How to add power seats?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a set of leather heated power seats out of a 06 KJ to put into my 06. I was looking into wiring them in to get the power and heat functions to work, and I know this topic has been covered in a how-to but I haven't seen it covered with only two wires coming to the seat on the drivers side (green and black for the seat belt) and 5 wires on the passenger side?

Has anyone been successful in wiring them up in this case?

Thanks!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a set of leather heated power seats out of a 06 KJ to put into my 06. I was looking into wiring them in to get the power and heat functions to work, and I know this topic has been covered in a how-to but I haven't seen it covered with only two wires coming to the seat on the drivers side (green and black for the seat belt) and 5 wires on the passenger side?

Has anyone been successful in wiring them up in this case?

Thanks!

Should not be too difficult, download the 2006 KJ Service Manual Here...includes circuit diagrams. Note that the power seats get power from a spare circuit breaker on the Junction Box (BCM):Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the link. It looks like I am just missing the power and ground wires. Now is there power going to the circuit breaker that I would need to add a single wire from the seat to the circuit breaker, and then the actual breaker itself? And then a ground, which I don't see why you couldn't just ground it to the frame of the seat.

I haven't found the harness info for the passenger seat, but I know 2 wires go to the seat belt, and I thought just one went to the airbag bladder.
I have 5 wires, two black, light blue, pink, white/purple.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have to try look up the circuitry when I have some time...I have the 2006 circuit diagrams but do not have a 2006 Jeep to physically look at.

Are you sure you have power seats? Each of the two seats should have three motors mounted underneath.

My circuit diagrams for the 2006 KJ do not have any of the wire colors you mention....you need to check the circuit diagram.

Basically =12 volts come from the self-reseting Circuit breaker No 1 (20 A) on the junction block which gets power via fuse 3 (50 A) in the PDC under the hood and goes to the seat via a Pink/Light Blue wire which goes through connector C313 pin 5 after which it changes color to Red/Light Blue and goes onto the seat switch assembly at pin 5.

Ground from the seat switch assembly comes out of pin 1 as a Black/Oronge wire which finds its way to ground at G301.

The +12 volts and the ground are toggled one way or the other at each of the motors to get the motors to change direction.
Assuming you have motors on the seats..you may have to make up your own wiring using the circuit diagrams to supply +12 volts and ground to the relevant pins on the switches for the left and right seat adjustment switches.

There are mistakes in the circuit diagrams...not unusual...there are two re-setable circuit breakers shown on the Junction block both marked as Number 3 with a spare in between them and the one you want may be a 20 Amp or a 10 Amp depending an where you are looking.

Basically you need to be looking at diagram 8W-63-2 and 8W-63-3 to see where to apply power to the seat switches.

Last edited:

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have to try look up the circuitry when I have some time...I have the 2006 circuit diagrams but do not have a 2006 Jeep to physically look at.

Are you sure you have power seats? Each of the two seats should have three motors mounted underneath.

My circuit diagrams for the 2006 KJ do not have any of the wire colors you mention....you need to check the circuit diagram.

Basically =12 volts come from the self-reseting Circuit breaker No 1 (20 A) on the junction block which gets power via fuse 3 (50 A) in the PDC under the hood and goes to the seat via a Pink/Light Blue wire which goes through connector C313 pin 5 after which it changes color to Red/Light Blue and goes onto the seat switch assembly at pin 5.

Ground from the seat switch assembly comes out of pin 1 as a Black/Oronge wire which finds its way to ground at G301.

The +12 volts and the ground are toggled one way or the other at each of the motors to get the motors to change direction.
Assuming you have motors on the seats..you may have to make up your own wiring using the circuit diagrams to supply +12 volts and ground to the relevant pins on the switches for the left and right seat adjustment switches.

There are mistakes in the circuit diagrams...not unusual...there are two re-setable circuit breakers shown on the Junction block both marked as Number 3 with a spare in between them and the one you want may be a 20 Amp or a 10 Amp depending an where you are looking.

Basically you need to be looking at diagram 8W-63-2 and 8W-63-3 to see where to apply power to the seat switches.

Thanks for the info, but I do not currently have power seats, but will be adding a set (with tracks) I tried looking at the circuit diagram but have not seen anything related to the passenger seat wiring that I have coming up from the carpet.. Also is there power coming into one side of the self resetting circuit breaker? So I could just run a wire to one side and add the breaker? or does it need to go back farther?

Thanks

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, but I do not currently have power seats, but will be adding a set (with tracks) I tried looking at the circuit diagram but have not seen anything related to the passenger seat wiring that I have coming up from the carpet.. Also is there power coming into one side of the self resetting circuit breaker? So I could just run a wire to one side and add the breaker? or does it need to go back farther?

