HOW TO: Change Transfer Case Position Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine is lighting up any lites on the dash at all when the shift is moved into any position. Just bought the vehilce used and was curious the best way to verify the transfercase is engaging. Any ideas?

Kind of crude and simple...find a muddy field, unpaved or gravel road (the mud part should be easy with all the rain we've been having...), put the Libby in Part Time or Full Time 4WD - depending on the transfer case you have - and see if all 4 wheels spin when the handle is up and you give the throttle some juice.

DO NOT put your Jeep in Part Time 4WD on a dry road and drive around as you'll put too much stress on the drivetrain and there's the potential to do some serious damage. If you have Full Time 4WD (the SelecTrac transfer case) you can put it in Full Time anywhere and anytime to test it out.

In most cases you can "feel" when all four wheels are engaged - you just have a sense that there is additional drivetrain movement and you may hear a slightly different sound to your Jeep.

BTW, if no lights are coming on in your dash then your sensor is most likely bad. Follow the tips from RockyMountain on removing your console and replacing the sensor and life will be much easier on you. :killit:

Let us know how it goes...

Bob

Scottm2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went wheeling this weekend and this is one of the problems that arose at the end of the day. I will try to work on it today, or at least check it out.

Reaction score
New member and a thread that answers my question perfectly.

Have a 04 w/ 62k on the clock. Symptoms of the sensor malfunction just started. Was anticipating having to drop the transfer case but from the top sounds more agreeable.

Shame the part is so pricey.

Thanks to the OP and all those contributing.

colorado76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont know what everybody is doing to get that switch in and out. you dont have to remove the center console go buy a socket and do it from under the jeep it takes less then two minutes if you know what your doing

posted by brother of colorado 76

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont know what everybody is doing to get that switch in and out. you dont have to remove the center console go buy a socket and do it from under the jeep it takes less then two minutes if you know what your doing

Pics or didn't happen. :)

colorado76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry no photos, my brother just slid under my KJ. In just minutes he handed me the f@*ked up one, and I gave him the new switch with the new o ring. Then I backed my KJ out of his shop, I then tested the shifter out and no more part time light flashing. You should know that he is certified machinic that owns his own shop in Colorado Springs called A+ AUTO. So yes it did happen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeepSR

Reaction score
It isn't all that easy to change it from underneath for those of us with very little experience and fat hands. Especially the fat hands.

I removed the console today and made the switch. It was really easy and took about 30 minutes, but I also cleaned the spaces that I normally can't get to.

Thanks for the thread.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It isn't all that easy to change it from underneath for those of us with very little experience and fat hands. Especially the fat hands.

I removed the console today and made the switch. It was really easy and took about 30 minutes, but I also cleaned the spaces that I normally can't get to.

Thanks for the thread.

Yep good way to get it looking new again. Plus you can say you did it yourself. :Hump:

Downtown

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sorry no photos, my brother just slid under my KJ. In just minutes he handed me the f@*ked up one, and I gave him the new switch with the new o ring. Then I backed my KJ out of his shop, I then tested the shifter out and no more part time light flashing. You should know that he is certified machinic that owns his own shop in Colorado Springs called A+ AUTO. So yes it did happen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow...

You had your brother do it for you and now you know everyone else is doing it wrong?

See - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultracrepidarianism

rockymountain wants pics because, (i assume) like me, he/she wants to know how you got to it from underneath.
That would be helpful!

Downtown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dear T-case experts and dabblers,

Could the alleged "reach up from underneath" solution be due to different T-cases being used on the Libby?

DocHemi

Full Access Member
Reaction score

WOW I guess since I am a certified master technician and i can do it, maybe i should send my clients to A+Auto....LOL

I have big hands, but I can't see how anyone, lift or not can get the required socket up there and be able to do it...beyond me.....learn something new everyday.....of course i'll stick to the tried and true knuckle saving method through the console. :party52:

Downtown

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I goggled A+ auto... and YP'd it too...

Do you have an address for this alleged shop?

JsnLloyd

Reaction score
Pictures and step by step instructions were great. Took console out, Had new switch in and console back in within 30 minutes. Saved about 150.00 by doing it myself.