how much work will this take?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These pics, if you look closly you can see how he did it, pretty simple.

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357917477418.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357917477418.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 36
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357917504118.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357917504118.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 36
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357917523610.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357917523610.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 33
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357917536901.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357917536901.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 34

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That actually looks pretty sweet in my opinion. I see he replaced the fronts with monroe coilovers it looks like.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These pics, if you look closly you can see how he did it, pretty simple.

That is very simple. I found a stock tj bumper im guna play with first then ill explore other options. Looks like either would mount the same. Just some flat stock and bolts, hopefully ill have some time this weekend to mess around after i replace my hub bearing

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he did a lot of questionable things to his, more than likely why it went through 5-6 owners in less than a year after he dumped it

Ive noticed that there are a few users here and on lost who have been shunned for how they mod their kj's. What questionable things did that inc guy do? Wana make sure i dont stray down that path haha

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ive noticed that there are a few users here and on lost who have been shunned for how they mod their kj's. What questionable things did that inc guy do? Wana make sure i dont stray down that path haha
never really finished it, never had front ( or rear ) sway bars , never handled well
Front bumper you want to mount it strong enough to use it, just not for looks
If you'd see how a ARB mounts you'd know why they are so well liked and stand up to anything

and not so much shunned as some builds have been not done very safely. Sure they maybe alright to haul out and trail ride , but every day street driving no way. Then someone sees how its built, they go the same route and wonder why it handles like crap on the street. Look at troys, well built / driven daily/ and wheeled so overall a great package . Just hate to see folks spend money when it may cost them more down the road

Last edited:

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never really finished it, never had front ( or rear ) sway bars , never handled well
Front bumper you want to mount it strong enough to use it, just not for looks
If you'd see how a ARB mounts you'd know why they are so well liked and stand up to anything

and not so much shunned as some builds have been not done very safely. Sure they maybe alright to haul out and trail ride , but every day street driving no way. Then someone sees how its built, they go the same route and wonder why it handles like crap on the street. Look at troys, well built / driven daily/ and wheeled so overall a great package . Just hate to see folks spend money when it may cost them more down the road

I see. If its strong enough then its fine with me. If i had the cash i would call marlin and get the matrix in heart beat. When i come up with projects i want to do i make sure its in more of a utilitarian styling. It serves its purpose and looks good doing it. Im going to take my time with the stock bumper before i order the one i showed before. I have a few ideas to make it a little longer on the ends and to give it a slight contour instead of a straight peice of steel just bolted on

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that i look at it, it looks like two different springs on top of each other...

Thats how you get your desired overall spring rate / handling / flex etc
You may have for example a 500 lb on the bottom and 450 on top
( random numbers used for example only)

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats how you get your desired overall spring rate / handling / flex etc
You may have for example a 500 lb on the bottom and 450 on top
( random numbers used for example only)

Now what kind of a shock did he use to hold the 2 springs together?

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here what he used for suspension

3. Fox 2.0 Coil Over Shocks = $207 each (2) Fox-980-99-004-A (purchased)

4. QA1 2.5id 10” #450 upper springs = $37 each (2) (purchased)

5. QA1 2.5id 10” #500 lower springs = $37 each (2) (purchased)

6. OME 864 Rear Springs = $75 (purchased)

7. Edelbrock #63914 Xtreme Travel IAS Medium Valving Rear Shocks = $35.95 each (2) (purchased)

Latest posts

Members online