How can i regear to 4.56?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, title says all. I'm not doing it now anyway.

I know rear diff you can regear to 4.56 but front i need steel diff right? So what parts do i have to buy to get everything done? And ballpark cost for labor?

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you would need the steel front diff housing from JBA, the ring and pinion would need to be cut for a dana 30HP (IIRC), to the best of my knowledge all other parts are the same. IDK what labor would cost total but i know JBA offers assembly of the front diff. luckily swapping the front diff is not as bad as the fsm says, (the shortcut is to cut 2 bolts and install new ones "backwards") which saves you from having to rip the entire front end apart. if you take it to a shop i think they call the front 4 hours of labor (might be 6 i don't remember 100%). the rear axle is much neasier and most axle shops should be able to quote you an exact price for building the axle on the vehicle.

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow so much information all at once. Thank you. I'll ask jba if those gears they sell is already machined and go from there. I probably wont do it till couple months later anyway. Till then, I'll try to come up with an excuse to get those upgrade. My parents have been very concerned about me spending money on my libby lol

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By any chance, anybody here in this forum have 4.56s? Whats it like after the upgrade? Noticeable power change?