Hill Descent Control--a no-brainer or brainless?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeeptarian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the past few years I've used this feature in moderately rough downhill offroading with a couple of Liberty KKs (other than the new KK I bought earlier this year). For me it's a great way (better I think than most if not all humans can do) to control speed and up-and-down bumping which can easily crunch expensive underbody components, even if protected by the skidplates I have on my new KK.

How do you people feel about the Hill D. Control?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the past few years I've used this feature in moderately rough downhill offroading with a couple of Liberty KKs (other than the new KK I bought earlier this year). For me it's a great way (better I think than most if not all humans can do) to control speed and up-and-down bumping which can easily crunch expensive underbody components, even if protected by the skidplates I have on my new KK.

How do you people feel about the Hill D. Control?

Personally, I use 4LO and a VERY steady foot on the break, gas. The torque allows me to power up rough hills as slowly as I need (the thing practically crawls up them with no gas). On the way down, the crawl ratio helps hold me back from plummeting down the hill at speed. Since I have a KJ, I don't have that feature, but there are easy ways to go up and down hill off-road without it. Generally I don't like electronic crap getting in my way.

Wulfhound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dig mine I use it when going down long steep hils so my leg don't get tired or cramping

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't have and don't want it,eats up your brakes like traction control and all that junk.

I geared correctly(5.13's in diffs,4.3:1 low in t-case) so now I have to give my Jeep gas going downhill.Anyone that has been behind me in MOAB or at '12's ESC can attest that it ***** being behind me as I slow down going downhill.

Jeeptarian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see how an expert someone with a cool aftermarket setup might not want HDC, but as a Plug 'N Play factory device for the engaged, reasonably schooled, careful amateur offroader, I think it's a great feature!

As to HDC somewhat eating up brakes, I kind of put that into the same category as fuel economy---i.e., "I'm a choosin to Pay To Play!"

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My LR3 has it and I use it when I take it off road. But getting back into the KJ I never wish to have it in the KJ. It works but I honestly don't care either way.

Jeeptarian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly never had that problem, but I do check my brakes and other systems/hardware after getting off trail. I'm not any sort of heavy-duty trail guy with any 4-wheeled vehicle. I didn't go on hard-core trails with a vehicle I could not drag around by hand (the way I and my riding buddies could move our dirt bikes). If KK brakes somehow were to get so overheated as to affect on-road braking (and again, they never have for me), I'd certainly find that out in post-trail check, and would wait for them to cool off. I'm not racing, I'm not in that much of a hurry.

Last edited: