the same part # switch.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did that search and no part comes up. Now I'm browsing freely through the catalog. Still can't find it.

Edit: Tricky catalog. Can't search under "jeep liberty"... apparently you have to search by part number first and then specify jeep. I was first selecting '04 Jeep Liberty and then searching by part number there. They need to work on that.

Anywho, I got it. $49.00.

Probably should order two of those little failure prone buggers.

Last edited:

scld1354

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi. Im new to Jeeps, so please excuse the stupid question, but... Will the part for the 2004 Liberty (5083138aa) fit a 2006 Liberty with the NP231?

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i planned to change this out this weekend (dont hate one me, ive had the part for a while but tooooo busy to install.)

my wife calls me and said did you fix the jeep....cuz the light is off.

majic?!

onseytote

Reaction score
Frickin' dealers. They're either demanding you do more work than necessary, or shrugging of work that transfer cases really needs to be done.

That's what the dealers always do, I never got much help from all the dealers I dealt with. They always end up pointing towards something else instead of finding a solution.

Last edited:

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this part for sale since i didnt need it. For some reason I cant post in the FS section.

samboson

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. My sensor is on the fritz right now. Dealer said nothing is wrong with it despite me arguing. Ordered part from different dealership, and thanks to this thread im going to install it myself probably late next week. thanks again!

luvmyliberty

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the part I need for my 06. The other night I was backing out my driveway, moved to drive, and I think I engaged into PT. It just came straight back, and then started rolling backwards on a snow covered road. :) Fun! I came to a stop, moved to reverse, and then put back in drive. I still went in reverse. My husband removed something on the transfer case, and I can drive, but doesn't help me much in the winter. I've been stuck home for three days because I can't get out of our driveway and up the hill. Hubby's been working killer OT on second shift so he can't research. I can only find the whole transfer case for sale. Can anyone verify if this s what I need? Do I really need to replace the whole transfer case?

buckbagger

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input.... Im just not sure how it should feel if its in part time compared to when its in two high I have had 4x4 before but never anything that has part time. I can feel when its in 4high and 4 low from the pull when turning, whats the best way to tell if its really in 2high or part time? Thanks

Also
Its a manual so im not sure if it makes it louder because of the boot around the shifter compared to a auto

Last edited: