Help with adding front coutesy lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clapperc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled each fuse in the dash fuse-box so to identify which fuse was for the overhead courtesy lights; So I could tap and wire-in new floor courtesy lights. No fuse turned out the overhead lights! So... Anyone know where this fuse is located? Or help with the wiring diagram?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
What year KJ??? do you have?
2007 KJ ok well..
There should be a puddle light wire taped on the steering column left side, by black tape with a small little connector on it. Remove kick panel just below steering column to find it and look up with a bunch of other wires.
You can tie a few LED lights into that no problem. Just disconnect the battery as there is some residual power in wire.
One Dealer light bulb for puddle light was 8 watts. One group of 3 LED is about .75 of a watt.
Here you can see I used an amber 3 led on each side from bluewater...(dont see the 3 led listed now) http://www.bluewaterled.com/catalogdetails.php?id=26
37829[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• FloorMatsLEDs.jpg
    FloorMatsLEDs.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

clapperc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks folks! I have a 2007 Sport. I'll take this information and use it to work on the Liberty tomorrow. I do have a free connector below the steering-column behind the dash cover. It is hot... So I tested it, but it did not go-out with the dome lights. Wrong connector/wires do you think? Did I do something wrong? Thanks again, Crist

If you like pictures... Here is my Jeep-Fleet (minus the 1990 Grand Wagoneer; It's in the paint-shop):

What year KJ??? do you have?
2007 KJ ok well..
There should be a puddle light wire taped on the steering column left side, by black tape with a small little connector on it. Remove kick panel just below steering column to find it and look up with a bunch of other wires.
You can tie a few LED lights into that no problem. Just disconnect the battery as there is some residual power in wire.
One Dealer light bulb for puddle light was 8 watts. One group of 3 LED is about .75 of a watt.
Here you can see I used an amber 3 led on each side from bluewater...(dont see the 3 led listed now) http://www.bluewaterled.com/catalogdetails.php?id=26
37836[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• FloorMatsLEDs.jpg
    FloorMatsLEDs.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 0

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Oh.
My.
God.

That's a lot of dang Jeeps! Are they ALL yours or does the wife DD the SRT8? ;)

Your Garage is exactly what I want mine to look like too!

.... now I just need tons of cash! :)

... that connector. I can't remember for the life of me what it's for, but I know what you are talking about.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The wire is located below the dash gauges taped on column. To find mine I had to get upside down with back on mat, with a flash light and find it. There still will be some power going to this wire but not enough to light a regular bulb. If you still have 12 volts going to it when your overhead lights are off, you got the wrong wire.
Very nice show room garage you have there!
Must be a big house to go along with it!
Awesome!

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wire is located below the dash gauges taped on column. To find mine I had to get upside down with back on mat, with a flash light and find it. There still will be some power going to this wire but not enough to light a regular bulb. If you still have 12 volts going to it when your overhead lights are off, you got the wrong wire.
Very nice show room garage you have there!
Must be a big house to go along with it!
Awesome!

I remember a few people trying to use an LED bulb for the courtesy lights and running into problems because of that residual power in the wiring.

Have you tried approaching your dealership for the "puddle" lights for your 07 model? I know they're expensive but they're plug-n-play.

follow this link; http://www.moparpartsamerica.com/pa...330&callout=18&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

The wiring harness should be there under the dash. Good luck.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I remember a few people trying to use an LED bulb for the courtesy lights and running into problems because of that residual power in the wiring.

Have you tried approaching your dealership for the "puddle" lights for your 07 model? I know they're expensive but they're plug-n-play.

follow this link; http://www.moparpartsamerica.com/pa...330&callout=18&catalogid=2&displayCatalogid=0

The wiring harness should be there under the dash. Good luck.

That's what the link I posted was about, buying those from the dealer and just plugging them in since the wiring is already there. Heck I've done it before, works great. No need to run power from the roof all the way down to dang near the floor for no reason, you know?

Latest posts

Members online