HOW TO: Change Spark-Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oddball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd add, if you've ever had a problem removing spark plug boots- There is a spark plug boot wrench to make the job much easier.

Anyway, next time you change plugs, use di-electric grease on the spark plug terminal. Not only will this protect the plug & boot from water, this will also make it much easier to pull the boots next time you change the plugs.

karter

Reaction score
Hello all ,I'll add my 2 cents worth . Swivels and extensions tend to crack the spark plugs both installing and removing them . 2 -10 mm nuts to remove the radiator tank and you will have a straight shot to the back plug . Also ,if your socket doesn't have the rubber insert to capture the spark plug ,loosen the spark plug , leaving it installed a few threads and use a 6 in. piece of 3/8 fuel line hose to slip over the plug for removal. Do the same for install . Use a very small amount of anti-seize lube on the spark plugs threads ,less is better in this case .

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all ,I'll add my 2 cents worth . Swivels and extensions tend to crack the spark plugs both installing and removing them . 2 -10 mm nuts to remove the radiator tank and you will have a straight shot to the back plug . Also ,if your socket doesn't have the rubber insert to capture the spark plug ,loosen the spark plug , leaving it installed a few threads and use a 6 in. piece of 3/8 fuel line hose to slip over the plug for removal. Do the same for install . Use a very small amount of anti-seize lube on the spark plugs threads ,less is better in this case .

Yeah, they're ceramic so any lateral pressure on the ceramic shaft is, well, potentially dangerous. My opinion you shouldn't be putting a lot of pressure on the plug in the first place (I understand TPI MONTE indicated he hadn't changed his in 7 years... so). Given the rather light torque required for the plugs, if one is careful, you shouldn't have any problem.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd add, if you've ever had a problem removing spark plug boots- There is a spark plug boot wrench to make the job much easier.

Anyway, next time you change plugs, use di-electric grease on the spark plug terminal. Not only will this protect the plug & boot from water, this will also make it much easier to pull the boots next time you change the plugs.

No spark plug boots on the KJ!! :D

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you keep telling yourself that. :rolleyes:

Last tank. Combined city highway, around half and half was 30.8 MPG bubba!

Ive gotten 38.8 MPG on highway trips before. I can keep telling myself that all day long!

Youre the oddball remember!lol3.gif

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Hmm. ThunderbirdJunkie needn't make any modifications to his powertrain for reliability:D

Silly diesels :p

(Of course you know We keed)

Liberty06

Reaction score
I did it! They were gapped waaay out of line as the end was burned down on the igniter.
I used platinums and wow what a diff...

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question about the Autolite APP5224 plugs. The metal ring seal isn't already on the spark plug, its in the box. Each of the 6 plugs I bought are like that. Which way does this ring go on? Here is a pic of what I am talking about :

You must be registered for see images attach

See there is a flat side and a rounded kinda side...:confused:

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
ya when i changed the sparks in mine all of those things where off the plugs

Jomac

Reaction score
You must use a special gapper(plastic or compsite) to gap platnuim plugs our you will destroy them.

Always go by what the emission sticker under your hood says for plug gap.
how will this destroy the plugs using a standard (metal) gapper?