HOW TO: Change Spark-Plugs

Discussion in 'How To' started by JeepJeepster, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Scottybones

Scottybones Full Access Member

So now I have to chime in, lol. The best plugs are usually the ones that came with the car from the factory. That being said, Champions are crap, period. NGK are overpriced. Denso are really good parts. (Toyota almost exclusively uses Denso, enough said). I've been using Autolites lately and have no complaints about these either. But again, whatever came with the car will probably be the best bet. I put Autolite single platinums in and love them so far. Idle smoothed out a lot.

2. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

NGKs are over priced ???? LOL
    Plus you used platinums which you shouldn't have
    Never have had any issues with Champions at all , used them, and NGKs
    Installed NGKs in the 03 when I bought it, they were cheap for the coppers ( and the correct plug for the KJ) I removed a set of junk Plats from it which looked fairly new and no more rough idle when sitting at a light

3. metalmoto

metalmoto Full Access Member

A bent electrode is not a good sign. Unless someone dropped the plug, and installed it with out looking at it first. Was driving my Astro van once, and it stalled on me. When restarted, it barely ran. Had to drive it home with both feet, to keep it from stalling at stop signs and red lights. It just so happens, I was going to change the spark plugs the next day. And I found one plug, with the electrode, bent way off to the side. After replacing all the plugs. It ran fine, and drove it for 5 years. The only thing my mechanic could think of, was that a piece of carbon, came off inside the head, and got pushed into the spark plug. Perhaps that's what happened in your case. Otherwise, when my 02' KJ dropped a valve, I found 3 plugs with bent, smashed electrodes. I guess part of the broken valve, went through into the intake, and got into other cylinders as well.
    The engine was trash, it kept running, but very rough, white smoke out the exhaust.
    NEVER OVERHEAT THESE ENGINES! Or you will be very sorry. I learned a hard lesson!

4. Leeann

Leeann Full Access Member

NGK coppers (what are speced for the Jeep) are like $1 per plug. How is that overpriced??

5. wheeee32

wheeee32 Full Access Member

That's the exact same thing I was thinking.

6. tommudd

tommudd Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Well you know it all counts up very fast. That is 6 bucks everytime, at 30,000 miles. So by the time you've driven 120,000 miles that a whopping 24 bucks !!
    VERY expensive :happy175:

7. Dave

Dave Administrator Administrator Moderator

^^^Lets see, should I get 6 NGK's for the Jeep or go to the doughnut shop for a dozen doughnuts and a cup of coffee.....?.........hmmmmmmm tough one. I think I will get the NGK's for the Jeep. They are cheaper than the doughnuts and won't make me fat......NGK's it is.....and the Jeep will run better too....:happy175:

Dave