HELP! Stalls after stopping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheap gas and/or reversion builds up a lot of sludge in the induction system. If you put any more money in it, do the fuel injector cleaning 1st. And if you buy the bottle stuff again, get Chevron's Techron.

Don't forget that 93 octane is harder to burn, not easier.

Exhaust gases in the intake tract.
Adding injector cleaner or running high octane gas will do nothing for reducing carbon buildup in the intake,does wonders for the intake valves but that is it.Don't overuse the stuff,can and will damage your cats if overused.Once a year is all that is needed in addition to the cleaners in quality gas to begin with.

A fuel induction cleaning is needed and no seafoam will not cut it.And yes it's 100% normal on all modern multi port FI engines as they all use what is called a "dry intake" since no fuel runs throught the intake,just air.The carbon build up is from when you shut the engine off and some of the intake valves are still open allowing unburnt/half burnt gasses to escape into the intake.Since the throttle body butteryfly is closed it traps it in the intake,settles and after time builds up causing all sorts of issues.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well stated TJ... Again there is no guarantee that will fix your problem, but it is the most likely thing and has to be done before you do anything else.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well aamco had no answers and could not even replicate the stall. My trans is bad though. $2000 dollar job. Shit.

Up Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here is an update on my 02 lib stalling problem.

On my way to work this morning the Lib stalled at the usual stop sign. But when I tried to restart it, the vehicle wouldn't say running. So after feathering the gas pedal I was up and running again. After a short while I heard a bang come from under the hood. Shortly there after the charging system light came on, so I knew then the belt came off. As I watched the temp gage I could see it start to creep up a bit. I knew there was a carry-out up the road a ways, and I was able to make it there without the vehicle over heating.

Long and short of it, had it towed to the dealership and had service take a look.
The A/C compassor tied up and broke the belt. The service manager and tech think its a good chance the compassor has been slowly going bad and putting a drag on the engine at an idle causing it to stall. The job will be complete tomorrow so then we'll see it that takes care of it. Fingers are crossed for now :)

I'll be back here to let all those interested in knowing how it worked out.

Keith

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didnt think of it but I can see that happening bad news is $ Ill bet between $700 & $1000

Scorask

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update, I haven't had 1 stall(braking hard or not) since adding fuel injector cleaner and running 93 octane about 2 weeks ago.

Up Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will be less than $700 for compressor,dryer,tensioner,belt,labor and tow. Didn't plan for this expense, but my employee discount helps remove some of the sting.

Hopefully that will take care of the stalling problem. I'll check back and let all know.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already disconnected my AC. Just dud the other day because when the magnetic clutch engages and the AC unit pulley runs the compressor it clicks and a technician told me it was bad and if it seized while the magnetic clutch was engaged the idle pulley, that rotates independently from the AC compressor when the magnetic clutch is not engaged, would completely stop and would ruin the serpentine belt just like what happened to Up Liberty. Now it should not be a problem for me as long as its disconnected. No stalling issues do far or rpm dropping. I'll keep you posted. ****** rebuild coming soon, on a different note. $2000 down the drain.

Up Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my belt and compressor repair did nothing to prevent the Liberty from stalling. Back to the drawing board.

Ouch on the ****** j'sjeep!

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting a second opiniOn on the ****** as well as other issues plaguing it. No luck with stalling yet. Disconnecting the AC compressor didn't help at all...

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently this other aamco says the transmission runs beautifully... I guess I'll just drive it and see how that goes. Today putting seafoam into the gas tank. I'll post results if any.

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The most recent aamco tech said he relearned the ****** and the previous aamco tech cleared the batt codes so well see if any positives arise from this. Anyone think it could be the MAP, TPS, crank or cam shaft sensors?

J'sJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So this is my next move... Going to first replace the TPS then if that's a no go I'll be replacing MAP sensor. Any advice before I jump in and start replacing parts?

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had a shop clean the fuel injection system yet? The stuff in the tank only cleans 1 part of it and may be marginal cleaning at best.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I already disconnected my AC. Just dud the other day because when the magnetic clutch engages and the AC unit pulley runs the compressor it clicks and a technician told me it was bad and if it seized while the magnetic clutch was engaged the idle pulley, that rotates independently from the AC compressor when the magnetic clutch is not engaged, would completely stop and would ruin the serpentine belt just like what happened to Up Liberty. Now it should not be a problem for me as long as its disconnected. No stalling issues do far or rpm dropping. I'll keep you posted. ****** rebuild coming soon, on a different note. $2000 down the drain.

You do know the AC runs off and on all of the time no matter what the temp is outside to circulate air in the cabin right?