How To: Change front driveshaft / change a driveshaft head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got told by stealership I need a new front driveshaft. Quoted $684. I called Vince at APU and got one shipped for $290. I'll be following this "How to" closely and let you know how it works out!

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I change the driveshaft, does the vehicle need to be completely level (on a lift), or can I jack up just the front?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I change the driveshaft, does the vehicle need to be completely level (on a lift), or can I jack up just the front?

Just put the front on jack stands. Be safe with them - block the rear wheels so you can't get the Jeep rocking if you have to get vigorous with a bolt or two.

Curious: Why do you need an entire driveshaft? Did yours get bent or otherwise damaged?

Bob

ephantmon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put the fron on jack stands. Be safe with them - block the rear wheels so you can't get the Jeep rocking if you have to get vigorous with a bolt or two.

Curious: Why do you need an entire driveshaft? Did yours get bent or otherwise damaged?

Bob

Oh yeah, definitely using jack stands. I just wanted to know if I also had to raise the back. When I called about the "rebuild kit", they didn't have any in stock. Plus, to be perfectly lazy about it, the full replacement is already assembled, greased, crimped, etc. I just swap out the old and put in the new.

jkincer

Reaction score
Just wanted to give a huge thanks for this thread! I swapped out the front drive shaft on my 2005 Renegade this morning and used this great tutorial. The only thing I would add to the process is that I removed the center cross member to make it easier to get to the rear bolts. It also gave more room to knock the ends loose from the yoke. Thanks again for the post!

tphitterlude92

Reaction score
random, i tried tightening the bolts down on the t-case side after changing this out and the caps on the part seem to spread out? did i tighten it too tight or not tight enough? the sound is gone and 4x4 works but that makes me nervous.

Sephiroth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i started hearing a clicking noise that turned to be the drive shaft so i took it to the shop and they told me that i needed a new one and they ordered it and installed it... two days latter im driving on the high way and passing another car at about 75mph i hear a noise and soon after the jeep starts filling up with this stinky white smoke pulled over, turned it off and check under it. the boot of the drive shaft gone and smoking grease all over the exhaust pipes and everywhere why the heck did that happened? i took it back to the shop and after they ordered a new one and tried to install it noticed that they had to pull it to much to be able to connect it on both ends and so they said that it was the wrong size. is there such thing of different size of drive shaft for an 03 jeep liberty?

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, there are about 5 or 6 different lengths they used, depending on what transmission/transfer case combo you have

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I crawled underneath my Jeep and found the front driveshaft boot ripped (xfer case end.) I suspect it happened recently, and everything works fine with no funny noises. Should I go ahead and install a replacement CV joint now, or wait until it starts complaining?

EDIT: Part is on order, so I might as well put it in...

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I crawled underneath my Jeep and found the front driveshaft boot ripped (xfer case end.) I suspect it happened recently, and everything works fine with no funny noises. Should I go ahead and install a replacement CV joint now, or wait until it starts complaining?

EDIT: Part is on order, so I might as well put it in...

Yea, you answered your own question. But the post above yours gives a good reason to change it now - prevents grease from being splattered all over everything.

And it's an easy swap besides. Good reason to get under your Jeep and look around :party52:

Bob

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. As I posted, I realized since I drive off-road fairly often, I don't want to get stranded somewhere...

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replaced the front shaft CV. I found all kinds of gritty stuff in there, and the joint had some play in it so I think that boot had been torn for a while. The boot came off in 3 pieces.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replaced the front shaft CV. I found all kinds of gritty stuff in there, and the joint had some play in it so I think that boot had been torn for a while. The boot came off in 3 pieces.

Nice!

Lots of folks don't believe us when we say that that particular CV can cause all kinds of interesting sounds, cause driving shake, etc. But since it turns 100% of the time (even when 4WD is not engaged) it gives off symptoms every time the Jeep is driven.

Enjoy your Liberty off-road with some peace of mind now! :happy107:

Bob

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm in the middle of doing mine right now too and ran into some problems...
I got the driveshaft out, got the cover off the old CV, got the retaining ring out, and that's where I am now...I cannot get the rest of the old joint off the driveshaft! Tried everything I can think of. Any thoughts?

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once you remove the C-clip, it should slide straight off. If your joint was really bad, i.e. rusted on, you might have to tap it with a rubber mallet to get it out. Be careful though, you don't want to mess up the splines on the end of the shaft.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm in the middle of doing mine right now too and ran into some problems...
I got the driveshaft out, got the cover off the old CV, got the retaining ring out, and that's where I am now...I cannot get the rest of the old joint off the driveshaft! Tried everything I can think of. Any thoughts?

You may have to borrow a gear puller from AutoZone or someplace like that. Yours may have some rust in there that's preventing it from coming off. Use anti-seize when you put it back on.

Bob

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have to borrow a gear puller from AutoZone or someplace like that. Yours may have some rust in there that's preventing it from coming off. Use anti-seize when you put it back on.

Bob

Yea I ended up bringing it to a local shop. They were able to get the rest of the old CV off, and assembled the new one on the shaft for me. $20
Went home, put it in, and it seems to be all good now.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. I didn't see the point of putting anti-seize on mine since the whole joint is packed with grease.

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot for the life of me get my front drive shaft out. I was able to remove all the bolts from both sides, but it will not budge when I try to pull it out. I've tapped lightly with a hammer for almost an hour, sprayed it with PB blaster, and was still unable to break it free. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this?

Should I be pulling rearward towards the back of the Jeep, or downward towards the ground? Can I pull from the shaft itself, or should I be gripping the CV head?

All help is appreciated.