Homemade Cross Rails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
The custom thing with the "U" bolts, ok, so how about some cool BOLT COVERS then? Cut off the threads, and put some nice covers over them. I think that would satisfy the wife too.

Let me know if you find any! That is all I need to finish off my homemade aluminum rails. (Yes aluminum only need to carry my 45lb canoe :))

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Pep Boys has a variety of Bolt CAPS, they range from 12mm to WAY UP to almost 1.5" round! Maybe some freeze plugs? Pound them on? How big are the bolts, like 9/16"? That's like 15mm right?

Geep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the chain link fence part one xc204 did is nice. I plan on doing that one

Geep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like someone said that they didn't have to bend the pipe. Look in the fabrication section for my thread. There's a link to get the t's. You could probably find an HVAC guy or something to bend the pipe. Maybe a muffler shop?

G36 Shooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used fence top rail tube for mine

Attachments

• 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 48
  • 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 40

Geep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be working on this right now but I'm in the process of working on a trailer.

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone run a Reny basket on top without the light bar? Daveys has one for sale I thought of having my buddy snag it for me when he goes up there.

Or Id probably just make some rails....

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone run a Reny basket on top without the light bar? Daveys has one for sale I thought of having my buddy snag it for me when he goes up there.

Or Id probably just make some rails....

You don't need cross rails to attach the factory Renegade basket to your Liberty. It has clips on the side that attach to the existing front-to-back roof rails.

If you want to add cross rails AND use the Renegade basket you'll need to modify the basket. There is no accommodation for cross rails on it - frankly I found mine to be a waste of space - plus it's capacity is less than the Libby's stock roof rails (65lbs vs 100lbs.)

If you really want a roof rack get something like what Tom Mudd or tjkj2002 use. I think those are from Rock Lizard.

My 2 cents...

Bob

j-rod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would do one or the other obviously.

didnt know about the low load rating.....that makes the desision to buy it easier. not buying. LOL