Thanks

There should be power going into the top end of the self resetting circuit diagram...use a meter to check for +12 volts there.

I am supposing that your Jeep does not have the harness built in for the power seats but it should be easy to experiment by running a wire from the circuit breaker to the Switch Seat Passenger/Driver switch and connect it to pin 5 which basically has the +12 volts sitting there at all three of the switches for the motors. At the same time connect a good ground to pin 1 of the Switch assembly which likewise has the ground sitting at all three of the motors. Operating one motor switch in on direction should drive the motor in one direction; flipping the switch the other way around swaps over +12 volts and ground to the motor to get it to reverse.....not rocket science but you will need to make up your own cable harness to connect from the Junction Block circuit breaker to the Seat Switch Assembly and likewise fashion a ground wire to go to the seat.

I think I may look for some powered seats from a breaker's yard to do something similar in my 2002 CRD but this is low in my priorities at the moment.:icon_confused:

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, and this actually was low on my list as well, but I found a full set for $150 with the power tracks (with drivers seat wear) and figured they were worth picking up.

There should be power going into the top end of the self resetting circuit diagram...use a meter to check for +12 volts there.

I am supposing that your Jeep does not have the harness built in for the power seats but it should be easy to experiment by running a wire from the circuit breaker to the Switch Seat Passenger/Driver switch and connect it to pin 5 which basically has the +12 volts sitting there at all three of the switches for the motors. At the same time connect a good ground to pin 1 of the Switch assembly which likewise has the ground sitting at all three of the motors. Operating one motor switch in on direction should drive the motor in one direction; flipping the switch the other way around swaps over +12 volts and ground to the motor to get it to reverse.....not rocket science but you will need to make up your own cable harness to connect from the Junction Block circuit breaker to the Seat Switch Assembly and likewise fashion a ground wire to go to the seat.

I think I may look for some powered seats from a breaker's yard to do something similar in my 2002 CRD but this is low in my priorities at the moment.:icon_confused:

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After looking at the wiring diagram I am still confused about the passenger seat wiring.. I have 5 coming out White/Pink, Red, Light Blue, and 2 Black.

Most say they have 3 wires coming to the seat. I assumed 2 for the seatbelt and 1 for the OCS. Or is it 3 for the OCS and 2 for the seatbelt?

Could anyone with an 05-07 KJ take a quick look at what wiring they have going to the passenger seat?

Thanks!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After looking at the wiring diagram I am still confused about the passenger seat wiring.. I have 5 coming out White/Pink, Red, Light Blue, and 2 Black.

Most say they have 3 wires coming to the seat. I assumed 2 for the seatbelt and 1 for the OCS. Or is it 3 for the OCS and 2 for the seatbelt?

Could anyone with an 05-07 KJ take a quick look at what wiring they have going to the passenger seat?

Thanks!

I cannot see any of those color wires you mention in the 2006 Circuit Diagram.

Maybe you need to download the 2003/2004/2005/2007 circuit diagrams...much too much data for me to have to download on my feeble 3G connection.:icon_wink:

As you say, maybe someone can physically have a look for you on their Jeeps!

I do know that early KJs such as my 2002 did not have a weight sensor for the passenger seat to see if a child was sitting there or not.

Last edited:

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I finally got the seats, and got them bolted in, but now my air bag light stays illuminated. I thought that the 05 and 06 would be the same, but it looks like its not. In my 2006 I have two wires going to the seat belt fastener, where as the 05 does not.. Any ideas?

Looking at the power junction box where the circuit breaker for the power seats would be installed, it looks too difficult to trace the wiring even after looking through the wiring diagrams I see the slot where the circuit breaker would be installed and it does have power as well as a wire feeding out, but I don't know where it would go?

Any reason why I couldn't just run a 16G power wire with a relay and use the remote wire from the stereo as the switched source? This would only allow power to run when the stereo is on. and just ground to the seat?

Thanks!

Last edited:

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the air bag light issue worked out. For anyone working with a 2005-2007 seat, the OCM is VIN matched to the vehicle and must be moved over to the new seat.

On a side note, the seat belt sensor/chimer on a 2006, is not present on a 2005, I no longer get the chime when a passenger is not wearing their seatbelt!

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the air bag light issue worked out. For anyone working with a 2005-2007 seat, the OCM is VIN matched to the vehicle and must be moved over to the new seat.

On a side note, the seat belt sensor/chimer on a 2006, is not present on a 2005, I no longer get the chime when a passenger is not wearing their seatbelt!

Awesome!

Way to stick with it till you got it figured out. Your info here will help out others who want to do the same thing. :patriot:

Bob