How do you get the chrome looking plastic rivets off the Renegade flares?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Congested

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont like the look of the chrome plastic looking rivets on the Renegade fender flares. How do they come off? I tried prying one off with a small screwdriver and it wouldnt budge.

I want to paint them black.

Thanks

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I believe they are for cosmetics, and they don't come off.... :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
They come off some how since the set that I have in the attic don't have them :(

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a couple of them loose on mine, they were about 1/8" out. I just pushed them back on, it felt like a standard kind of "pop" when i pushed on them, so there may be a little lip they snap over. I am sure that they will come off. try getting in there with a seal pic, but don't do it when they are cold, broken ones would be worse

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe they are for cosmetics, and they don't come off....

But they come loose! Mine are loose and I can't seem to get them back on tight...one of them it worked just spinning it for a while and with a little push, but the others don't seem to work that way. If you want to paint them black...can't you just paint the tops of them, let it dry, spin them around and do the underside? I guess it would depend on how loose, if at all, they are. Just a suggestion.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Can glue them in tight. I use this stuff from the auto stores, it has a bottle with a brush in it, and a tube of glue. This stiff WORKS like a charm! I repaired a wheel on a Rug Scrubber with this (broke from body, glued it back on, is FINE). I fixed the handle on my Dyson vacuum with it, the yellow part you press in to remove the handle; the piece came OFF the handle, button and all. I glued it back on, has been fine. I forget what it is called, but it is a small package with a bottle of liquid that has a brush in it, and a small tube.

You brush the chemical on both surfaces to be bonded. Apply the glue layer to one side, and press together, and let dry. Man this stuff works great! It's an activator, with Methyl-Keytone or something, and the tube us like a super glue. The chemical's BOND the plastic surfaces together.

I used to use Methyl-Ethel Keytone to bond plastics, it actually melts both surfaces together as one. That stuff I bought from the auto store, is almost as good, and works very well.

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can get a set of side cutters behind them, just snip them off, they are just aluminum rivets.

Boiler

Reaction score
Hmm, I was sure that they were some sort of chromed-plastic, snap-in part.

I'm sure there is someone that lives close to this guy that would probably pay him $50 and do all the work in swapping flares with him.

mongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is a old thread but I was missing one on my 02, they are held on by little metal clips. You have to pull the flare to get to the back of the fake rivet to install the tiny metal clip that holds the rivet in place. Hope this helps someone else in the future, I will post a pic when I get done working on her.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Got one or two extra ones
I bought a bunch to do my new renegade flares
Really OLD thread for sure

mongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright after more searching I found that the flare is held on by a hand full of special one way clips. If you want to install or remove the fake rivets which have no structural value at all you have to buy a new set of the special fasteners. I went with using a bit of adhesive instead of pulling the fender flair and breakisng the clips.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Alright after more searching I found that the flare is held on by a hand full of special one way clips. If you want to install or remove the fake rivets which have no structural value at all you have to buy a new set of the special fasteners. I went with using a bit of adhesive instead of pulling the fender flair and breakisng the clips.

Not that hard to pop a flare off , clips are available at parts store etc so not hard to get.