How do I replace a wheel lug?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When changing rotors, I accidentally cross-threaded one of the lugs so now the nut is only sitting about 90% as tight as it should. How do I replace the lug and where would I get one to replace it with?

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
If it's just the lug nut, go buy one in an auto store. Look it up in their book, and buy another one. Some will have OEM lugs, others will not. I have a set for an Avenger, and they had OE replacements at Beacon Auto...

Jair28

Reaction score
If it's just the lug nut, go buy one in an auto store. Look it up in their book, and buy another one. Some will have OEM lugs, others will not. I have a set for an Avenger, and they had OE replacements at Beacon Auto...

Powerslave, I don't think he is talking about the lug NUT, but the lug itself. I believe they are pressed into the rotor, don't know how you would replace one.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, I was referring to the part that looks like a bolt. not the screw part that you take off to remove the wheel. Just wondering if there is any way to remove the one without replacing the whole assembly.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are refering to the wheel stud. The stud is pressed into the hub assembly. If the hub comes off, you can take the whole thing to napa, have them press out the bad stud and stick in a new one for you.

*note I have never looked at the hub assembly on the KJ so I do not know for certain that it is servicable.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay, thanks for your feedback...hopefully someone on here will know if it's possible or not. I know some cars you can just bang them out with a hammer. ut even taking it to napa would be better than replacing the whole thing.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Take your wheel off, brake rotor off, and you should just have the hub assembly left. Take an old wheel lug nut(OLD ACORN STYLE WITH A FLAT SIDE...JUST A NORMAL OLD 70'S STYLE STEEL WHEEL LUG NUT) and spin it on so it's just even with the end of the old stud...this will give you more surface area to strike with the hammer, then take a big f'kin hammer and hammer it in. It should pop out the back side of the wheel hub.

Now take a new stud with a short old style wheel lug, put the stud in thru the back side of the hub, then take the lug nut and spin it on the opposite way, flat side towards the face of the hub, then if you have access to an air gun just tighten the lug on the stud and it will pull the new stud into place, then take the lug nut off and install a new or replacement wheel lug.

Just that simple. Just remember to use one of the old style short lug nuts like on any old steel wheeled chevy or such( as long as it's the same thread pitch as the KJ)

Last edited:

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay, that sounds do-able. the old style lug nut is just so the lug can pass thru as it is tightened?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I do not like beating on my hubs with a hammer.. Maybe thats just me.

I would rent a press and press the stud out..

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
okay, that sounds do-able. the old style lug nut is just so the lug can pass thru as it is tightened?

Exactly...put the flat side out when striking with the hammer to get a larger flat surface, and flat side in when drawing the new stud in.

As far as pounding on the hub, it doesn't take that much pressure to get it out of the hub face. That hub takes much worse punishment than that in normal everyday driving. A couple of good square shots with a 5lb maul and it will back out of there no problem.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need to remove the brake caliper,caliper mount,and rotor if it is a front wheel stud or a rear wheel stud if you have rear disk brakes(minus the caliper mount for the rear),for drums just pull the drum off.Next install the other good lug nuts on the good wheels studs(protection),hammer bad wheel stud out with 3lbs hammer.Put a little grease on the knurled surface of the new stud(not the treads),fish stud into hole from behind the hub flange.Slip a large nut(or washers) over the new stud,screw on a correct lugnut but not one that you are going to use to hold the wheel on.Tighten lugnut until the flange on the wheel stud touches the hub flange,do not over torque or you will stretch the new wheel stud.Remove lugnut and large nut/washers and reinstall the rotor and caliper,then put wheel back on using a new lugnut that was not used to seat the new wheel stud(very important).

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never thought of using a hammer... I guess I'll give this method a 'whack' the next time I cross thread a stud.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, that all sounds pretty do-able. where would i get a lug that fits the new wheel stud that I'm putting in? I have to change brakes soon anyway so I figure I'll just do it all then when it's already apart.

Ken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did this to my 05 Liberty or should I say I watched them do it and my advice is to make sure you get the right Lug it took 3 tries from Advance Auto to get the right one. You do not want to try and pull the wrong stud into the hole so measure the stud they give you and make sure it is right
Ken

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When changing rotors, I accidentally cross-threaded one of the lugs so now the nut is only sitting about 90% as tight as it should. How do I replace the lug and where would I get one to replace it with?

I uhh... never mind. Where I grew up, we called this 'turn harder, not smarter'.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
ok, that all sounds pretty do-able. where would i get a lug that fits the new wheel stud that I'm putting in? I have to change brakes soon anyway so I figure I'll just do it all then when it's already apart.

Napa..Advance..Pep Boys...any Jeep dealer....any auto parts store.

I believe the thread is 1/2"x 20 for the stud.