Help with lift options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iiTempesT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys ive been active a little bit here and I kinda like it. So im planning on lifting my Jeep over the summer so I can have time to save up. I broke down and im going to buy the JBA adjust-a-struts for the front. I really don't want a tall lift maybe like 2.5-3 inch. So what should I run for the rear for springs, shocks and bump stops. I was thinking possibly the JBA rear 2.5 springs with an upper iso with OME 132L shocks but you guys let me know on what I could do. Thanks!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Alright guys ive been active a little bit here and I kinda like it. So im planning on lifting my Jeep over the summer so I can have time to save up. I broke down and im going to buy the JBA adjust-a-struts for the front. I really don't want a tall lift maybe like 2.5-3 inch. So what should I run for the rear for springs, shocks and bump stops. I was thinking possibly the JBA rear 2.5 springs with an upper iso with OME 132L shocks but you guys let me know on what I could do. Thanks!

Either OME or the JBA rears will give you the same in the 2.5-3 inch range, just depends on which way you want to go
Bumpstops , just two hockey pucks per side , cheap and easy / work great

iiTempesT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, thanks for the input Tom. This lift will be the one I get, as though I seem to want something different every week :shrug:. For wheels and tires I changed my mind for like the twentieth time, I decided to go with 16x7 U.S Wheel Stealth Crawler (Basically a Cragar Soft 8 but is matte black instead of gloss) with 4 inches of backspacing with 245/75r16s.

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider when going to steel wheels is the weight of the wheel. I'm still on stock wheels so I can't verify, but have heard several others claim a 2-3 mpg decrease after going to steel wheels. In other words, going with heavier tires and wheels will definitely be noticeable when accelerating or going up hill.

The unfortunate part of that is it's very difficult to find an aluminum 16x7 wheel. I haven't been able to find anything, not sure why. If you just want black wheels, consider painting/powdercoating/plasti-dipping your stock wheels. If backspacing is another issue, consider wheel spacers. There's a big debate about whether wheel spacers are bad or not. I've "heard" of plenty of failures, but have only been able to actually read about a few. The popular theme seems to be if you run them, you have to constantly check the torque on each nut.

iiTempesT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider when going to steel wheels is the weight of the wheel. I'm still on stock wheels so I can't verify, but have heard several others claim a 2-3 mpg decrease after going to steel wheels. In other words, going with heavier tires and wheels will definitely be noticeable when accelerating or going up hill.

The unfortunate part of that is it's very difficult to find an aluminum 16x7 wheel. I haven't been able to find anything, not sure why. If you just want black wheels, consider painting/powdercoating/plasti-dipping your stock wheels. If backspacing is another issue, consider wheel spacers. There's a big debate about whether wheel spacers are bad or not. I've "heard" of plenty of failures, but have only been able to actually read about a few. The popular theme seems to be if you run them, you have to constantly check the torque on each nut.

I would consider running stock wheels but there getting really corroded and it would take some time to actually get them bondod and then I'd have to repaint Jeep black of course to go with my red Jeep. Seeing as though I'm still a student and having only a part time job I want to try and find a cheap route. So steep wheels are pretty much in that range, or I could get moabs. Quadratec makes a miab style wheel for $120 a piece and you can get them in black. I don't really want to buy used wheels, though a guy I work with has a Jeep JK with moab style wheels and he said he sell them to me if he ever got new wheels. I don't think that will happen though :happy175:. So should I just spend the extra money and go for the "replica" moabs?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I would consider running stock wheels but there getting really corroded and it would take some time to actually get them bondod and then I'd have to repaint Jeep black of course to go with my red Jeep. Seeing as though I'm still a student and having only a part time job I want to try and find a cheap route. So steep wheels are pretty much in that range, or I could get moabs. Quadratec makes a miab style wheel for $120 a piece and you can get them in black. I don't really want to buy used wheels, though a guy I work with has a Jeep JK with moab style wheels and he said he sell them to me if he ever got new wheels. I don't think that will happen though :happy175:. So should I just spend the extra money and go for the "replica" moabs?

The aftermarket knockoff Moabs are cast not forged like original Moabs
If you want to go with the knockoffs I have a brand new one sitting here ready to go for 60 bucks , picked up or meet me

iiTempesT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The aftermarket knockoff Moabs are cast not forged like original Moabs
If you want to go with the knockoffs I have a brand new one sitting here ready to go for 60 bucks , picked up or meet me

They carry the ones you can get directly from Mopar and they say that they are also cast? But I am going to take Tom's word, I guess I can always wait and try and find a good deal on real moabs and just get them powder coated black.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
They carry the ones you can get directly from Mopar and they say that they are also cast? But I am going to take Tom's word, I guess I can always wait and try and find a good deal on real moabs and just get them powder coated black.

Who carries the ones you can get from MOPAR?

iiTempesT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may also be able to get moabs through work seeing as though I work at a car dealership :shrug:

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bondo on wheels??

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plasti Dip. $25 and you'll buy some time until you can afford new wheels.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f222/profdlps-2007-liberty-project-54355/index5.html#post634387

2 cans (about $10) did all 5 of my wheels. 1 dust coat, followed by 4 heavy heavy coats. Been through a dozen or so car washes, mud, heavy rains, heavy snows with tons of road salt and mag chloride, and they are holding up just fine. Starting to grey out a little, but still look good to me! Good thing about Plastidip is that if it starts to fade you can just hit with another coat and you're good to go!

Kinda surprised by how many compliments I get since I've done it...

iiTempesT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Am going to plastidip all of my badges and everything. So I could pick up like 2-3 cans of it. I would have to get my wheels sand blasted because they are all corroded pretty badly and on a couple of them the paint is actually peeling off too so I don't want to spend the money on getting them stripped and painting them again, when in turn they will just get taken off and prolly scrapped

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
One nice thing about the Plasti Dip is that it is thick enough to cover a multitude of imperfections. I did very little prep (a car wash the day before) and it turned out nice. Like tlrtucker, I have received a lot of compliments in the six months since I did it. :party52:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One nice thing about the Plasti Dip is that it is thick enough to cover a multitude of imperfections. I did very little prep (a car wash the day before) and it turned out nice. Like tlrtucker, I have received a lot of compliments in the six months since I did it. :party52:

And you look good in it too! :happy175:

You must be registered for see images

iiTempesT

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Or I can just run my stock wheels until I lift my Jeep and get moabs and then I could plastidip those. I mean I am planning on getting a lift in the summer so

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or I can just run my stock wheels until I lift my Jeep and get moabs and then I could plastidip those. I mean I am planning on getting a lift in the summer so

Not sure what answer you're looking for. Seems like you just want us to all tell you to go get some Moabs.....

Latest posts

Members online