HOW TO: Change Spark-Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished swapping out the NGK plugs for Autolite Double Platinum plugs(APP5224). Was quite easy to do. Took me about 30 minutes. I took my time.

Here's how I did it:

1-Disconnected the wiring harness that plugs into the air filter tube and then removed it.

2-Moved the coolant tank out of the way. Was quite easy, unscrewed both 10mm nuts, pulled and moved it to the side sort of.

3-Did 1 spark plug at a time as follows:

-Unscrewed nut that holds down the boot, disconnected wiring harness from boot. Pulled boot out.
-Used compressed air to clean out the hole.
-Removed old spark plug.
-Coated the ceramic of the new plug with dielectric grease.
-Put some anti-seize on the threads.
-Installed new spark plug.
-Cleaned the boot real good and reinstalled it. Tightened the nut down and hooked up the wiring harness to it.

4-After I was done with the passenger side, I reinstalled the coolant tank.
5-When I was done with all 6 plugs, I reinstalled the air filter tube and replugged the wiring harness to it.
6-Started her up and she ran nice and smooth. Idled at 600 rpm.

I went for a 15mile drive afterwards. Nice and smooth. eclipsee_gold_cup.g:

rallenm09

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea why I can't pull out the coil pack? I changed the first spark plug on the driver side easily but went on to the next one and I couldn't get the coil to come up. The bolt and plug were disconnected but wouldn't come up. I also tried to get the 3rd one in the back on the driver side and that won't come up either.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
They may just be stuck in place, especially if it's been a long time since they've been out. How hard did you pull?

rallenm09

Reaction score
I pulled pretty hard but I don't know if I had enough leverage as i'm bending over with not much room to get under the hood.

rallenm09

Reaction score
i ended up going out the next day and giving it another try and they finally started to have been getting better gas milage, went from 15-19

thanks for the easy tutorial

Jack_Of_Spades13

Reaction score
Possible spark plug problem

I tried to change my spark plugs yesterday. I did the first one ok, but then I got to the second. It seemed stuck. So I pulled and pulled, nothing. Then I got the breaker bar, pulled and pulled and nothing. Even worse the rubber part came out of the spark plug socket and I couldn't get it out. This prevented me from putting the cold pack(?) back in over it. I went to the auto parts store and asked them for advice, nothing. So I went back home (night at this point) and kept trying to think what I was doing wrong. How come the first spark plug came out but the second wouldn't? Then it hit me...LEFTY is not LOOSEY and RIGHTY is not TIGHTY. I had tightened the spark plug even more! So as soon a the sun rose I was out there. Sure enough I pushed the other way and the plug came loose. But not without a little crunching. I was able to put the new plug in but my question now is....

Will I be able to get this one out by the time they need to be changed again? I didn't put anti-seize on it because I heard you can over-torque a plug that way and that plugs now are supposed to have a special coating over the threads to prevent any seizing.

Thank you to anyone who even read all this. I'm new to joining this forum and I find it very informative.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine the other day. Took less than an hour, I did put the anti seize on, and hand tightened until I met resistance.

Jack_Of_Spades13

Reaction score
I just finished swapping out the NGK plugs for Autolite Double Platinum plugs(APP5224). Was quite easy to do. Took me about 30 minutes. I took my time.

Here's how I did it:

1-Disconnected the wiring harness that plugs into the air filter tube and then removed it.

2-Moved the coolant tank out of the way. Was quite easy, unscrewed both 10mm nuts, pulled and moved it to the side sort of.

3-Did 1 spark plug at a time as follows:

-Unscrewed nut that holds down the boot, disconnected wiring harness from boot. Pulled boot out.
-Used compressed air to clean out the hole.
-Removed old spark plug.
-Coated the ceramic of the new plug with dielectric grease.
-Put some anti-seize on the threads.
-Installed new spark plug.
-Cleaned the boot real good and reinstalled it. Tightened the nut down and hooked up the wiring harness to it.

4-After I was done with the passenger side, I reinstalled the coolant tank.
5-When I was done with all 6 plugs, I reinstalled the air filter tube and replugged the wiring harness to it.
6-Started her up and she ran nice and smooth. Idled at 600 rpm.

I went for a 15mile drive afterwards. Nice and smooth. eclipsee_gold_cup.g:

How do you remove the coolant tank? How do you get those nuts off the bolts that are attached to the firewall. And could you tell me how you did step 5 as well?

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you remove the coolant tank? How do you get those nuts off the bolts that are attached to the firewall. And could you tell me how you did step 5 as well?

It comes off with two bolts on the top , I believe 10mm. I did not take of my air tube so cant help you there.

Robsama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted in this discussion. I've been away from the forum for a bit and over the weekend I changed my plugs. Without the pointers I got from here it would have taken me MUCH longer and I probably wouldn't have been as calm and had as much fun as I did. Next up - installing an EVIC.

Thanks everyone!

hmmrdwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for great tutorial. Was able to get job done easily. Always good to know about the stumbling blocks.

zach540

Reaction score
Thanks for the tutorial, as a first time KJ owner, it greatly assisted me. However, I do have an issue, while disconnecting the wiring harness from the coil pack, I lost 1 of the O-Rings/Gaskets to the connector, does anyone know where I can get more? I found 2 other connectors without them on it, probably won't hurt anything, but they are there for a reason.

Thanks in advance,
Zach

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removing the coolant tank from the firewall and moving it out of the way eliminates the need for any 'wobbly" connectors. Straight shot to the back plug once the tank is out of the way. :)

tritis

Reaction score
Pep boys has the wrong spark plug gap listed for the 2004 jeep liberty 3.7L and tried offering me up 0.035 OR 0.044 to the point I second guessed myself and went out to my car to double check. And yup, 0.040 right there under the hood.