How can I make my rear view mirror mount not stick out on the windshield?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
I know you all know what I'm talking about, the white 3M that holds the rear view mirror to the windsheild. I hate the way it sticks out especially when you have a front tint strip and I plan on getting a tint strip here pretty soon and wondered if anyone knew how to get rid of the white?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be glued on and not stuck on with double sided tape.If it's on with tape then the windshield has been replaced,or the original glue failed and they took the cheap route and taped it back on.Take it off and get the mirror glue found at any auto parts store and glue it back on.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea.. what tjkj. :rolleyes:

It should be glued with mirror glue. I never thought double side tape would hold a mirror on. I had a mirror fall once on a car. I used super glue to put it back on :p . The car was a POS and I didn't care about.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my rear view mirror off to get it out of the way when i was doing a lightbar install. I like it without the mirror and might not put it back on. It really clears up your front view.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just for thought... on an old 65 fairlane i used to have the mirror was mounted from a metal hanging bracket that screwed into the main roof metal right between the visors. that would clear the button off the mirror if something like this was done. it was very strong on the fairlane. dont have pics of it.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since flair brought up different ways of attaching the rearview mirror, I thought of my 57 Belvedere.

You must be registered for see images attach

Not that it would work in a Libby; I just think it's kinda cool.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure hes talking about the metal tab that the mirror attaches to. For some reason he thinks thats 3m tape.

Not sure you can do about that since it is metal. Maybe they make black ones???

snowsport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Learn something new every day! I had no idea they even had mirror glue. Cool. Hey, I remember those dashboard mounted mirrors, very trendy at the time. Course, we thought big fins were cool, too...:eek:

I suppose if you completely run out of ideas for attaching a mirror you could just use those head-mounted ones like cyclists use. :D Well, at least you could keep an eye on the kids fighting in the back seat. ;)

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
Well, geeze I'm sorry I caused such a problem, this is my first car. The windshield had been replaced just before I got it. I had no idea it was glued since theres no residue on mine, the white piece that attaches the mirror mount to the windshield is like 1/16" thick so it looked like 3M tape to me. It is just so great to be made felt like you're a complete idiot by people who are supposed to be helping you. Thanks.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
I took my rear view mirror off to get it out of the way when i was doing a lightbar install. I like it without the mirror and might not put it back on. It really clears up your front view.

I'm not sure about you're state but its illegal not to have a rear view mirror here in Arkansas. Just lettin you know you may wanna check you're states regs before leaving it off.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, geeze I'm sorry I caused such a problem, this is my first car. The windshield had been replaced just before I got it. I had no idea it was glued since theres no residue on mine, the white piece that attaches the mirror mount to the windshield is like 1/16" thick so it looked like 3M tape to me. It is just so great to be made felt like you're a complete idiot by people who are supposed to be helping you. Thanks.

Youve got a lot to learn. At 16 its ok to feel like an idiot. :D haha, jk.. :)

Even if that piece of 'white' wasnt there it would still be silver. The mirror mounts to a metal tab which is glued to the wind shield.

jcpryce

Reaction score
I'm not sure about you're state but its illegal not to have a rear view mirror here in Arkansas. Just lettin you know you may wanna check you're states regs before leaving it off.

I believe here the law is that there must be at least 2 rear-ward facing mirrors.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe here the law is that there must be at least 2 rear-ward facing mirrors.

Far as I know. Law Requires vehicles to have a driver side mirror and "I think" rear view mirror.

Most cars didn't have a passanger mirror back in the day.

gmctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not much solution available, butcept use a clear magic-marker to disguise that super-adhesive pad....................

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score

say what?

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just for thought... on an old 65 fairlane i used to have the mirror was mounted from a metal hanging bracket that screwed into the main roof metal right between the visors. that would clear the button off the mirror if something like this was done. it was very strong on the fairlane. dont have pics of it.

So strong, it was impaling passengers in car accidents. I am sure that is why they changed. Those old cars were full of things that would hurt in car accidents. Fixed mirrors, non-padded dashes, pointy dash knobs, non-collapsing steering columns, etc. And no one was belted in anyway.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So strong, it was impaling passengers in car accidents. I am sure that is why they changed. Those old cars were full of things that would hurt in car accidents. Fixed mirrors, non-padded dashes, pointy dash knobs, non-collapsing steering columns, etc. And no one was belted in anyway.

yeah it would cut you up if you hit it in a wreck for sure. i always imagine wrecking my truck and hitting that steering wheel with my face. i bet it would cave my head in.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You didn't cause a problem, you started a debate. Not a bad thing. Did you get flamed? I didn't see it. If someone calls you stupid or a moron, that's a flame. Obviously you know what 3m tape looks like and you had a legitimate question. And you got help. Sometimes the printed word is harsher than a spoken word, especially if it is a guy typing it. No speech inflection or facial expressions to help with the message.

My post about fixed mirrors and sharp objects in old car interiors seems harsh too, but I didn't really think so until I posted it. It wasn't meant to be. And I am not editing it because I don't know any flowery or sugary words. lol

Oh and this will help you when you pick out your tint. http://www.tintlaws.com/laws/AR/ Maryland does not allow a windshield strip and requires 35% tint. I see that Arkansas will let you run a 5" windshield strip and 25% tint which is darker. (Allows 25% of the light.)

Most instructors will say "No such thing as a stupid question". It took me a long time to understand that...