HELP! Sunroof Busted, Rain In The Forecast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bwflorida

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2003 Liberty Sport's sunroof is stuck open in the tilted position
The replacement has been ordered, but won't be installed for about a week.
I'm thinking about tapeing a piece of heavy duty clear plastic over the opening, but what kind of tape should I use that won't damage the paint finish when it's removed after a week under the hot Florida sun?
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Last edited:

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would use 3m paint masking tape, the green kind, clean the area with quick detailer and apply a coat of wax to the area you will be taping to, once you remove the tape use rustoleum wax and tar remover to get rid of any residue and rewax the area, the tape and wax and tar remover are available at wal mart

nws2002

Reaction score
I had a Saturn SC2 when I was 16. There was an allen wrench in the glovebox to close the sunroof. You pulled a cover and stuck the allen wrench in the hole and twisted and it (slowly) closed the sunroof.

I guess that only helps if the fault is electrical in nature and not if a cable is broken, panel of the track, etc. Still, wonder why Jeep doesn't have anything similar?

bwflorida

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After thinking about this problem for a while, I bought some of that foam pipe insulation, slipped the split end over the edge of the sunroof, then taped the foam to the glass. Doesn't look very good, but I think it'll keep most of the rain out.

teckman02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a Saturn SC2 when I was 16. There was an allen wrench in the glovebox to close the sunroof. You pulled a cover and stuck the allen wrench in the hole and twisted and it (slowly) closed the sunroof.

I guess that only helps if the fault is electrical in nature and not if a cable is broken, panel of the track, etc. Still, wonder why Jeep doesn't have anything similar?

Man the idea that GM decided to have something like that should have been the first clue that there sunroofs were total crap

bwflorida

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer is going to replace the sunroof on Thursday (5/2/13), and I'm going to ask that they give me all the old parts.
I will then offer the glass and other parts here in case anyone might need them.
Let me know if there's any interest in this.

Latest posts

Members online